This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dairy free Pizza cheese alternatives?

mystic

mystic Enthusiast

My research shows that Chao cheese is the best tasting alternative for dairy-free option but it's very expensive, what do you guys use which comes closest to cheese taste and texture please?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
4 minutes ago, mystic said:

My research shows that Chao cheese is the best tasting alternative for dairy-free option but it's very expensive, what do you guys use which comes closest to cheese taste and texture please?

Califlour foods plant crust is like a flat bread pizza grain free and dairy free, I top it with my own homemade cheese sauces or sometimes go cheap and use daiya cheese on it. I did a post with various dairy free alternatives for cheeses. The recipe section here has a recipe for making a flat bread grain free crust, a cauliflower crust, a recipe for using upside down protabello mushrooms for mini pizza/bagel pizza alternatives, my cheese sauce recipes, etc. Heck recently fell in love with a new cheese spread by LeafCusine which has just a few ingredients, dairy free, and epic, there is also spread like kitehill. and I have used that Califlour crust last week with mashed avocado.

Dairy Free Alternatives to Dairy Foods

Open Original Shared Link
^ Almond, cashew, coconut, blends etc.

^ More Almond, cashew, coconut, blends, they also offer yogurt and icecream alternatives.

^ They offer many coconut options, Yogurt, cheese, milks, icecream pints, icecream bars.

^VERY high end minimally processed almond milk, one the the best

^ NUT FREE, Dairy Free options of a rich milk alternative from yellow peas (legumes)

^Flax Based milk alternatives

^ BEST and least processed cheese spreads, cream cheese etc. I can eat these without any issues

^Offers Vegan cheese slices, cheese blocks, cheese shreds, pizza, CHEESE CAKES!, yogurt, s

^ Diary free and vegan, cheese, spreads, dips, dressings, condiments

*^ICE CREAM by the pint AND THEY SHIP IT TO YOU, Dairy free, soy free, sugar free, PERFECT bliss I suggest getting the gluten free pastry pack

PIZZA

mystic Enthusiast

Thanks a million, I will look into all of those links tomorrow. The crust is not an issue and I can simply use mushrooms for topping, I don;t eat pizza regularly, it's on the diary-free cheese is the issue, of all the options yo have given, can you tell me is your fav or which option would give the closest taste to regular dairy cheese please?

mystic Enthusiast

I browsed through some of the links, I am going to try the Chao cheese as first option since their reviews is the best I am coming across:

Will also try Veganaise for gluten-free macaroni salad.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Found this Open Original Shared Link

I must say daiya while it does have a bunch of stuff in it melts the best in the oven. Raw...not so good shred wise, I do like their blocks like jalapeno havarit and smoked gouda. I have some others I like and really prefer my cheese sauces but it works in a pinch, I also found it works best with my garlic cheesy knots. There are some other newer ones out there that I can not try due to corn or soy in them. I heard the so delicious shreds that came out recently melted crazy good. But alas they use corn starch in them -_- Not worth the fever and blood blisters from my allergy lol.

mystic Enthusiast

The Daiya cheese also has good reviews, if the Chao should not turn out to be as the reviews state, for me, then I will try the Daiya.

Yes I too have to keep away from corn products

Ennis-TX Grand Master
9 minutes ago, mystic said:

The Daiya cheese also has good reviews, if the Chao should not turn out to be as the reviews state, for me, then I will try the Daiya.

Yes I too have to keep away from corn products

THEN hold your horses the chao has corn. Look at the ingredients,

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mystic Enthusiast

Yes I overlooked checking the ingredients since it was a vegan product "modified corn and potato starch, potato starch"

• 2 months later...
mystic Enthusiast
On 11/27/2017 at 1:34 PM, Ennis_TX said:

I must say daiya while it does have a bunch of stuff in it melts the best in the oven. Raw...not so good shred wise,I heard the so delicious shreds that came out recently melted crazy good. But alas they use corn starch in them -_- Not worth the fever and blood blisters from my allergy lol.

Yes Ennix, you are very accurate with this [thanks!], raw it packs a punch but tasted great on toast with butter.  I got the Bob's gluten-free pizza crust mix so this w/e I will try it out with just ths cheese and mushrooms, will report back.  I can eat a regualr cheese sandwich with this cheese though, just with maybe half a slice.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
48 minutes ago, mystic said:

Yes Ennix, you are very accurate with this [thanks!], raw it packs a punch but tasted great on toast with butter.  I got the Bob's gluten-free pizza crust mix so this w/e I will try it out with just ths cheese and mushrooms, will report back.  I can eat a regualr cheese sandwich with this cheese though, just with maybe half a slice.

I found something called leaf Cuisine cheese spread this year...VERY few ingredients, gluten free, and has a nice cheezy tang to it of a fresh cultured cheese. The Smoked Gouda and Pepper Jack Spreads are my favorite over bread, try it on some toasted (I use my grain free versions akin to Julian Bakery that I make) with some meat lettuce and tomato...OMG. I just did some on a piece of toast then morning with TJ Salmon Bacon with my scrambled eggs whites and protes chips (migas) this morning. PS I do mix mine as I like the smokey flavor with the pepper jack.

mystic Enthusiast

Great thanks, I will definitely try that too, I see they have dairy free options so that if gluten-free will work for me.

mystic Enthusiast
On 2/5/2018 at 8:04 AM, Ennis_TX said:

I found something called leaf Cuisine cheese spread this year...VERY few ingredients, gluten free, 

I want to order the classic Plain version which shows "dairy alternative", would anyone be able to know if that is totally dairy free please? I had written to them asking this question about a week ago with no response.

Also the Bob's Pizza crust mix was a dud or maybe the way I made the dough, as mentioned I am not good at baking so will need to try to find a crust but the reviews on cauliflower crust is not encouraging.  Also the Daiya cheese did not melt so tasted too dry, I would need another gluten-free Dairy free option. I used to order pizza which came with a mix of cheese and ranch dressing I think, was a great option since I can't use tomato sauce, if I can find something like that and a good pizza crust then I would be all set.

So that's where I'm at regarding pizza,

Ennis-TX Grand Master
18 minutes ago, mystic said:

I want to order the classic Plain version which shows "dairy alternative", would anyone be able to know if that is totally dairy free please? I had written to them asking this question about a week ago with no response.

Also the Bob's Pizza crust mix was a dud or maybe the way I made the dough, as mentioned I am not good at baking so will need to try to find a crust but the reviews on cauliflower crust is not encouraging.  Also the Daiya cheese did not melt so tasted too dry, I would need another gluten-free Dairy free option. I used to order pizza which came with a mix of cheese and ranch dressing I think, was a great option since I can't use tomato sauce, if I can find something like that and a good pizza crust then I would be all set.

So that's where I'm at regarding pizza,

Leaf Cusine is TOTALLY dairy free. Diaya....I am going to be honest, the stock I have is from over a year ago. They changed formula to add in xantham gum, and I bought a several cases and deep freeze them...stuff keeps for years in the freezer. SO either my different formula melts better or my freezing then, defrosting, then using them broke them up to melt better.
If you want anything and everything to TASTE like pizza....Flavor God makes a seasoning that does that.....bit too salty and expensive for my liking but I used it a bunch last year (used to be $6.99 a bottle they now want almost $10)
I also used to use lisanatti years ago but around 2 years ago they added in casiain protein -_-
There is So Delicious cheese shreds but they changed out potato starch for corn starch awhile back and alas my corn allergy.....
OH there is one thing I found Kite Hill Ricotta is dairy free, corn free, and gum, free....unsure about pizza but OMG it is great in scrambles with meat subs  and marinara sauce with eggs....>.> like raviolis.
I heard the Simple mills pizza crust and Julians were good...but I have just been using Califlour Foods....bit crips and more flatbread like but works. I make one with coconut flour and egg whites also but it......is very much not a pizza crust.

PS the dairy alternative....if your talking about the NOT cream cheese.....that is a cream cheese alternative. Pizza the Garlic Herb, and Pesto are good the smoked gouda is a awesome twist on everything.

mystic Enthusiast
35 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

Leaf Cusine is TOTALLY dairy free. 
If you want anything and everything to TASTE like pizza....Flavor God makes a seasoning that does that.

OH there is one thing I found Kite Hill Ricotta is dairy free, corn free, and gum, free....unsure about pizza but OMG it is great in scrambles with meat subs  and marinara sauce with eggs....>.> like raviolis.

I heard the Simple mills pizza crust and Julians were good..

Thanks for all the info, noted on the Leaf Cuisine and yes Garlic and herb will work for me.

Looking at the flavor God recipes, something like this if I can get ready made might work for fish?

As a pizza sauce alternative to tomato sauce, anything gluten-free and dairy free out there?

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, mystic said:

Thanks for all the info, noted on the Leaf Cuisine and yes Garlic and herb will work for me.

Looking at the flavor God recipes, something like this if I can get ready made might work for fish?

As a pizza sauce alternative to tomato sauce, anything gluten-free and dairy free out there?

LOL I should have linked you flavor god the spice company....they have a spice that makes EVERYTHING taste like pizza, they put tomato powder etc in it so it is like the sauce, spices, etc minus the cheese. I was using it in omelettes and on veggie fries I have found some flax chips from GoRAW that also taste a bit like pizza, Open Original Shared Link

mystic Enthusiast

What if I were to put that Herb and Garlic cheese spread on a gluten-free pzza crust then bake, would work similar to having regular cheese on a pizza? I mean melt into the crust?

Ennis-TX Grand Master
9 minutes ago, mystic said:

What if I were to put that Herb and Garlic cheese spread on a gluten-free pzza crust then bake, would work similar to having regular cheese on a pizza? I mean melt into the crust?

Flavor probably,,,texture no. The thing that gives non dairy cheese that stretchy melty goodness is normally tapioca starch.  When I make non dairy cheese at home, and I used to want it super stretchy I added tapioca starch. MY gut is iffy with the stuff now days and not made my super stretchy cheese in awhile. The Leaf Cuisine does not contain any starches so it will not stretch. The flavor is great but think of it like a spreadable cheese not a melty one. Heating it up on a crust the entire time will dry it out. If using it on a pizza, prebake your crust then add it at the end spread over the top with your other ingredients and finish for 5ish mins.

mystic Enthusiast

Until I should find a melty cheese replacement I will definitely try that method, thanks! Only ingredients I use are some mushrooms and a couple slices of Jalapeno or Pimento.

I might try this for a gluten-free ready made crust:

and thinking of trying this for another dairy free cheese option:

Ennis-TX Grand Master
20 hours ago, mystic said:

Until I should find a melty cheese replacement I will definitely try that method, thanks! Only ingredients I use are some mushrooms and a couple slices of Jalapeno or Pimento.

I might try this for a gluten-free ready made crust:

and thinking of trying this for another dairy free cheese option:

Yeah I did some checking daiya changed recipe, they now make a new style that is for pizza called cutting board that is more stretchy/melt. It comes in Mozzarella, cheddar, and pepper jack. The plain shreds do not melt like they used to, and now have the added xantham gum. 
I went to the store yesterday and found another cheese called veganmoz by miyoko which is supposed to melt really good according to the store rep.
As for crust, this being italian food month....I got a simple meals grain free pizza crust mix...I am dying to try putting it in a spring form pan and make a chicago style deep crust pizza.

mystic Enthusiast

Great, they sell the Daiya cheeses at a local Stop and Shop here, will check it out this w/e and get the cutting board version thanks!

mystic Enthusiast
On 2/13/2018 at 8:27 AM, Ennis_TX said:

The Leaf Cuisine does not contain any starches so it will not stretch. The flavor is great but think of it like a spreadable cheese not a melty one. Heating it up on a crust the entire time will dry it out. If using it on a pizza, prebake your crust then add it at the end spread over the top with your other ingredients and finish for 5ish mins.

Can you tell me where you purchased the Leaf cuisine please? I've tried contacting them directly but never get a response and I am not finding this for sale online.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
2 hours ago, mystic said:

Can you tell me where you purchased the Leaf cuisine please? I've tried contacting them directly but never get a response and I am not finding this for sale online.

4 of the wholefoods I visit in the area all have them, they also have that miyoko I was talking about. Along with some new kind of nut cheese I have not tried due to xantham gum....and a whole bunch of others I want to try but are cost prohibitive.....side note I got some KiteHill Ricotta out of date for free yesterday....stuff is awesome in a scramble with marinara sauce lol.

mystic Enthusiast

There is a wholefoods store here too, I will check thanks. Strange though that their site doesn't have any info on where their products are being sold and non-existant customer service, oh well.

• 2 weeks later...
mystic Enthusiast

The wholefoods store here did not have it, can't find it on their website either, anywhere else I can try please?

Ennis-TX Grand Master
31 minutes ago, mystic said:

The wholefoods store here did not have it, can't find it on their website either, anywhere else I can try please?

Talk to the dairy manager or who ever is in charge of that section and have them order you some, if one store has it then it is in their system. You can ask them and give them a UPC code and they can look it up and order a case of it. I recently due to your questions went on a bit of a cheese quest, found a nice scallion spread from Tree line,,,their plain cheese was bad but the scallion spread was great, I got some Vegan Mozz from miyoko to play with, and got a simple mills pizza crust mix I plan to have some fun with.

Archived