This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nice Experience

eeyor-fan

eeyor-fan Contributor

In our area about the only place to get a decent selection of gluten-free stuff is at Wegman's and they like to price gouge because they know no one else carries it. For a long time my hubby and I have been on friendly terms with the guy, Mike, who runs the deli department at Shoprite (he had no clue I had celiac disease). One day we asked him about Boars Head meat being their line is gluten-free, we explained to him about Celiac and that if I ever got meat there the slicer would have to be exceptionally clean so my meat would not be contaminated. He said he was not allowed to order Boars Head in the store, but that there was a local cop also asking about gluten-free stuff and Mike had to tell him he did not know anything about it, but told me he would investigate with the meats he was allowed to bring in. Well a few days ago I walked in the store because my hubby had a few things to get and Mike called out to me to stop. I waited right there and he carted out a whole bunch of huge boxes of pre sealed (1 box per flavor the company offers of their gluten-free meats) Black Bear meats. He had Turkey, Virginia Ham, Balony, Smoked Ham...etc. All only about $2 per big pack. He is also trying to persuad his bosses to put in a whole gluten-free section, and has spent lots of time talking to me (learning about celiac disease and the products we can have so he can help others who come into the store). It may not seem like much, but just having someone go out of their way like that really meant the world to me and makes the world a little easier for us all....getting the word out in baby steps)! Lets just hope his boss and Shoprite/Wakeford Corporation hears us!

Hugs

Bridget

PS it would not be hard for Shoprite to put in a gluten-free section for those just learning....they already sell Smart Balance gluten-free Products (Butter, Cheese, Peanut Butter), Glenny's gluten-free Cheesecake, Alexia gluten-free Potatoes, Van's gluten-free Waffles and a few other things.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

teacher1578 Apprentice
In our area about the only place to get a decent selection of gluten-free stuff is at Wegman's and they like to price gouge because they know no one else carries it. For a long time my hubby and I have been on friendly terms with the guy, Mike, who runs the deli department at Shoprite (he had no clue I had celiac disease). One day we asked him about Boars Head meat being their line is gluten-free, we explained to him about Celiac and that if I ever got meat there the slicer would have to be exceptionally clean so my meat would not be contaminated. He said he was not allowed to order Boars Head in the store, but that there was a local cop also asking about gluten-free stuff and Mike had to tell him he did not know anything about it, but told me he would investigate with the meats he was allowed to bring in. Well a few days ago I walked in the store because my hubby had a few things to get and Mike called out to me to stop. I waited right there and he carted out a whole bunch of huge boxes of pre sealed (1 box per flavor the company offers of their gluten-free meats) Black Bear meats. He had Turkey, Virginia Ham, Balony, Smoked Ham...etc. All only about $2 per big pack. He is also trying to persuad his bosses to put in a whole gluten-free section, and has spent lots of time talking to me (learning about celiac disease and the products we can have so he can help others who come into the store). It may not seem like much, but just having someone go out of their way like that really meant the world to me and makes the world a little easier for us all....getting the word out in baby steps)! Lets just hope his boss and Shoprite/Wakeford Corporation hears us!

Hugs

Bridget

PS it would not be hard for Shoprite to put in a gluten-free section for those just learning....they already sell Smart Balance gluten-free Products (Butter, Cheese, Peanut Butter), Glenny's gluten-free Cheesecake, Alexia gluten-free Potatoes, Van's gluten-free Waffles and a few other things.

That is good to know about Shop Rite. I too live near a Wegmans in NJ. I am also not that far from Edison/Shop Rite, but wasn't too happy with their gluten-free section. Maybe I will go back and look again, and also check out their gluten-free frozen section.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

That's great, Bridget!

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Bridget--I shop at the Shoprite in Delran, NJ. They have a gluten free section in their "natural foods" isle. Right near it they have a freezer with Van's, and other things. It's not a huge selection, but a good one for a regular grocery store. We will be getting a Wegman's soon. I think it is supposed to open by Jan. Can't wait to check it out! Glad to hear you have a buddy at your S.R.

Guest Viola

That's great Bridget, getting one person interested in a store is a wonderful start!

Archived