KeJo05

16 month old started gluten/dairy free smelly Bowel movement

Rate this topic

Hello all!

My son has been dealing with horrible eczema for about a year now. After many failed attempts at controlling it I have come across the solution to cut gluten as advised by many of my gluten free-friends. Everything is going great mood, improved behaviour, sleeping through the night and even though it has only been 6 days it does appear that his eczema is becoming less angry. My only concern right now are his poops. Sometimes he will have 3 or 4 a day (not every day but every couple days) and they are smelly and yellowish and chunky, very thick and chunky. Is this normal for the beginning of gluten free diet?

Thank you for taking the time!

2 minutes ago, KeJo05 said:

Hello all!

My son has been dealing with horrible eczema for about a year now. After many failed attempts at controlling it I have come across the solution to cut gluten as advised by many of my gluten free-friends. Everything is going great mood, improved behaviour, sleeping through the night and even though it has only been 6 days it does appear that his eczema is becoming less angry. My only concern right now are his poops. Sometimes he will have 3 or 4 a day (not every day but every couple days) and they are smelly and yellowish and chunky, very thick and chunky. Is this normal for the beginning of gluten free diet?

Probably depends on why he is responding to the gluten-free diet?  If he has Celiac, that is a disease that can take a while to heal and return the system to normal. \

I think for anyone, when you drastically change their diet, it can effect their bowl movements.  I would think in someone so young, whose GI system is more fragile, a drastic change in food would cause something

Edited by kareng

Hi,

You might want to go ahead and get him tested for celiac disease right away.  The testing depends on finding antibodies to gliaden (a gluten protein) in the bloodstream.  When you go off gluten the antibodies start to decline, so the testing can fail and show a negative even if he has celiac disease.  It's better to get tested for celiac before starting the gluten-free diet.  Testing later require going on a gluten challenge (eating gluten for 12 weeks), which can be very unpleasant and painful.

3 hours ago, KeJo05 said:

Hello all!

KeJo05,

If Eczema is your main complaint you need to check out this new research.

https://www.nutraingredients.com/Article/2016/09/26/Mother-s-vitamin-B-levels-affect-eczema-risk-study-finds

Look for a lotion/cream with Niacinamide in it as it's active ingredient.

It can be found in the better acne treatments.

It has/can been used for skin inflammation/eczema problems the same way it can help with Acne issues.

The article cover's it well.

I hope this is helpful.

2 Timothy 2: 7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things”  this included.

Posterboy by the grace of God,