Yubra

Wish all products would be labeled

Rate this topic

I am newly diagnosed and am seriously trying to follow all guidelines from my doctor.    I use a phone app (gluten-free Scan) that helps a lot when shopping but it would be so much easier if all products were labeled  either gluten-free or not gluten-free with a line through the letters gluten-free.     Since I started this journey, I am amazed at the number of people who are dealing with Celiacs and hopefully soon our needs will be more thoroughly addressed by the food industry.

Sorta is, you shop specialty brands that focus on gluten free, and other brands that do non gluten food you learn which ones to trust. In the US most companies are required to list wheat/gluten on the label as a ingredient/allergen after the ingredient list.

They also while not required, will often even list if it is done in the same facility/building that handles wheat/gluten. Although this last part is more of a disclaimer of liability for the company.
I am a bit paranoid about it, and once bitten twice shy about CC and getting sick to the point of becoming aggressive toward the company that caused it. I have compiled a general list of companies I am familiar with and would trust. https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/119661-gluten-free-food-alternative-list-2017/

Unsure if there is one around you but I find many companies via Gluten Free, Allergen Friendly, Paleo oriented Expos, you go to these places full of safe foods and get to try samples, get coupons, win products, etc.

Any packaged food product sold in the US is required by law to disclose the top eight allergens in plain language. Wheat must be listed as just that, "wheat." 

The eight allergens under the federal Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA) are: wheat, soy, milk, peanuts, eggs, tree nuts, fish, and crustacean shellfish.

FALCPA requires that in the case of tree nuts, the specific type of nut must be declared (e.g., almonds, pecans, or walnuts). The species must be declared for fish (e.g., bass, flounder, or cod) and Crustacean shellfish (crab, lobster, or shrimp).