Jump to content
  • Sign Up
LexieA

Raw Goats Milk cheese-anyone who can eat this?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I keep going back and forth with dairy. I can't do cow's milk products at all but has anyone who doesn't do well with cow's milk products been able to eat small amounts of goat or sheep milk cheese? I just really need more fat, I'm struggling energy wise. I was thinking of experimenting with small amounts maybe once or twice a week. I want to avoid nuts for the moment, I'm having issues. I also need more vitamin D. I'm taking a supplement but I can't take much or it makes me feel sick. I'm eating more types of vegetables than before and actually had some salmon last night without any really horrid reaction. (I couldn't eat salmon 6 months ago).

Would raw goats milk cheese give me any extra benefit to not eating it? I can think of D and fat. 

Does cheese help with your teeth at all?

Thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is a lactose issue it will probably still bother you, early on over 10 years ago with my lactose intolerance I tried the goats cheese, it was not as painful but it still caused issues.
You mention nuts, tried nut butters? I tolerate nut butters and cheese made with nuts very well. Homemade cashew cheese is wonderful but being not a true nit it can be iffy with people. I also make a coconut cheese that is much cheaper, but grainy but works in a pinach. I love a few different cheeses from the store. I have a list of cheese products that are non dairy on the gluten-free food list I composed.

Avocado is also another fat, some people have issues with it but I find it very easy to digest. I love it in all forms and just finished off a big bowl of homemade guacamole, and a batch of avocado icecream I made up. >.< I have a recipe for even making frosting with it. Pairs well with eggs and the grain free toast I use.

Many celiac have dairy intolerance at least starting off due  to damaged villi and not being able to produce enough of the enzymes to break it down, some like me it is life. I talked and convinced myself that dairy is evil with various reading, I meal really why would we suck on another animals teat for its milk for ITS babies ....just does not make sense logically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I react to any product derived from cows milk but i can eat small amounts of  goats milk cheese,yogurt and kefir. However i cant drink goats milk.I think you should try goats milk kefir, it has a good amount of fat,bilions of probiotics :) And butter! Contains small amount of lactose (especially when you make ghee from it)  i buy goat butter  from a certified gluten free brand ( I live in Turkey , though, I dont know  which brands are gluten-free in your country)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

If it is a lactose issue it will probably still bother you, early on over 10 years ago with my lactose intolerance I tried the goats cheese, it was not as painful but it still caused issues.
You mention nuts, tried nut butters? I tolerate nut butters and cheese made with nuts very well. Homemade cashew cheese is wonderful but being not a true nit it can be iffy with people. I also make a coconut cheese that is much cheaper, but grainy but works in a pinach. I love a few different cheeses from the store. I have a list of cheese products that are non dairy on the gluten-free food list I composed.

Avocado is also another fat, some people have issues with it but I find it very easy to digest. I love it in all forms and just finished off a big bowl of homemade guacamole, and a batch of avocado icecream I made up. >.< I have a recipe for even making frosting with it. Pairs well with eggs and the grain free toast I use.

Many celiac have dairy intolerance at least starting off due  to damaged villi and not being able to produce enough of the enzymes to break it down, some like me it is life. I talked and convinced myself that dairy is evil with various reading, I meal really why would we suck on another animals teat for its milk for ITS babies ....just does not make sense logically.

I'm not sure if it's lactose. If I experiment and still feel awful from it it might be that. And I want to try making those nut cheeses sometime soon. I ordered some cooking stuff and mesh strainers to try and make almond milk so maybe I'll try making some cheese at the same time. Coconut cheese sounds intriguing. I'll look that up too. Nut butters I over did and then didn't feel so great but that was over 6 months ago so I could try a little and see. I could just start with small amounts. I think too my stomach just couldn't digest fat at all before and it seems like it's a bit better now.

Avocado I can do now! I couldn't before and I'm so glad it's back. But I've only sliced it into salads so far so avocado ice cream and guacamole sound crazy good to me right now. Anything I can make ahead and keep for a few days is good too. Avocado frosting - can I eat that just with a spoon? ^_^

I know the thing about having milk from animals. I don't know if it really helps but when I have had any I try to find somewhere where it's not mass produced. Like there is a family near by that has some goats and you can have milk but they only do that in the spring and summer. The goats seem okay but I know what you mean. And it is pretty weird if you think about it. : (

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, lilo said:

I react to any product derived from cows milk but i can eat small amounts of  goats milk cheese,yogurt and kefir. However i cant drink goats milk.I think you should try goats milk kefir, it has a good amount of fat,bilions of probtics :) And butter! Contains small amount of lactose (especially when you make ghee from it)  i buy goat butter  from a certified gluten free brand ( I live in Turkey , though, I dont which brands are gluten-free in your country)

I never heard of goat butter but I guess I could make it if I had raw goats milk. Which I don't at the moment. I'd have to see if anyone has goat's milk kefir, billions of probotics would be good though! I've heard of ghee but I'll have to look up how to make it. It's interesting that you are okay on those items in moderation even though you can't have cow's milk. I'll have a look around locally and see what there is. I think I did read that when you make cheese or butter (or ghee) it greatly lessons the lactose. If I do try it it will be only really small amounts. Anyways, that's what I wondered, that some people can't have cows milk but can have goats milk products. So that's really interesting to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2017 at 5:47 AM, LexieA said:

I'm not sure if it's lactose. If I experiment and still feel awful from it it might be that. And I want to try making those nut cheeses sometime soon. I ordered some cooking stuff and mesh strainers to try and make almond milk so maybe I'll try making some cheese at the same time. Coconut cheese sounds intriguing. I'll look that up too. Nut butters I over did and then didn't feel so great but that was over 6 months ago so I could try a little and see. I could just start with small amounts. I think too my stomach just couldn't digest fat at all before and it seems like it's a bit better now.

Avocado I can do now! I couldn't before and I'm so glad it's back. But I've only sliced it into salads so far so avocado ice cream and guacamole sound crazy good to me right now. Anything I can make ahead and keep for a few days is good too. Avocado frosting - can I eat that just with a spoon? ^_^

I know the thing about having milk from animals. I don't know if it really helps but when I have had any I try to find somewhere where it's not mass produced. Like there is a family near by that has some goats and you can have milk but they only do that in the spring and summer. The goats seem okay but I know what you mean. And it is pretty weird if you think about it. : (

 

LONG POST incoming I got my cheese sauce recipes compiled and going to throw in my frosting....and yes I normally eat it by the spoon, I make a sugar free version with lakanto.

4 Of my Favorite Cheese sauces
Will list the ingredients for each one, they all use the exact same cooking method which will follow.
Super Sticky Mozzarella
1/2 cup of cashews soaked over night and drained
1 cup water
1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
3 tbsp Tapioca Starch
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 tsp garlic
1/2 salt

Poor Mans Mozzarella
3 tbsp coconut flour
1 cup Unsweetened Plain Cashew or Almond milk (refrigerated version)
2 1/2 tbsp Tapioca Starch
2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 garlic powder
1/4 salt
1/2 tsp Psyllium husk unflavored

Cheddar
1/2 cup of cashews soaked over night and drained
1 cup water
1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
2 tbsp Tapioca Starch
1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar bit more if you find the bite lacking and for a sharper one
1/4 tsp garlic
1/2 salt
1 tsp Annatto
1/2 tsp Psyllium husk unflavored

1. Blend all the ingredients for you cheese flavor very well in a blender
2. In a sauce pan heat over medium high stirring CONSTANTLY for 5-10 mins. First it will start forming clumps then it will thicken up. Remove from heat and stir a bit longer til it cools to prevent burning.

Sometimes I use Lemon Juice in them in place of the vinegar, this really depends on your preference to a more citrus blend or a more bite in your cheese. Any feed back or blends you do with them? Would love to hear about some suggestions for blends.

Keto Chocolate frosting
2 large ripe avocados
1/2cup cocoa powder
6-8tbsp Lakanto Sugar Free Maple
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Thin out with a bit of almond milk if needed to desired consistency
Blend all in a blender or a food processor until completely smooth.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha, Ennis that's given me no excuse not to make it now!  I've been faffing around about it but now I think I must try it out! They honestly don't sound too hard to do either.

The Keto Chocolate frosting I think I can make today if the avocados are ripe enough. I just got some maple sugar and maple syrup (I know I'm bad) but I'll look at the sugar free one. I know I don't feel too well if I eat pure sugar but I couldn't help it. I think I have everything else and it sounds super good.

Thanks so much Ennis!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...