Monkey0111

Is there a danger in buying "pre seasoned" cast iron pans?

Rate this topic

Used is obviously out of the question, but it seems like most new cast iron pans come "pre seasoned", like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8SK3-4-Inch-Pre-Seasoned-Skillet/dp/B00006JSUA?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=camelhomepopular-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00006JSUA

In the description it says that it's pre seasoned with "vegetable oil"...Is this something I should worry about? Is there any possibility that the vegetable oil contains gluten or was cross contaminated in any way?

Glorious thing about cast iron.....pretty much the only cookware you can very efficiently and easily decontaminate them. You can destroy the gluten protein at over 500F.....as mentioned by kareng the oven self clean cycle. It is like blood ie a protein.....very, very high heat destroys the protein chains that make it up.

I would not worry about it.  I got a new Lodge frying pan and just did a quick rinse and used it.   I retired my Grandfather’s crusted old cast iron skillet that was close to 100 years old after my celiac disease diagnosis.  I did not want to risk it breaking if I stuck it in a super hot oven.  It will go to the next generation of chicken fryers.  

Get a matching lid.  I can go from stove to oven in a flash.  It makes the best chicken, pork or juicy burgers (way better than my grille in the backyard).  Just do not make cornbread in a pan that you make spaghetti sauce in.....?

Edited by cyclinglady