Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Fbmb

Kroger Brand Tomato Sauce

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know if Kroger brand tomato sauce is gluten free? I didn't buy any but I ate some last night at a family member's house. She also has Celiac so I assumed it was safe. But today my stomach is a little off. I don't know if that tomato sauce could have contained gluten. It didn't list wheat as an ingredient but it does list "natural flavors" as an ingredient. I went to their website and they blatantly explain that they won't disclose barley or rye in anything and that they recommend you call them. But they're only open Monday-Friday. I don't buy Kroger brand stuff because they don't sell it in my town, but I definitely won't now, since I think their customer service and labeling practices are pathetic. 

Has anyone else run into this with them, and do any of you have an answer for me? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Fbmb said:

Does anyone know if Kroger brand tomato sauce is gluten free? I didn't buy any but I ate some last night at a family member's house. She also has Celiac so I assumed it was safe. But today my stomach is a little off. I don't know if that tomato sauce could have contained gluten. It didn't list wheat as an ingredient but it does list "natural flavors" as an ingredient. I went to their website and they blatantly explain that they won't disclose barley or rye in anything and that they recommend you call them. But they're only open Monday-Friday. I don't buy Kroger brand stuff because they don't sell it in my town, but I definitely won't now, since I think their customer service and labeling practices are pathetic. 

Has anyone else run into this with them, and do any of you have an answer for me? 

Sounds like it is gluten-free.  Sometimes my stomach is a little off but I can't assume it is always gluten.  This time of year, in the US, we are over eating and eating rich foods we don't normally eat....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, kareng said:

Sounds like it is gluten-free.  Sometimes my stomach is a little off but I can't assume it is always gluten.  This time of year, in the US, we are over eating and eating rich foods we don't normally eat....

I'm Spanish, and we made tamales. Again, with my aunt who has celiac and has had it for 20 years. I ate 3 tamales (masa is made of lard and the meat is an olive oil base with lots of chili powder), refried beans (more lard), Spanish rice , where the sauce was (lots of olive oil in that too), and pumpkin pie with whipped cream. I also ate pistachio pudding. I took lactaid for the dairy. But I added up all the fiber in that evening and it's like 26 grams. I never eat lard. Ever. But it had been so long and I love tamales. When I look at that list I guess it's no wonder my gut was a little icky today. That's a ton of fat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Fbmb said:

I'm Spanish, and we made tamales. Again, with my aunt who has celiac and has had it for 20 years. I ate 3 tamales (masa is made of lard and the meat is an olive oil base with lots of chili powder), refried beans (more lard), Spanish rice , where the sauce was (lots of olive oil in that too), and pumpkin pie with whipped cream. I also ate pistachio pudding. I took lactaid for the dairy. But I added up all the fiber in that evening and it's like 26 grams. I never eat lard. Ever. But it had been so long and I love tamales. When I look at that list I guess it's no wonder my gut was a little icky today. That's a ton of fat. 

 

32 minutes ago, Fbmb said:

I'm Spanish, and we made tamales. Again, with my aunt who has celiac and has had it for 20 years. I ate 3 tamales (masa is made of lard and the meat is an olive oil base with lots of chili powder), refried beans (more lard), Spanish rice , where the sauce was (lots of olive oil in that too), and pumpkin pie with whipped cream. I also ate pistachio pudding. I took lactaid for the dairy. But I added up all the fiber in that evening and it's like 26 grams. I never eat lard. Ever. But it had been so long and I love tamales. When I look at that list I guess it's no wonder my gut was a little icky today. That's a ton of fat. 

That sounds so good!  But, I bet anyone would be a bit off after all that!  ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Fbmb said:

I'm Spanish, and we made tamales. Again, with my aunt who has celiac and has had it for 20 years. I ate 3 tamales (masa is made of lard and the meat is an olive oil base with lots of chili powder), refried beans (more lard), Spanish rice , where the sauce was (lots of olive oil in that too), and pumpkin pie with whipped cream. I also ate pistachio pudding. I took lactaid for the dairy. But I added up all the fiber in that evening and it's like 26 grams. I never eat lard. Ever. But it had been so long and I love tamales. When I look at that list I guess it's no wonder my gut was a little icky today. That's a ton of fat. 

Sounds delicious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cook with lard and suffer from no ill effects, but my body is used to a diet rich in fats.  For me, tamales are out.  Why?  The chili’s!   There was chili in all those dishes (I have an intolerance to them).  I can tell you that the older you get, you tend to lose your taste buds too.   My Aunt (over 80) just over spices everything!  Maybe your Aunt did the same?     I would not think it would be the canned tomatoes.  Like Karen said, we eat a lot of uncommon foods during the holidays.  

 Did your Aunt react?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

I cook with lard and suffer from no ill effects, but my body is used to a diet rich in fats.  For me, tamales are out.  Why?  The chili’s!   There was chili in all those dishes (I have an intolerance to them).  I can tell you that the older you get, you tend to lose your taste buds too.   My Aunt (over 80) just over spices everything!  Maybe your Aunt did the same?     I would not think it would be the canned tomatoes.  Like Karen said, we eat a lot of uncommon foods during the holidays.  

 Did your Aunt react?  

She didnt say she did. My little guy ate a lot of rice and he didn't have any issues today either. It also could have been all the fiber. I added it all up and it was almost 30 grams, which is more than I'm used to eating in a sitting. Or I could have just had an "off" morning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fbmb said:

She didnt say she did. My little guy ate a lot of rice and he didn't have any issues today either. It also could have been all the fiber. I added it all up and it was almost 30 grams, which is more than I'm used to eating in a sitting. Or I could have just had an "off" morning. 

Sometimes, we just tend to blame celiac disease for everything.  Sounds like your Aunt and son are fine.  Bet you had an off day or your fiber theory might be correct.  Feel better fast......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Discussions

    It is ugly truth that taking vitamins/minerals with RDA and AI can leads to major side effect. Biotin: it comes in food and supplement. It is highly suggested not to take it doses more than 30 µg. Its biggest sources is almond,cauliflower ...
    This is great advice, my mother and grand mother (both Hispanic) always would get the freshest ones and dip in the sauce before rolling. When reheating it varied with tortillas on freshness (and how much of a hurry) but they either heated...
    Hello.  Sorry you're so worried about your daughter.  You're a good mom to search for answers. Hope you're ready to read some articles..... B12 deficiency can cause abdominal pain... https://www.livestrong.com/article/478308-can-a...
×
×
  • Create New...