5 5
blahblah

does sugar free chewing gum cause problems

Rate this topic

I've been gluten free for a while and I've had little issues but I've been having diarrhea lately and the only thing I can think of is chewing gum. I read it can lead to diarrhea. Is this true? Has anyone else had trouble?

I get stomach upsets from the sweeteners in gum, I think.  I have had the sweeteners on candy and had the same issues.  

It does for me. Artificial sweeteners and I don't get along well. I just buy gum sweetened with sugar.

If it has asputame or asuflame it sets me off the mental deep end. I been using only Spry Gum for the past 4 years same for mints.

I don't do gum.

I too since the gluten challenge can only handle post challenge 13 months sugar derived from cane or beets.

In cooking I use honey or maple syrup to sweeten. I don't even use sugar to cook or bake.

my immune system reacts to artificial and corn derived sugars and preservatives.

thank you. Does anyone have any recommendations to soothe burn in butt. I'm going to try vaseline

I just liked gum because I thought it helped with nerves.

5 minutes ago, blahblah said:

thank you. Does anyone have any recommendations to soothe burn in butt. I'm going to try vaseline

If  possible, shower after a bout.  Then dry the area well - might want to blow dry on low.  Then apply a layer of hydrocortisone ointment ( not cream) or baby diaper rash ointment.  The baby stuff is  easier to find but usually has a scent.  The point is to protect the skin from  moisture.  Plain Vaseline will work but doesn't have any thing extra to help heal the skin.

50 minutes ago, blahblah said:

Odd place to bring it up....gum and butt....OK anyway try Bag Balm Comes in a green metal tin.

1 hour ago, kareng said:

If  possible, shower after a bout.  Then dry the area well - might want to blow dry on low.  Then apply a layer of hydrocortisone ointment ( not cream) or baby diaper rash ointment.  The baby stuff is  easier to find but usually has a scent.  The point is to protect the skin from  moisture.  Plain Vaseline will work but doesn't have any thing extra to help heal the skin.

Thanks I'll look for the baby stuff. I've seen some stuff that warm shower will just dry  and irritate more but maybe it was wrong.

20 minutes ago, blahblah said:

Thanks I'll look for the baby stuff. I've seen some stuff that warm shower will just dry  and irritate more but maybe it was wrong.

A cool shower, then....just get it good and clean.  

Some of the artificial sweeteners used in gum are actually used as laxatives in larger doses, especially the sugar alcohols (usually ending with  -ol, e.g., sorbitol, xylitol, erythritol). 

We also tend to have more sensitive stomachs, so it might not take much to set yours off. 

YES. I was never able to find a chewing gum that did not bug me, for whatever reason.