This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten pizza party in my house?

GFAnnie

GFAnnie Explorer

This will probably sound like a silly question but bear with me! My children and I all have celiac, therefore, my outnumbered husband stays pretty much 100% gluten free at home, making our entire home gluten free. Holiday entertaining is about to begin here, and I have a large group coming next weekend. I would like to keep it simple and order out pizza. There's no way I can afford gluten free pizza for all, which leads me to the idea of ordering regular old gluten pizzas for the guests, but it kind of freaks me out to fill my kitchen with all that gluten.  I will add that we are NOT sensitive, at all, so this shouldn't result in weeks of serious gluten symptoms. However, exposure is exposure, right? So what do you think? Would you do this? Any special precautions you would take? I have a pretty small kitchen so it would be hard to contain anything to one area.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

There is no way in h$)& that I would allow a gluten pizza party in my house.  Instead, I would opt for something like salad and chili, tacos, a baked potato bar, stew....the list is endless and cheap.  All can be easily thrown together and prepped during the week.  

I do get the desire to just order out though.  But to risk being miserable for Christmas holidays seems really risky to me!   But that may be just me.   

Gluten is just not allowed in my house.  No one has ever complained. Well, once we had burgers and I offered no buns.  We just used iceberg lettuce to wrap.  Oh, those gluten folks complained, but whil they were eating, I overheard them saying  it was the best burger they ever had!  

kareng Grand Master

I would and have done something like that. I get sick from a little cc, but this has worked for me.   It costs too much to give everyone gluten-free pizza.  I have a big enough kitchen to keep my gluten-free pizza or whatever away from the gluten stuff.  You could use paper plates.  Then scrub up after.  If ÿou are serving salad or something else, keep some separate for the Celiacs.  Serve a gluten-free  dessert, but know that, unless you hand each serving to people, the Celiacs can't have the  leftovers.  

kareng Grand Master

Just saw the small kitchen comment - put the gluten pizzas on a table in the living room when the pizza comes, or something  like that & keep the gluten-free stuff in the kitchen?  Or serve dinner in the basement rec room?  If your kids aren't old enough to know not to eat the gluten stuff, then this probably won't work too well.  

Ennis-TX Grand Master

FREEZER PAPER, stuff is a life saver, also disposable table cloths. IF YOU can opt for outdoor entertaining and doing it outside that way you do not have to worry about gluten crumbs everywhere in the house, on the door knobs, couches, chair arms etc.  IF you can not do it outside get disposable everything, cups, plates, utensils, serving platters, table cloths, and line everything to keep your place safe and make cleanup a breeze.

Udream2 Newbie

My daughters school ordered pizza for the whole school b/c power went out and she got glutened, she did not eat any. I feel Pizza is a huge risk as flour is airborne more easily. Plus pizza is greesy, messy and crumb crust. I personally couldn’t do that in our safe home. I do see your point though about making it easy but the gluten can stick around a long time after the party and exposing your family. 

kareng Grand Master
1 minute ago, Udream2 said:

My daughters school ordered pizza for the whole school b/c power went out and she got glutened, she did not eat any. I feel Pizza is a huge risk as flour is airborne more easily. Plus pizza is greesy, messy and crumb crust. I personally couldn’t do that in our safe home. I do see your point though about making it easy but the gluten can stick around a long time after the party and exposing your family. 

But I don't think they were making the pizza - so the flour from making the crusts wouldn't be flying around  in her house or the school.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, kareng said:

But I don't think they were making the pizza - so the flour from making the crusts wouldn't be flying around  in her house or the school.

The issue with pizza is you pick it up by hand....you pick up grease coated gluten, you then touch door handles, desk, arm rest on chairs, counters, chairs, remotes, switches, water facets.....spreading gluten residue with sticky grease everywhere. Then someone else touches then touches their gluten free food, or their lips...BAM glutened .....pizza is one of those high risk foods for CCing stuff. The grease + flour/gluten residue makes it spread, does not help if people eat it with their bare hands not a utensil.....Sorta why I suggested a outdoor party over indoor....

Victoria1234 Experienced
13 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

The issue with pizza is you pick it up by hand....you pick up grease coated gluten, you then touch door handles, desk, arm rest on chairs, counters, chairs, remotes, switches, water facets.....spreading gluten residue with sticky grease everywhere. Then someone else touches then touches their gluten free food, or their lips...BAM glutened .....pizza is one of those high risk foods for CCing stuff. The grease + flour/gluten residue makes it spread, does not help if people eat it with their bare hands not a utensil.....Sorta why I suggested a outdoor party over indoor....

Exactly the same reason I wish I could wear a hazmat suit when I have breakfast duty at the elementary school! Pancakes, waffles, cereal, muffins, corn dogs, all spread everywhere with messy dirty little hands, ugh. I wash my arms up to the elbows after that.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
2 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

Exactly the same reason I wish I could wear a hazmat suit when I have breakfast duty at the elementary school! Pancakes, waffles, cereal, muffins, corn dogs, all spread everywhere with messy dirty little hands, ugh. I wash my arms up to the elbows after that.

Why I had to quit the standard food industry years ago after dia. I semi joke about working in a standard restaurant etc or helping out but going in with a Open Original Shared Link

Although after your mentioned hazmat I can think of serving food in this and and the looks you would get.
Open Original Shared Link

Victoria1234 Experienced
23 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

Why I had to quit the standard food industry years ago after dia. I semi joke about working in a standard restaurant etc or helping out but going in with a Open Original Shared Link

Although after your mentioned hazmat I can think of serving food in this and and the looks you would get.
Open Original Shared Link

It doesn't come in purple so I can't wear it, lol. God these little kids and all their germs I really should be wearing that suit. 

cap6 Enthusiast

Wouldn't!  Couldn't!   Shouldn't!   Oh my!  I hear  what some are saying about keeping areas clean, but no way.  I get not wanting to cook for a big group but a couple pretty easy, and cost effective, thoughts are a simple crock pot or two of chili, taco bar, potato bar or a salad bar.  I just did a Xmas party for 22 people, only 4 of us are gluten free, and did crock pots of chili.  for bread I bought gluten free hamburger buns, sliced them and then quartered them.  It made great bread garlic bread.. 

Archived