Alibu

Question about PPV and NPV of TTG and EMA

Rate this topic

As I wait (impatiently) for my biopsy results, I've been doing a lot of research about my conflicting test results (positive TTG at 11, where positive is anything over 4, and negative EMA). 

Everything I've been reading has said that  TTG has a positive predictive value of about 90% and that EMA has a negative predictive value of 100%. 

So according to that, I have a 90% chance of a positive biopsy, but also a 100% chance of a negative biopsy.

I also was reading a study where a positive TTG and negative EMA combo resulted in very low positive biopsy results in the study group. 

Thoughts?  Yes, I'm going crazy waiting for my results, LOL. 

I know!  It is SO hard to be patient!  

Again, your results are not really conflicting.  You only needed one positive on the panel.    I have never had a positive TTG or an EMA (just the DGP IgA).   You can go crazy reviewing studies.  Please note that not all of them are good or they can be very small which almost makes them useless.  

Maybe focus on what you do know.  Why did you develop the hernia and what are the treatments?   If you have EOE, how are you going to handle that?   You might be giving up wheat even if you do not have celiac disease, should wheat be a trigger for EOE.  

http://www.eosinophilicesophagitishome.org/eosinophilic_esophagitis_diets/eoe_six_food_elimination_diet/

To get your mind off your health, go do something fun, even better, do something nice for someone else!  

3 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

I know!  It is SO hard to be patient!  

Again, your results are not really conflicting.  You only needed one positive on the panel.    I have never had a positive TTG or an EMA (just the DGP IgA).   You can go crazy reviewing studies.  Please note that not all of them are good or they can be very small which almost makes them useless.  

Maybe focus on what you do know.  Why did you develop the hernia and what are the treatments?   If you have EOE, how are you going to handle that?   You might be giving up wheat even if you do not have celiac disease, should wheat be a trigger for EOE.  

http://www.eosinophilicesophagitishome.org/eosinophilic_esophagitis_diets/eoe_six_food_elimination_diet/

To get your mind off your health, go do something fun, even better, do something nice for someone else!  

I know, I know!  I'm so impatient, LOL!!  I'm just one of those people who does not do well in limbo.  So I know want to KNOW, which makes me try to seek out answers.  

I've had a hiatal hernia for years and years, as I've had reflux since I was like 18 (I'm 41 now).  I guess the other stuff, I just don't know.  I think it depends on what they find and what the doctor thinks is the next best step, which again, puts me in limbo.

But you're right, I need to just keep myself busy and do something else....it's Christmas Eve and I'm about to spend some quality family time, so that helps!!  Thank you for your dose of rationality and reason!!