I.M.Celiac

My colonoscopy prep medicine had gluten in it!? Argh.

Rate this topic

Celiac diagnosis was 6 years ago. Feel great now. 

This week, I was getting a routine colonoscopy and received a prescription for a powdered medicine called Prepopik to ahem, clean the intestines out.

I have been glutened by powdered mixes before so I realized I should check the ingredients as a precaution.

No gluten-free labeling and a vague, tiny disclaimer about "allergies to additives". Googled but came up short.

Finally called the manufacturer, Ferring.

Turns out cranberry-flavored Prepopik has gluten but orange-flavored is gluten-free!

I had cranberry ready to drink in my hand! Close call.

I barf for a day if I have gluten so under anesthesia for the colonoscopy, I would have been dry-heaving and at risk for aspirating.

Argh. 

Want to warn everyone about cranberry-flavored Prepopik! Who knew? My now-fired GI's office had never heard of it. (They seem to deal with elderly, very ill people who are too sick to google.)

Now I'm wondering if this has caused major complications for someone out there! 

Never let your guard down about gluten.

Even if the guy who diagnosed you with Celiac is prescribing you something.

Good luck! 

5 minutes ago, I.M.Celiac said:

This week, I was getting a routine colonoscopy and received a prescription for a powdered medicine called Prepopik to ahem, clean the intestines out.

I have been glutened by powdered mixes before so I realized I should check the ingredients as a precaution.

No gluten-free labeling and a vague, tiny disclaimer about "allergies to additives". Googled but came up short.

Turns out cranberry-flavored Prepopik has gluten but orange-flavored is gluten-free!

I barf for a day if I have gluten so under anesthesia for the colonoscopy, I would have been dry-heaving and at risk for aspirating.

Argh. 

Want to warn everyone about cranberry-flavored Prepopik! Who knew? My now-fired GI's office had never heard of it. (They seem to deal with elderly, very ill people who are too sick to google.)

Good luck! 

Welll...that sucks!  

Doctors don't know ingrdients off hand any more than most of us do.  It would have been nice if he/ she had the nurse check before giving it to you.

Well I have a corn allergy and the doctors tried to prescribe me a pill type with corn starch in it once. >.< Don't even get me started on other run ins with corn.
I have failed with many preps due to my odd intestines, Came up with my own prep,  I drink two whole bottles of that magnesium citrate laxative stuff and then a entire container of miralax with 64oz of warm liquid (do not mix with coffee or a acidic drink or you will feel the burn). Just be sure to be near the toilet with a snack, book, and a tablet it is going t0 be your throne for the next 4-6 hours. Baby wipes or the softest toilet paper you can find will be a life saver.

14 hours ago, I.M.Celiac said:

Argh. 

Good luck! 

That's pretty scary! 

So your colonoscopy was going to knock you out completely? In our area we only get some drug that causes a bit of amnesia. And it doesn't work very well. Wish I could get completely knocked out.