This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Prescription meds, what to look for gluten ingredients.

sddave

sddave Enthusiast

What prescription drugs hidden ingredients do you look for that contain gluten?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I let the pharmacy know I am celiac and need gluten free meds. The pharmacist checks.  Until I found a pharmacy that I trusted I would call the maker. Most drug companies numbers can be found on line. Some companies will say no gluten ingredients but no quarentee. That is a CYA statement. When I called companies I said I had a wheat allergy as rye and barley aren't used in meds. I felt the reps would take me more seriously that way. Meds are not returnable so if you want to check get the name of the maker, med and dosage and check before you pick them up.  Very few meds have gluten.

sddave Enthusiast
2 hours ago, ravenwoodglass said:

Very few meds have gluten.

Is that true?   I'm 7 months diagnosed and used to take very few prescriptions.

I think I got cross contamination a few months ago and my gut hasn't been well since.   It has caused me lack of sleep, anxiety, and increasingly more severe stomach pain.   Now I'm on three prescriptions from cramping, sleep, and anxiety.   Bentyl (cramping), trazodone (sleep), Sertraline HCL (generic Zoloft).

Some of my pharmacists seem clueless when I ask about gluten in the prescription.   They show me a drug list but I don't know if these ingredients contain gluten.

Maybe my SIBO has returned and is getting worse and I'm thinking I'm being glutened.  I'm seeing my GI doc. Friday.

artistsl Enthusiast
7 hours ago, sddave said:

Is that true?   I'm 7 months diagnosed and used to take very few prescriptions.

I think I got cross contamination a few months ago and my gut hasn't been well since.   It has caused me lack of sleep, anxiety, and increasingly more severe stomach pain.   Now I'm on three prescriptions from cramping, sleep, and anxiety.   Bentyl (cramping), trazodone (sleep), Sertraline HCL (generic Zoloft).

Some of my pharmacists seem clueless when I ask about gluten in the prescription.   They show me a drug list but I don't know if these ingredients contain gluten.

Maybe my SIBO has returned and is getting worse and I'm thinking I'm being glutened.  I'm seeing my GI doc. Friday.

I'm not sure about gluten, but many do contain lactose according to my pharmacist. So if you are sensitive to dairy then that could be an issue. I would look into vitamin deficiencies in regard to your sudden onset of symptoms. I've been told magnesium can help with sleep. Regarding anxiety, I started drinking dairy free kefir and that healed my DH and anxiety all within a matter of a week or so. I'd struggled with those symptoms for 12 years. I also take Garden of Life kids multi strain probiotic daily, but it wasn't until I added the kefir when I started to feel better. Also encourage just simple whole foods to treat SIBO.  such as grass and vegetarian fed meats. Basically a paleo or AIP diet. 

sddave Enthusiast
14 hours ago, artistsl said:

I'm not sure about gluten, but many do contain lactose according to my pharmacist. So if you are sensitive to dairy then that could be an issue. I would look into vitamin deficiencies in regard to your sudden onset of symptoms. I've been told magnesium can help with sleep. Regarding anxiety, I started drinking dairy free kefir and that healed my DH and anxiety all within a matter of a week or so. I'd struggled with those symptoms for 12 years. I also take Garden of Life kids multi strain probiotic daily, but it wasn't until I added the kefir when I started to feel better. Also encourage just simple whole foods to treat SIBO.  such as grass and vegetarian fed meats. Basically a paleo or AIP diet. 

Thanks so much.   I had blood work done a couple of days ago and everything is normal.   I'm occasionally take a mag. powered another member suggested.   Maybe I should it every day.  I was only taking it when I woke up at night.  I'm taking a 5 strain CVS brand probiotic.   I will see about adding dairy free kefir and try to eat more whole foods.

sddave Enthusiast
15 hours ago, artistsl said:

I started drinking dairy free kefir and that healed my DH and anxiety all within a matter of a week or so.

Which dairy free kefir product do you take?  Something like KeVita?  If so, which one.

artistsl Enthusiast
5 hours ago, sddave said:

Which dairy free kefir product do you take?  Something like KeVita?  If so, which one.

I highly recommend the brand Forager Project. It's made from cashew milk. It contains 10 different live active cultures. That stuff is like liquid gold. It's currently sold out at our local store right now. Kite Hill almond milk kefir only contains 4 cultures and Harmless Harvest coconut kefir contains 8 cultures. I found all of these at Whole Foods. Our regular grocery store doesn't carry a non dairy kefir unfortunately.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sddave Enthusiast
22 hours ago, artistsl said:

I highly recommend the brand Forager Project. It's made from cashew milk. It contains 10 different live active cultures. That stuff is like liquid gold. It's currently sold out at our local store right now. Kite Hill almond milk kefir only contains 4 cultures and Harmless Harvest coconut kefir contains 8 cultures. I found all of these at Whole Foods. Our regular grocery store doesn't carry a non dairy kefir unfortunately.

thx.

• 4 months later...
Toni B Newbie

Dr. Put me on Trazodone for sleep and wellbuterin for depression and confusion for a few months but though my Drs argued it wasn't the medication,  I went off the wellbuterin when I became chronically constipated.  It helped.  Next was the Trazodone and they also insisted it wasn't causing the terrible stomach cramps and constipation, but, turns out it was.   Tada, my stomach is finally BEGINNING to return to normal.  But now I don't sleep.  After a week and a half of being off the Trazodone I took it last night.  My anxiety levels have been rising and I wanted to sleep.  Terrible stomach cramps and constipation  returned the next day.  So now I know for sure.  My Drs kept prescribing laxatives (which only gave me gawdawful gas) and seemed to be getting annoyed with my phone calls so I had to figure it out on my own.  What terrible frustration.  I also found out I was lactose intolerant but I hope it will pass as my stomach heals, but I figured that out on my own too.  It sucks feeling like your doctor's  have given up on you.  Is there gluten in Trazodone or is it just terrible for a fragile colon?  Do other Celiacs have a problem with it?  Feeling on my own here lately.  

RMJ Mentor

Here are the ingredients, fom the FDA website, although it looks like it is generic so it could vary from maker to maker.  It does have lactose.

Each tablet, for oral administration, contains 50 mg, 100 mg, 150 mg or 300 mg of trazodone hydrochloride, USP. In addition, each tablet contains the following inactive ingredients:
50 mg and 100 mg: Corn starch, dibasic calcium phosphate, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, povidone, sodium starch glycolate, and triacetin
150 mg: magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, pregelatinized starch, and stearic acid
300 mg: magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, pregelatinized starch, sodium starch glycolate, and stearic acid

Toni B Newbie
On 4/9/2018 at 6:29 PM, RMJ said:

Here are the ingredients, fom the FDA website, although it looks like it is generic so it could vary from maker to maker.  It does have lactose.

Each tablet, for oral administration, contains 50 mg, 100 mg, 150 mg or 300 mg of trazodone hydrochloride, USP. In addition, each tablet contains the following inactive ingredients:
50 mg and 100 mg: Corn starch, dibasic calcium phosphate, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, povidone, sodium starch glycolate, and triacetin
150 mg: magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, pregelatinized starch, and stearic acid
300 mg: magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, pregelatinized starch, sodium starch glycolate, and stearic acid

Thank you for the info.  I wonder if the lactose in it made me so sick?  Or is it something else.  Maybe Trazodone is just off the table for me.  It seems there always has to be a trade-off.  Sleep or stomach wellness.  ?

Archived