Aisling Eldridge

Is may contain gluten or gluten sources bad?

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, Aisling Eldridge said:

Can you tell me if it’s bad because I’m not sure and I’m curious?

I am not sure exactly what you are asking but I will try to answer.

If you have Celiac,  you would not eat anything that said it has gluten in it.  If a product says it may contain gluten or wheat, then you don't eat it.  If I said here, eat this soup, it may contain poison .... Would you eat it?  I mean, there is a chance it doesn't have poison....:D

If it says it might contain gluten or contains it...avoid it. As mentioned above for us with celiac it is like them cooking with that ortho ant poison....like they were making something with it right next to yours or used it in the pot rinsed it out then started your food in it...would you risk it?
Looking for gluten-free certified foods, and foods not made in a facility that processes gluten, I found a gluten tester for those odd ball foods to be a life saver....

18 hours ago, Aisling Eldridge said:

Can you tell me if it’s bad because I’m not sure and I’m curious?

When you see this sign there's no gluten in the actual ingredients but the manufacturers of the product have looked at their factory / bakery etc. and they are warning you that due to their machinery/production processes etc there's a chance that some gluten will still make it into their finished article.

Now no-one in business wants to lose sales, so for them to put this warning on, it's safe to assume there's a real risk that this has already/will happen. As you probably know by now you only need the merest trace of gluten for the immune system to kick into action, so these are products that can make you sick. 

This article explains that 3 may contain products when tested actually DID contain: 

https://www.allergicliving.com/2014/01/06/may-contains-on-food-labels-what-you-need-to-know/

When I see that warning I mentally replace 'May' with 'Does' and move on, it sucks, but there's always another product and even if I were lucky Id be worrying for days whether this time it would trigger a response.  There's no cookie or cake that's worth that stress!

I personally stay away from “may contain gluten” products. However, too many products say “processed in a facility with gluten” where if i cut them out, i am basically malnurished. Also, they clean the equipment so it shouldn’t matter.