Coach D

Sleep Problems

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, Coach D said:

Has anyone ever had insomnia related issues with Celiac? The timing of me being diagnosed and the insomnia are around the same time. I’ve had sleep problems before but this is brutal. Already had a sleep study done. 

There are 3 major things and all are related to malabsorbtion from celiac damage, Magnesium, B6, and a issue with serotonin and tryptophan. These can be addressed with supplements. For magnesium at night I found Doctors Best powdered magnesium is a great relaxing and makes you just want to sleep at night. B6 you can supplement with food or some companies make a nighttime formula for this like liquid health. The serotonin and tryptophan can be helped by taking a few tsp of pumpkin protein before bed, which also has b vitamins and magnesium in it.
Luckyvitamin.com and amazon have them I went ahead and pulled the info on the sleep well formula from liquid health http://www.liquidhealthinc.com/product/sleep-well/

12 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

There are 3 major things and all are related to malabsorbtion from celiac damage, Magnesium, B6, and a issue with serotonin and tryptophan. These can be addressed with supplements. For magnesium at night I found Doctors Best powdered magnesium is a great relaxing and makes you just want to sleep at night. B6 you can supplement with food or some companies make a nighttime formula for this like liquid health. The serotonin and tryptophan can be helped by taking a few tsp of pumpkin protein before bed, which also has b vitamins and magnesium in it.
Luckyvitamin.com and amazon have them I went ahead and pulled the info on the sleep well formula from liquid health http://www.liquidhealthinc.com/product/sleep-well/

Curious. Thinking about trying supplements for my son. How many hours of sleep has this regimen added to your total duration of sleep? 

How long have you been gluten free?  It can take time to heal because the learning for the diet is very steep and there is often a lot of collateral damage.  Make sure your diet is well-rounded and full of veggies and fruit.  Avoid processed junk food until you feel better.  Consider asking your doctor to run a mineral and vitamin panel.  Supplements may help.  Be sure they are gluten free.  

Insomnia can be attributed to celiac disease, but other issues can as well like your thyroid.  When running hyperthyroid, I would sleep less.  I also went though menopause when I was diagnosed.  Nothing like a few drenching nightsweats to ruin your sleep.  I was a walking zombie back then.  Finally, I also was diagnosed with osteoporosis.  It hurt to lay in bed.  I tossed and turned because my hips and rib cage hurt.

All resolved once I healed (which took over a year for me personally).  

Edited by cyclinglady

Ennis and Cycling lady hit on the issues I experienced well. 

After the gluten challenge I was in pain and could not sleep my joints, muscles, organs, and neuropathy made it hard to sleep. 

Then as Ennis explained even once the pain subsides the vitamins and hormones are often out of whack. 

I experienced both the magnesium and b vitamins are important. I initially struggled with supplements too so I utilized accupuncture, Epsom salt baths, and water keifer until I found the supplements I could tolerate to get the very much needed vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. 

If I get CC by gluten or my other nemesis corn my sleep often suffers.

I am sorry you are experiencing so much. Your not alone.

good luck