JKB

Celiac diagnosed 20 yrs ago - still have questions

Rate this topic

Strangest thing happened yesterday at 2:30p. I accidentally ate a gluten piece of pumpkin cake. Last time I ate gluten accidentally (6 yrs ago) I threw up 10 to 12 times after about three and a half hours. Yesterday...nothing. No throwing up. No diarrhea. 

Is it possible for my body to heal from Celiac disease? I was under the impression that is not possible. 

Any comments about your experiences would be appreciated.

Just now, JKB said:

Strangest thing happened yesterday at 2:30p. I accidentally ate a gluten piece of pumpkin cake. Last time I ate gluten accidentally (6 yrs ago) I threw up 10 to 12 times after about three and a half hours. Yesterday...nothing. No throwing up. No diarrhea. 

Is it possible for my body to heal from Celiac disease? I was under the impression that is not possible. 

Any comments about your experiences would be appreciated.

Your intestines are healed. You still have Celiac.  Repeated gluten exposure will cause the damage again.  

Its possible that you are healed enough that a one time exposure isn't too bad.  

I've noticed over the years that my reactions are not as severe either.. but I try not to consume

As was explained to me - Your gut heals and yes, you probably could eat gluten again and not feel any ill affect, for a while.  However....!  The damage is starting all over again.  Like picking a scab off of a sore.  Sort of a nasty comparison but accurate.  Celiac never goes away.    Google the banana babies.  Very interesting as it fully explains why celiac was once thought to be a childhood disease, 

On 11 December 2017 at 12:23 AM, cap6 said:

As was explained to me - Your gut heals and yes, you probably could eat gluten again and not feel any ill affect, for a while.  However....!  The damage is starting all over again.  Like picking a scab off of a sore.  Sort of a nasty comparison but accurate.  Celiac never goes away.    Google the banana babies.  Very interesting as it fully explains why celiac was once thought to be a childhood disease, 

That is a fascinating read, should be required reading for any scientist really.

There are a lot of posts on here and elsehwhere from people who were told that they would / had 'grown out' of it. I had asthma from late childhood and was told similar. I 'grew out of it' 30 years later when I changed my diet.

Some time back I met an elderly lady that was one of the banana babies.  She had recently been rediagnosed with celiac.   It is amazing at the strides that have been made in just the 8 years since I was first diagnosed.  Hope for the future that as many won't endlessly suffer.