Ven2119

Is it enough to rule out celiac?

Rate this topic

I have GI problems for two years now. I recently found that I have severe vitamin d deficiency and anemia. My doctor suggested that I get tested for celiac. Now, my country is not very informed on celiac and our doctors say that they are not experts on this condition, so my question is, if my EMA iga, ttg iga, ttg igg and immunoglobulin iga are normal, that would rule out celiac, right? 

You could also have NCGI (non Celiac gluten intolerance). Same symptoms, negative blood tests.  Why not try eating gluten free and see if you improve.  Give it time (6-8 weeks) and don't cheat.  If you improve, you'll have your answer.  

Given the negative blood tests, it is not likely they will test you further, so changing your diet is fine.  

Well, some people (like me) test negative on the EMA and TTG tests.  I test positive (even on follow-up testing) to only the DGP IgA.  My intestinal biopsies revealed some severe damage.  Then there  are celiacs (about 10%) who are seronegative.  All these are reasons why the intestinal biopsy is still consider the best test for making a celiac disease diagnosis.  

If an endoscopy or the DGP test is not available to you, consider trial the diet for six months.