Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

So I was diagnosed almost one year ago. I still have other issues going on but feel as if I've made some progress. At diagnosis my ferritin levels were pretty low borderline normal and a few weeks ago had another test done and ferritin was even lower. Like one number off from being normal. My lab was 15 and I think normal is from 14- 300 I was just wondering if low ferritin had caused anyone grief even with normal hemoglobin and normal iron panel (my iron has gone up since diagnsos) but ferritin is lower. Does anyone recommend supplementing or is it not concern since my iron is normal? My t3 hormone levels are super low but all other lab for thyroid were semi ok just wondering if this is affecting my thyroid function. I have so many symptoms of low iron but I have normal hemoglobin. I don't want to take iron unless it would help and not harm me. Any advice? My one doc knows nothing about ferritin and I see another doc coming up soon which I'll mention. But sometimes when I bring up ferritin they think I'm asking for something secretive! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Jherm21 said:

So I was diagnosed almost one year ago. I still have other issues going on but feel as if I've made some progress. At diagnosis my ferritin levels were pretty low borderline normal and a few weeks ago had another test done and ferritin was even lower. Like one number off from being normal. My lab was 15 and I think normal is from 14- 300 I was just wondering if low ferritin had caused anyone grief even with normal hemoglobin and normal iron panel (my iron has gone up since diagnsos) but ferritin is lower. Does anyone recommend supplementing or is it not concern since my iron is normal? My t3 hormone levels are super low but all other lab for thyroid were semi ok just wondering if this is affecting my thyroid function. I have so many symptoms of low iron but I have normal hemoglobin. I don't want to take iron unless it would help and not harm me. Any advice? My one doc knows nothing about ferritin and I see another doc coming up soon which I'll mention. But sometimes when I bring up ferritin they think I'm asking for something secretive! 

Vitamin C and higher iron foods like cocoa nibs, seeds proteins, and yellow pea protein powder can help. Just look at the DV % of iron on say a pure Pea Protein and Pumpkin Seed protein powder. Having some in a shake. yogurt, etc can help Amusingly I found mixing it into creamy soups to be interesting in moderation, and some garlic powder with it is a bit cheezy for a topping seasoning....>.> PS do not try making a cheese sauce with it....just taste off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When was the last time your GI checked your celiac antibodies?  If gluten is in your diet, that could prevent iron from being absorbed (enough to keep you going but not enough to actually store).  

When I was diagnosed, my ferritin was at a 2, but my hemoglobin was impacted.   Within a few months, it jumped to around 50.   Mind you, I am post menopausal.  Maybe a lower ferritin is okay for you?  

Edited by cyclinglady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting cyclinglady I do run about 3 times a week not long distance or anything but maybe there is some correlation with that. Never even thought maybe that's just my normal. Last time my antibodies were check was around February and they were normal levels meaning I didn't have any antibodies for gluten I tests negative on the blood test there was one blood test not taken and that was the EMA antibodies but we checked that 5 months in the diet and that was negative.  I still wonder if I have celiacs as I feel better off gluten and tested positive for biopsy. Gi diagnosed me as such so for now I'm just avoid gluten ?

Ennis pumpkin protein sounds good does it have flavor? Where do I buy all that suggested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also went to the endocrinologist and was told today my vit d level has gone down and she told me to supplement but she didn't tell me how much to take? Should I just take one every other day. I live in Michigan so there's no sign of sunshine. What brands are best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jherm21 said:

I also went to the endocrinologist and was told today my vit d level has gone down and she told me to supplement but she didn't tell me how much to take? Should I just take one every other day. I live in Michigan so there's no sign of sunshine. What brands are best

I use liquid health in a dropper 0.75ml a day. Supposed to take 1ml every 2-3 days but I found my dosing at .5-.75ml daily to work best.  Get it on Luckyvitamin.com like my other supplements for the most part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jherm21 said:

Interesting cyclinglady I do run about 3 times a week not long distance or anything but maybe there is some correlation with that. Never even thought maybe that's just my normal. Last time my antibodies were check was around February and they were normal levels meaning I didn't have any antibodies for gluten I tests negative on the blood test there was one blood test not taken and that was the EMA antibodies but we checked that 5 months in the diet and that was negative.  I still wonder if I have celiacs as I feel better off gluten and tested positive for biopsy. Gi diagnosed me as such so for now I'm just avoid gluten ?

Ennis pumpkin protein sounds good does it have flavor? Where do I buy all that suggested. 

Heal strike?  Nah, I would not bet on that.  Like you, I looked into that when my hemoglobin was dropping like crazy.   I run 3 times a week, swim and ride my bike.  Nothing excessive like those 100 mike racers.   ?.  It was really celiac disease that caused my low ferritin and not perimenopause (heavy cycles) or hypothyroid (when I was not running hyper) etc. which played a part, but they were not the root cause.  

Edited by cyclinglady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jherm21 said:

Interesting cyclinglady I do run about 3 times a week not long distance or anything but maybe there is some correlation with that. Never even thought maybe that's just my normal. Last time my antibodies were check was around February and they were normal levels meaning I didn't have any antibodies for gluten I tests negative on the blood test there was one blood test not taken and that was the EMA antibodies but we checked that 5 months in the diet and that was negative.  I still wonder if I have celiacs as I feel better off gluten and tested positive for biopsy. Gi diagnosed me as such so for now I'm just avoid gluten ?

Ennis pumpkin protein sounds good does it have flavor? Where do I buy all that suggested. 

Pumpkin seed protein is a light sweet, nutty flavor...it is made from pressed pumpkin seed kernels. OH on the Pea Protein you have to check the brands >.< I got naked pea last time since it was on sale, and started getting more anemic.......no clue why. I checked labels....no clue how they did it but Naked Pea contains 1% your DV of iron but Growing Naturals my standard version contains 30% your DV of iron. Pumpkin Seed Protein Contains 15-20% depending on brand. OH if you can not stomach the pea protein by itself...or have it in smoothies.....they make chips out of it....1 serving is 28% your iron DV.  THey might sound odd and not be the best tasting....but I would rather eat these then go back on supplements....they worked good but damn the stomach and gut issues those iron pills caused -_-
https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-2140214-jarrow-formulas-organic-pumpkin-seed-protein-16-oz
https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-345361-growing-naturals-raw-yellow-pea-protein-original-16-oz
https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-1691209-protes-protein-chips-tangy-southern-bbq-4-oz
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting post!  When first diagnosed my ferritin levels were so low they talked about iron infusions.  Lucky to bring it up to acceptable levels with prescription iron supps.  On and off  through the years I would feel the old tired feeling and go back on the iron supps.

Flash forward 8 years and I had those old tired feelings again so went in to have my irons levels tested.   This time my ferritins were 1200, normal should be about 50.   Seems I have genetic hemochromatosis, an inherited disease (a gene from each parent) where my body keeps on making too much iron.,  Now I have to go in for weekly bloodletting of 1 pint a week until the levels go down , then monthly maintenance blood lets for life. 

All of this said, I would find a good  hematologist to assist you.   Don't mess around with iron! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...