This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dairy free Pizza cheese alternatives?

mystic

mystic Enthusiast

Just got off the phone with Wholefoods, person said only way I can possibly order it would be for me to contact a store which actually carries it and he recommended I ask you if you can give me the physical location of the store you get it from so I can contact the to see if they can ship to me?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, mystic said:

Just got off the phone with Wholefoods, person said only way I can possibly order it would be for me to contact a store which actually carries it and he recommended I ask you if you can give me the physical location of the store you get it from so I can contact the to see if they can ship to me?

OK odd but the one I shop at is Whole Foods on Park Lane in Dallas Tx. here is a picture of their non dairy cheese section lower half. Missed getting the shreds in the top half. You can see the Leaf Cusines tubs below the daiya next to the kit hill and the Miyoko Vegan Mozz below the tree line to the right, the tree line scallion is right next to the ricotta which if I might say my most marvelous find yet....but damn that pricing.  Open Original Shared Link
La1MjzK.webp

mystic Enthusiast

Thanks but nothing else I can do here but seek some other option. Just called that store, they don't ship and directed me to the Amazon whole foods online store but same deal.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
22 minutes ago, mystic said:

Thanks but nothing else I can do here but seek some other option. Just called that store, they don't ship and directed me to the Amazon whole foods online store but same deal.

Shipping is expensive about $13 for flat rate medium 2 day box. BUT I can go and grab a large assortment of Diary free cheeses for you, load up a box with them and cold packs and ship it to you if you want to cover the cheese cost and the shipping. -_- At this point I think we have reached you should just get a big ole sampler of a bit of everything and try stuff out. They have more shreds on the top shelf I wish I had gotten picture of so you could pick and choose (they had 3 other brands of shreds but 2 used corn so I have never bothered).  

mystic Enthusiast

I really appreciate that but won't be a long term solution as I will always need to order whenever in the future. So will need to get a source from which I will be able to order myself. 

I will try the Daiya cutting board version.

mystic Enthusiast

Can you tell me which of these 2 tastes better as a spread on a slice of vegan bread please? The review is showing kite hill as the better option

Open Original Shared Link

Ennis-TX Grand Master
13 minutes ago, mystic said:

Can you tell me which of these 2 tastes better as a spread on a slice of vegan bread please? The review is showing kite hill as the better option

Kite hill by a long shot the daiya has a chemical flavor, I recognize it as artificially cream cheese flavoring I use in my flavor drops....I loved the kite hill so much...I kept eating it even though it made me puke after....just tasted that good. (I am intolerant to xantham gum which is in both of those but the kite hill was worth it) BTW their ricotta is xantham gum free...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mystic Enthusiast

Thanks, will try the kite hill as a spread and will try the cutting board daiya for the pizza. I am confused with one thing though regarding the words "cutting board", you had said that is the better version than the regular. Daiya support had directed me to this product as the cutting board version but I am not seeing those words in the description:

Ennis-TX Grand Master
6 minutes ago, mystic said:

Thanks, will try the kite hill as a spread and will try the cutting board daiya for the pizza. I am confused with one thing though regarding the words "cutting board", you had said that is the better version than the regular. Daiya support had directed me to this product as the cutting board version but I am not seeing those words in the description:

This confuses me, I know the package will say the cutting board style....but without seeing the package I do not know. BTW if you get more of the non cutting board style I have the BEST cheesy bread recipe that works with their normal version of shred so as to not go to waste (I was planning on sending some if I got the chance to ship you stuff) anyway. I do have one other thought of something you might enjoy the Parma cheese sprinkle there...the bacon one is to die for and the others flavors are pretty good. You can contact parma directly for samples if you wish to do some prior.

mystic Enthusiast

I have written to the Dave from Daiya support for clarity on the cutting board issue since as you've stated the package itself is not showing. Will look into the Parma.

• 6 months later...
mystic Enthusiast
On 11/27/2017 at 1:58 PM, Ennis_TX said:

Hi, been a while. Just writing back to say that the local Shoprite had the Daiya cheese line all this time in the store, just didn't reflect it on their site.

i must say both the cheese slices and spread tastes really great. Only issue i have with the spread is the cover doesn't snap on so is loose all the time.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
4 minutes ago, mystic said:

Hi, been a while. Just writing back to say that the local Shoprite had the Daiya cheese line all this time in the store, just didn't reflect it on their site.

i must say both the cheese slices and spread tastes really great. Only issue i have with the spread is the cover doesn't snap on so is loose all the time.

Good to hear... I miss it lol, I started reacting to all daiya cheese quite bad, and ran out of my frozen stocks of the old stuff prexantham gum era. Called them to find out the reason and checked all ingredients...the citric acid and xantham gum they use is from corn....a allergy of mine.

I been playing with Miyoko for pizza, and leaf cuisine spreads on everything else. I even found way to make Miyoko stretch like the crazy mozzarella they load on pizzas...trick was to Melt it in 12oz of warm water, then mix in 3tbsp coconut flour, and 1-3tsp psyllium husk...it even stretches when cold lol Adjust ht husk powder to get your texture 3 is almost a goo....and it changes the flavor...a bit more like string cheese.

mystic Enthusiast

Yes I remember you are allergic to corn, sorry. I haven't done the pizza yet, will give it a try during the winter.

Archived