autoEm

autoimmune, Low Ferritin, HLA DQ2

Rate this topic

Hello all, I am new here and looking for some advice. I have been experiencing GI issues, headaches, fatigue. A routine CBC showed my hemoglobin was a little low. I have an autoimmune disorder that effects my platelets and my hematologist decided to also check my ferritin levels which came back as a 4. It's my understanding that is very low. I also recently did DNA testing that revealed I carry the HLA DQ2 marker which might make me at slightly higher risk for celiac disease. My only other significant medical history is that I had to have my gallbladder removed at the age of 22 and I have orthostatic hypotension.

I have started wondering if I might have issues with gluten that could cause some of these symptoms, specifically the low ferritin, headaches, and fatigue. I did attempt to go gluten free but only made it about a week and got very sick. Like couldn't leave my bed for 24 hours sick. Once that happened i started eating whatever again and never finished the experiment. My husband tends to think "gluten free" is just a fad and anytime i bring it up there is a lot of eye rolling. I don't share his opinion on gluten free but it's kind of an issue of contention in our house. Before i press the issue as a possibility for myself I would love to know if my symptoms/experiences seem gluten related or not...any advice??

8 hours ago, autoEm said:

Hello all, I am new here and looking for some advice. I have been experiencing GI issues, headaches, fatigue. A routine CBC showed my hemoglobin was a little low. I have an autoimmune disorder that effects my platelets and my hematologist decided to also check my ferritin levels which came back as a 4. It's my understanding that is very low. I also recently did DNA testing that revealed I carry the HLA DQ2 marker which might make me at slightly higher risk for celiac disease. My only other significant medical history is that I had to have my gallbladder removed at the age of 22 and I have orthostatic hypotension.

I have started wondering if I might have issues with gluten that could cause some of these symptoms, specifically the low ferritin, headaches, and fatigue. I did attempt to go gluten free but only made it about a week and got very sick. Like couldn't leave my bed for 24 hours sick. Once that happened i started eating whatever again and never finished the experiment. My husband tends to think "gluten free" is just a fad and anytime i bring it up there is a lot of eye rolling. I don't share his opinion on gluten free but it's kind of an issue of contention in our house. Before i press the issue as a possibility for myself I would love to know if my symptoms/experiences seem gluten related or not...any advice??

Welcome!

You sound like me with the gallbladder removed (mine was non-functioning, no stones) and low ferritin (a 2).  I went in for a routine colonoscopy (yes...I am over 50) when my GI looked at my chart and told me that he was going to run a celiac panel.  I was shocked because I had no GI issues!  

So, do not listen to your hubby in this case, unless he wears a white coat or actually has celiac disease.  Get tested.  Learn more about the tests:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

Stay on a gluten diet until all testing is done.