• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

help!

its like eveywhere i turn i cant use this or that shampoo or they cant guarentee that it doesnt have gluten.

What are some safe choices? Also with lotions...Bath&Body works said that most of their things have gluten, so thats out too! :blink: this is getting frustrating!

Please recommend some good lotion, the northeast weather is brutal in the winter, as I type its 16 degrees outside! BRRR!

Hi Moongirl--If you don't want to worry about cross contamination, check out:

Gluten Free Savonnerie--www.gfsoap.com

California Baby--www.californiababy.com

Giovanni Natural Hair Care--www.giovannicosmetics.com--also in Whole Foods and Wild Oats Markets

help!

its like eveywhere i turn i cant use this or that shampoo or they cant guarentee that it doesnt have gluten.

What are some safe choices? Also with lotions...Bath&Body works said that most of their things have gluten, so thats out too! :blink: this is getting frustrating!

Please recommend some good lotion, the northeast weather is brutal in the winter, as I type its 16 degrees outside! BRRR!

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, and prefer more chemical free shampoos, I like their organic shampoo and conditioner. (Comes in a white, translucent bottle.) If you don't care about the specifics of what's in it, other than being gluten free, I like Dove shampoo and conditioner.

As for lotions, for serious stuff (like, my first pacific northwest winter - 29 at night!! I've been living in Southern California for the last decade, so this is insane! - and acutally using a heater, which robs the air of any humidity) I just discovered ShiKai's Dry Skin Therapy. Use one a day, regularly, and it really does work, without feeling greasy (which is why I usually hate lotions). Alba makes a number of gluten-free lotions (though read the label, some aren't, though they are well labeled). I believe Neutrogena Dry Skin Norwegian formula is also gluten-free, but you'll want to search the site for the gluten-free lotion list to see if it's on there. The last times I used it, it helped a lot - particularly the hand lotion version (which you don't have to limit use of to the hands).

Actually, I'm kind of wondering the same thing. Are there any regular shampoos in regular stores......what are the gluten free mainstream products? It seems like every gluten free list that I see doesn't include shampoos and if it does, it is these weird products I've never heard of.

Right now I am using Infusium 23, Loreal for color treated hair and John Freida's brunette shampoo and conditioner.......I looked at the ingrediants and none of them suggest any gluten or hidden gluten names, so I've been using them.

Also, I heard Pantene is gluten free, but for some reason, that stuff makes my hair fall out! I was using it for like a year straight, of course, switching off with other things everyday. And then someone told me it does that sometimes, and I stopped using it and my hair stopped falling out! (NOt in clumps or anything, but I would get horrible knots that were impossible to come out, like those really little ones until I brushed so hard the knot and lots of strands of hair would come with it!)

Anyway, any suggestions?

Edited by danikali

Also with lotions...Bath&Body works said that most of their things have gluten, so thats out too!
I just found out that someone on the board contacted Vasoline and they said that all their lotions are gluten free.

Right now I am using Infusium 23, Loreal for color treated hair and John Freida's brunette shampoo and conditioner.......I looked at the ingrediants and none of them suggest any gluten or hidden gluten names, so I've been using them.

Also, I heard Pantene is gluten free, but for some reason, that stuff makes my hair fall out! I was using it for like a year straight, of course, switching off with other things everyday. And then someone told me it does that sometimes, and I stopped using it and my hair stopped falling out! (NOt in clumps or anything, but I would get horrible knots that were impossible to come out, like those really little ones until I brushed so hard the knot and lots of strands of hair would come with it!)

Anyway, any suggestions?

ii would double check the john frieda brunette, i called them and they couldnt gaurentee gluten free products, which stinks cause used that too. Pantene is ok for me, but i cant use it too often. I like some neutrogena shampoos.

Oh and a good lotion, if you have ever been to the Body Shop their body butter is gluten-free, they have a nice selection and is great for dry skin :)

I just found out that someone on the board contacted Vasoline and they said that all their lotions are gluten free.

THanks, i was really looking for something with a lil scent to it, the bath and body works, i had this very mild vanilla lotion, so yummy. ;) too bad....

But i will have to check out the body shop scents :rolleyes:

help!

Paul Mitchell list is guarenteed (posted the new one yesterday) and available in most beauty salons so you don't have to wait for the mail. Their gluten-free products are done in a totally different facility than their gluten containing ones so no cross contamination. Gionanni hair products are also available from Target.

Hugs

Bridget

Paul Mitchell list is guarenteed (posted the new one yesterday) and available in most beauty salons so you don't have to wait for the mail. Their gluten-free products are done in a totally different facility than their gluten containing ones so no cross contamination. Gionanni hair products are also available from Target.

Hugs

Bridget

PS I'm in the North East too and for lotions I highly reccoment www.tropicaltraditions.com ...their Citrus Cream is the best. Stay away from Burts Bees...they put out a gluten-free list but after I got a head to toe rash and did more investigation, they will not guarentee their product lines (same goes for Dove).

Currently I am using BEd Head. I believe it is the moisture Maniac. Anyway, as far as I can tell there isn't any gluten in it. No oat stuff either. Alot of shampoo and conditioner does have wheat starch that I have checked. I haven't called to be sure though.

Monica

The entire line of shampoos and conditioners by Tosca are gluten-free, I can buy them at my salon, but I'm sure that you could order them on the internet. I'm biased against store brand products.

--Kelly

I wanted to add that Thermasilk Shampoo and Conditioner is gluten-free. I verified that by phone last summer.
Thanks for posting that! I'm going to buy some :) Do you find that their products work well?

Hi Carrie--Yes--I was happy with the Thermasilk. I'm currently using the Gluten Free Savonnerie shampoo because I find I'm sensitive to so much now, I don't want to take chances with cross contamination. However, I never had a problem with the Thermasilk. :)

Hi Carrie--Yes--I was happy with the Thermasilk. I'm currently using the Gluten Free Savonnerie shampoo because I find I'm sensitive to so much now, I don't want to take chances with cross contamination. However, I never had a problem with the Thermasilk.
Thanks! I've been wanting to try Thermasilk for a while now, but I wasn't sure if it was gluten free.