ashley14083

Help Converting a Recipe!!

Rate this topic

I've been told repeatedly to not even try to convert this recipe because it's a yeast recipe but it's an absolute staple in my family for holidays and I just can't imagine celebrating without them. The recipe is below and I currently have both King Arthurs All Purpose Flour and their Cup for Cup. At this point I would buy anything though.

2Pkgs Instant Rise Yeast
1 tbsp. sugar
1/4 cup of water 105-115 degrees
  mix and let stand
mix 3/4 cup milk
       3 tbsp. sugar
      1 tsp salt
      4 tbsp. butter
scald then cool to 105-115 degrees add to yeast mixture and add one egg
add 3-4 cups all purpose flour, let rise until it doubles
roll into balls and place in muffin pans, allow to rise again and then bake at 350 for 10-15 mins

I hope its not a lost cause!

It is not a lost cause!  Just make sure you include a Gum, like Xanthan Gum,  that replaces the “gluten”.  You can buy that separately.  Some flours, like Pamela’s,  already have a Gum added to their flour mixture.  This is hard to explain, but use a little less flour (e.g. 1/4 cup).  You can always add more when converting from a regular gluten recipe to a gluten-free one.  

Mind you, gluten eaters will notice a difference, but they will still be delicious.  gluten-free baked goods do not last long on the counter, so freeze them.  gluten-free dough tends to stick, so use parchment paper (or those little liners for the muffin tins).  

Edited by cyclinglady