Lex_

Portable Gluten Tester?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with portable devices that claim to test accurately whether a piece of food contains gluten? Does this actually work or is it a scam?

40 minutes ago, Lex_ said:

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with portable devices that claim to test accurately whether a piece of food contains gluten? Does this actually work or is it a scam?

Been using the Nima since it came out , it will not work with alcohol, and some bright colored foods can give false positives....it is also HYPER sensitive, it will claim gluten found on stuff below 20ppm...like any trace sometimes. Actually confirmed this on some stuff it found gluten in, I sent a sample of said food to GFWD who lab tested and it came back at just 6ppm....

Bottom line it works too well. There are some tricks to using it, like getting multiple samples from foods and different areas like the part that touched the grill on a prepared foods and various ingredients in say a non combined meal. Bit trick but I found it great for testing say supplements, sauces, spices, ingredients, and new foods that are not labeled gluten free in my house. 

PS I am not paid as a employee by nima but I am a brand ambassador, IE I love them so much I end up I get sponsored to go to conventions, and expos and talk about how I use the product.