Fbmb

DH or dry skin?

Rate this topic

So I live in one of the dryest states in the country. Right now our humidity is probably 30%, and it's cold (16 degrees when I went to work today). My legs have been itchy from the dry weather and I noticed that next to one of my knees I have some little scabs on some of my itchy bumps. Probably from scratching. I put some lotion on my legs. Seems to help. 

I never had DH. My diet is very good. I'm sitting at a 3 TTG now, and I'm feeling good and doing really well. I guess I thought I should ask if these itchy bumps could be DH? I have keratosis pilaris on my arms and legs, and it does get itchy, so I'm inclined to think that's what it is. I went over 2 weeks without putting on lotion. Not smart. I included a picture.

Thoughts? Thanks!

IMG_8135.JPG

Gosh, super hard to say from a picture but really, knowing your situation & how careful you've been & how long you've been gluten free, I would say it's not dh & your test numbers steadily going down. I really think it's probably just like you said. Get that lotion out & slather it on. Dry skin can be very itchy. Cold weather can do lots of icky things to skin.

11 minutes ago, squirmingitch said:

Gosh, super hard to say from a picture but really, knowing your situation & how careful you've been & how long you've been gluten free, I would say it's not dh & your test numbers steadily going down. I really think it's probably just like you said. Get that lotion out & slather it on. Dry skin can be very itchy. Cold weather can do lots of icky things to skin.

I think you're right. It isn't bilateral. And since I stopped scratching and put some thick aquaphor on it the bumps have gone down a bit. I have keratosis pilaris all the time - even since stopping gluten. Must be that lovely western weather. 

I can't say what it is but just a tip for alleviating dry skin itch: Epsom salt baths every other/every day. I'm looking to be tested for DH (I have a recent post in this DH forum) particularly for my elbows. My calves where I get dry & incredibly itchy with no rash may have nothing to do with DH and for healing dry skin a few handfuls of Epsom salts in every bath stop it! Better than any of the lotions I've used. I've attached a picture of the brand we use. I get ours at a bargain store. Reduces the amount of time feeling itchy on my calves by 90% Please try it!

s-l400.jpg

https://www.livestrong.com/article/269105-skin-rashes-caused-by-vitamin-deficiency/

This article gives information on different kinds of skin problems caused by vitamin deficiencies.  

The eight B vitamins and vitamins A and D are extremely important to skin health!  Rashes and itching and bumps are the first clues you could be deficient.  

I had severe malnutrition and have experienced many of the various skin problems described in the article.  

Consider diet revision to include the nutrient dense foods recommended in the article or supplementing.  Remember, Celiac Disease causes malabsorption which results in malnutrition.  

Hope this helps!