Fbmb

Kroger Brand Tomato Sauce

Rate this topic

Does anyone know if Kroger brand tomato sauce is gluten free? I didn't buy any but I ate some last night at a family member's house. She also has Celiac so I assumed it was safe. But today my stomach is a little off. I don't know if that tomato sauce could have contained gluten. It didn't list wheat as an ingredient but it does list "natural flavors" as an ingredient. I went to their website and they blatantly explain that they won't disclose barley or rye in anything and that they recommend you call them. But they're only open Monday-Friday. I don't buy Kroger brand stuff because they don't sell it in my town, but I definitely won't now, since I think their customer service and labeling practices are pathetic. 

Has anyone else run into this with them, and do any of you have an answer for me? 

26 minutes ago, Fbmb said:

Does anyone know if Kroger brand tomato sauce is gluten free? I didn't buy any but I ate some last night at a family member's house. She also has Celiac so I assumed it was safe. But today my stomach is a little off. I don't know if that tomato sauce could have contained gluten. It didn't list wheat as an ingredient but it does list "natural flavors" as an ingredient. I went to their website and they blatantly explain that they won't disclose barley or rye in anything and that they recommend you call them. But they're only open Monday-Friday. I don't buy Kroger brand stuff because they don't sell it in my town, but I definitely won't now, since I think their customer service and labeling practices are pathetic. 

Has anyone else run into this with them, and do any of you have an answer for me? 

Sounds like it is gluten-free.  Sometimes my stomach is a little off but I can't assume it is always gluten.  This time of year, in the US, we are over eating and eating rich foods we don't normally eat....

22 minutes ago, kareng said:

Sounds like it is gluten-free.  Sometimes my stomach is a little off but I can't assume it is always gluten.  This time of year, in the US, we are over eating and eating rich foods we don't normally eat....

I'm Spanish, and we made tamales. Again, with my aunt who has celiac and has had it for 20 years. I ate 3 tamales (masa is made of lard and the meat is an olive oil base with lots of chili powder), refried beans (more lard), Spanish rice , where the sauce was (lots of olive oil in that too), and pumpkin pie with whipped cream. I also ate pistachio pudding. I took lactaid for the dairy. But I added up all the fiber in that evening and it's like 26 grams. I never eat lard. Ever. But it had been so long and I love tamales. When I look at that list I guess it's no wonder my gut was a little icky today. That's a ton of fat. 

32 minutes ago, Fbmb said:

I'm Spanish, and we made tamales. Again, with my aunt who has celiac and has had it for 20 years. I ate 3 tamales (masa is made of lard and the meat is an olive oil base with lots of chili powder), refried beans (more lard), Spanish rice , where the sauce was (lots of olive oil in that too), and pumpkin pie with whipped cream. I also ate pistachio pudding. I took lactaid for the dairy. But I added up all the fiber in that evening and it's like 26 grams. I never eat lard. Ever. But it had been so long and I love tamales. When I look at that list I guess it's no wonder my gut was a little icky today. That's a ton of fat. 

32 minutes ago, Fbmb said:

That sounds so good!  But, I bet anyone would be a bit off after all that!  ?

37 minutes ago, Fbmb said:

Sounds delicious!

I cook with lard and suffer from no ill effects, but my body is used to a diet rich in fats.  For me, tamales are out.  Why?  The chili’s!   There was chili in all those dishes (I have an intolerance to them).  I can tell you that the older you get, you tend to lose your taste buds too.   My Aunt (over 80) just over spices everything!  Maybe your Aunt did the same?     I would not think it would be the canned tomatoes.  Like Karen said, we eat a lot of uncommon foods during the holidays.  

Did your Aunt react?  

7 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

I cook with lard and suffer from no ill effects, but my body is used to a diet rich in fats.  For me, tamales are out.  Why?  The chili’s!   There was chili in all those dishes (I have an intolerance to them).  I can tell you that the older you get, you tend to lose your taste buds too.   My Aunt (over 80) just over spices everything!  Maybe your Aunt did the same?     I would not think it would be the canned tomatoes.  Like Karen said, we eat a lot of uncommon foods during the holidays.  

Did your Aunt react?  

She didnt say she did. My little guy ate a lot of rice and he didn't have any issues today either. It also could have been all the fiber. I added it all up and it was almost 30 grams, which is more than I'm used to eating in a sitting. Or I could have just had an "off" morning. 

4 hours ago, Fbmb said:

She didnt say she did. My little guy ate a lot of rice and he didn't have any issues today either. It also could have been all the fiber. I added it all up and it was almost 30 grams, which is more than I'm used to eating in a sitting. Or I could have just had an "off" morning. 

Sometimes, we just tend to blame celiac disease for everything.  Sounds like your Aunt and son are fine.  Bet you had an off day or your fiber theory might be correct.  Feel better fast......