Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Diagnosed for years, recent unknown exposure put me in the hospital. This time around, instead of bathroom issues, I’m just extremely bloated and retaining lots of water (8lbs in 3 days, don’t eat nearly enough for it to be real weight) How long until this goes away and is there anything I can do to help heal so this awful bloat goes away?  Help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:


I am so sorry that you are ill!   Unfortunately, I do not have any solutions for you other than to stay hydrated and rest.   Let’s hope other members can offer good advice.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am having the same problem right now. I can't eat and when I do my abdomen bloats and I don't know why. It doesn't matter what I eat or drink. I also burp, or try to, a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi jms,

I am so glad that you posted this as I am having a similar issue and am hoping you get some answers.

Mine started on December 10th, according to my food/symptom diary.   I have bloating in my upper abdomen...stomach area I'm thinking.  I also feel like I need to burp all the time and do.  I sound like I have been downing beers all day.  It's frustrating and I don't know how to make it stop.

Googling has led to it possibly being gastritis, along with some scarier things, but I am pretty sure if I go to the Dr he will think gastritis and want to start a PPI, which I don't want.

I hope you get some answers that can help all of us!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What did the hospital’s diagnosis?  Did they assume it was just a celiac flare up?  Did they test your antibodies?  Any new processed foods ingredients that you might have reacted to?  If it does not resolve soon, make an appointment with your GI.  I do not recall other members reporting retaining water like that, but with celiac disease nothing surprises me.  

I have had my “glutening” symptoms change dramatically (including long recoveries) and for piece of mind, I did get my celiac antibodies checked to actually confirm the glutening (usually am due for an annual follow-up anyway).  My antibodies were elevated the few times I went in over the last five years.   And just so you do not think that I am the “Boy Who Cried Wolf”, I see my doctor because I have passed out (“the captain will turn the flight back — your call”), paramedics insisted, 1000 hives daily for almost six months, broke some bones, severe symptoms (vomiting, ab pain), lasting for over a month and I have YET to identify the gluten source.  So, it was not due to eating a big gluteny donut on purpose.     I am sure my issues are not just celiac disease but a cocktail of things unique to me, so newbies do not worry!  😊

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:


17 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

I have had my “glutening” symptoms change dramatically (including long recoveries) and for piece of mind, I did get my celiac antibodies checked to actually confirm the glutening (usually am due for an annual follow-up anyway).  My antibodies were elevated the few times I went in over the last five years.   And just so you do not think that I am the “Boy Who Cried Wolf”, I see my doctor because I have passed out (“the captain will turn the flight back — your call”), paramedics insisted, 1000 hives daily for almost six months, broke some bones, severe symptoms (vomiting, ab pain), lasting for over a month and I have YET to identify the gluten source.  So, it was not due to eating a big gluteny donut on purpose.     I am sure my issues are not just celiac disease but a cocktail of things unique to me, so newbies do not worry!  😊

 

I appreciate this a lot cyclinglady.  I've been asked if I was glutened and I really don't think so.  Usually my gluten exposures have resulted in massive D, body aches, headaches for 3 weeks or so.  This is literally just upper abdominal bloating and burping.  Uncomfortable, but that's it for a little over a month.

I do wonder though...in December I ate out twice.  Both times at a gluten free restaurant, though.  But I usually only eat out about twice a year.  I switched to a new gluten free flour because I wanted to try one.  Should be fine right?  Maybe I am not as careful about handwashing all the time as I was?  My youngest started school this year and she has gluten there every day.  I have also gone out for coffee several times recently, which should be fine?  But who knows anymore.

It does give me pause to think that maybe it is a very slight gluten exposure and not something terrible...so thank you for that!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting...  I've just seen an incredible hospital nutritionalist about my recently elevated numbers.  I thought I had gastritis with burping and upper bloating and burning over the summer.  But it was gluten all along as my TTG went up to the 80s, and yet I thought I was being sooo good.  Just goes to show.  She reckoned a few glutenings in the autumn as I ate out in places that clearly didn't know what they were doing, plus some meds I was taking that contained gluten (my mistake) could be responsible.

So, to get over all this  my coeliac clock in terms of diet has had to be reset, in the sense that:

  • I've been told my lactose intollerance is probably back, because of damaged villi, so stay off dairy for a while;
  • no oats for one year (but I've never been able to eat pure oats since DX so I don't wish to try them again in a hurry anyway)
  • and I've been told to avoid eating out for three months. 

Then I'm going to have another TTG test.  Will report back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, icelandgirl said:

It does give me pause to think that maybe it is a very slight gluten exposure and not something terrible...so thank you for that!

Might be worth a TTG test, Icey?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, cristiana said:

Might be worth a TTG test, Icey?

I think you could be right.  I am going to ask my gastro Doc.  Just sent him a message about it.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by icelandgirl
Forgot to add something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cristiana said:

Might be worth a TTG test, Icey?

Thank you again for suggesting this!  I heard back from my Dr and he has ordered labs.  He said we'd start there and then decide next steps based on those results.  I am going to do a walk in to the lab tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:


On 1/10/2018 at 7:58 PM, Jms13 said:

Diagnosed for years, recent unknown exposure put me in the hospital. This time around, instead of bathroom issues, I’m just extremely bloated and retaining lots of water (8lbs in 3 days, don’t eat nearly enough for it to be real weight) How long until this goes away and is there anything I can do to help heal so this awful bloat goes away?  Help!

I'm so sorry to hear this. Are you still in the hospital? What did your doctors say about the bloating? It's probably not this, but have they ruled out ascites? I would need a little more background before I try to answer. Let us know.

Plumbago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I was totally gluten-free. Wasn’t having any of my “normal” celiac symptoms. Just the bloating, so I went into my docs to find out what it was. The bloating was so bad by the end of the night I looked 9 mos pregnant. The doctor reviewed my blood work and sent me straight to the hospital for a pint of blood and 3 iron infusions. They did a cat scan which didn’t show anything. After three days, I went home. My antibodies were highly elevated so my GI did another endoscopy. He said I’m getting exposure somewhere, intestine not in good shape. I’ve replaced appliances since that’s the only thing I can think of that could’ve been the issue. I am extremely cautious with all I put in my mouth now.  I am still getting iron IVS, but the bloating is worse than ever and now I’m gaining weight. None of my doctors seem to care about the bloating, they are more concerned with the severe anemia. I’m trying to find a nutritionist in my area but haven’t really found one that specializes in celiac. I’m not a large person, typically weigh around 125-130 and I’m 5’6 but since I got out of the hospital I’ve gained almost 9 lbs and I’m eating approx 1400 calories a day. My stomach is almost flat in the morning and looks 9 mos pregnant by nighttime so it’s definitely not normal . I know some weight gain can be normal but I’ve been diagnosed with this disease for 16 yrs and always maintained my weight. So I don’t understand what is happening right now. I’ve had zero symptoms of exposure aside from this bloating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jms13 said:

I thought I was totally gluten-free. Wasn’t having any of my “normal” celiac symptoms. Just the bloating, so I went into my docs to find out what it was. The bloating was so bad by the end of the night I looked 9 mos pregnant. The doctor reviewed my blood work and sent me straight to the hospital for a pint of blood and 3 iron infusions. They did a cat scan which didn’t show anything. After three days, I went home. My antibodies were highly elevated so my GI did another endoscopy. He said I’m getting exposure somewhere, intestine not in good shape. I’ve replaced appliances since that’s the only thing I can think of that could’ve been the issue. I am extremely cautious with all I put in my mouth now.  I am still getting iron IVS, but the bloating is worse than ever and now I’m gaining weight. None of my doctors seem to care about the bloating, they are more concerned with the severe anemia. I’m trying to find a nutritionist in my area but haven’t really found one that specializes in celiac. I’m not a large person, typically weigh around 125-130 and I’m 5’6 but since I got out of the hospital I’ve gained almost 9 lbs and I’m eating approx 1400 calories a day. My stomach is almost flat in the morning and looks 9 mos pregnant by nighttime so it’s definitely not normal . I know some weight gain can be normal but I’ve been diagnosed with this disease for 16 yrs and always maintained my weight. So I don’t understand what is happening right now. I’ve had zero symptoms of exposure aside from this bloating. 

Look up the Fasano diet

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding what you say is severe anemia, if there are reduced red blood cells then often the heart increases output to compensate. But only in really really severe anemia. Is it possible the doctors think if the anemia is corrected then the bloating will be too? You've left the hospital - does that mean the iron deficiency is corrected?

So they think you have iron deficiency anemia (though we don't know your levels). How is your B12 level? Lack of adequate B12 can cause bloating. So can hypothyroidism.

I recommend a hands-on physical assessment. Seems like such a daring thing to ask for these days. Also, having a tummy is sometimes an adjustment those of us in middle age have to make. I don't mean to suggest that is what it is (we don't know your age), or to make light of anything, but that that may be a possibility. There are many other things that can cause bloating, and a 9 pound gain is something that should not be trivialized.

Plumbago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, plumbago said:

Regarding what you say is severe anemia, if there are reduced red blood cells then often the heart increases output to compensate. But only in really really severe anemia. Is it possible the doctors think if the anemia is corrected then the bloating will be too? You've left the hospital - does that mean the iron deficiency is corrected?

So they think you have iron deficiency anemia (though we don't know your levels). How is your B12 level? Lack of adequate B12 can cause bloating. So can hypothyroidism.

I recommend a hands-on physical assessment. Seems like such a daring thing to ask for these days. Also, having a tummy is sometimes an adjustment those of us in middle age have to make. I don't mean to suggest that is what it is (we don't know your age), or to make light of anything, but that that may be a possibility. There are many other things that can cause bloating, and a 9 pound gain is something that should not be trivialized.

Plumbago

My hemoglobin was 6 at time of blood transfusion, iron saturation was 4% and ferritin was 3, iron 18.  I am still receiving iron infusions via outpatient, hemoglobin is on the rise since receiving the blood but hemotolgist said the cells are still small. I did go back to my primary care doctor. He is not much help as far as celiac knowledge goes and refered  me back to my GI. I have an appt in 2 weeks with him but did put a call in yesterday about the rapid weight gain and am waiting his reply. I am 44, and I also realize that a tummy and a different metabolism is part of aging. However 9 lbs in that short of a time, just doesn’t seem right all things considered. 

Edited by Jms13
Looked up blood work, had numbers wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jms13 said:

e is not much help as far as celiac knowledge goes and refered  me back to my GI.

 

My only suggestion on hearing this is to take a picture of your abdomen in the morning when it is flat, and then another one later in the day when you look 9 months pregnant, put the two images in one file (like a before and after) to show to the hematologist and ask him or her if that is normal. If his/her office provides web portal services, send it electronically. Good luck and keep us posted.

Plumbago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, that’s a good suggestion. I have appointments with all 3 of my doctors in the next two weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, kareng said:

Look up the Fasano diet

Thank you, I am researching that now. I’m wondering if I am a non responsive celiac. Something to definitely discuss with my GI doctor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jms13 said:

My hemoglobin was 6 at time of blood transfusion, iron saturation was 4% and ferritin was 17. I am still receiving iron infusions via outpatient, hemoglobin is on the rise since receiving the blood but hemotolgist said the cells are still small. I did go back to my primary care doctor. He is not much help as far as celiac knowledge goes and refered  me back to my GI. I have an appt in 2 weeks with him but did put a call in yesterday about the rapid weight gain and am waiting his reply. I am 44, and I also realize that a tummy and a different metabolism is part of aging. However 9 lbs in that short of a time, just doesn’t seem right all things considered. 

Have other anemias been ruled out (you can have more than one type)?   Small red blood cells can also be attributed to Thalassemia.  I say that because my iron-deficiency anemia was often overlooked because I have Thalassemia (that and menstruation).  

Also, Karen’s suggestion of the Fasano diet is a good one.   You might be exposed to a hidden gluten or perhaps become even more sensitive to even 20ppm.  

Maybe an endoscopy is in order.  You might have an ulcer or chronic gastritis (another reason as to why your glutening symptoms have changed.)

Edited by cyclinglady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Maybe an endoscopy is in order.

They did - look upthread and one of the OP's comments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:


7 minutes ago, plumbago said:

They did - look upthread and one of the OP's comments.

Dang.....another hasty reply by me!  I guess I was thinking about myself.  I need to post an update on my progress which could help a few people.  Great catch and thank you.  😄

So, Karen’s advice to go on the Fasano diet temporarily might be the best solution for active celiac disease.  

Edited by cyclinglady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Dang.....another hasty reply by me!  I guess I was thinking about myself.  I need to post an update on my progress which could help a few people.  Great catch and thank you.  😄

So, Karen’s advice to go on the Fasano diet temporarily might be the best solution for active celiac disease.  

I hope you do, I would love to know what you learned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3

  • Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 217 Guests (See full list)

  • Top Posters +

  • Recent Articles

    Advertising Banner-Ads
    Bakery On Main started in the small bakery of a natural foods market on Main Street in Glastonbury, Connecticut. Founder Michael Smulders listened when his customers with Celiac Disease would mention the lack of good tasting, gluten-free options available to them. Upon learning this, he believed that nobody should have to suffer due to any kind of food allergy or dietary need. From then on, his mission became creating delicious and fearlessly unique gluten-free products that were clean and great tasting, while still being safe for his Celiac customers!
    Premium ingredients, bakeshop delicious recipes, and happy customers were our inspiration from the beginning— and are still the cornerstones of Bakery On Main today. We are a fiercely ethical company that believes in integrity and feels that happiness and wholesome, great tasting food should be harmonious. We strive for that in everything we bake in our dedicated gluten-free facility that is GFCO Certified and SQF Level 3 Certified. We use only natural, NON-GMO Project Verified ingredients and all of our products are certified Kosher Parve, dairy and casein free, and we have recently introduced certified Organic items as well! 
    Our passion is to bake the very best products while bringing happiness to our customers, each other, and all those we meet!
    We are available during normal business hours at: 1-888-533-8118 EST.
    To learn more about us at: visit our site.

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/20/2018 - Currently, the only way to manage celiac disease is to eliminate gluten from the diet. That could be set to change as clinical trials begin in Australia for a new vaccine that aims to switch off the immune response to gluten. 
    The trials are set to begin at Australia’s University of the Sunshine Coast Clinical Trials Centre. The vaccine is designed to allow people with celiac disease to consume gluten with no adverse effects. A successful vaccine could be the beginning of the end for the gluten-free diet as the only currently viable treatment for celiac disease. That could be a massive breakthrough for people with celiac disease.
    USC’s Clinical Trials Centre Director Lucas Litewka said trial participants would receive an injection of the vaccine twice a week for seven weeks. The trials will be conducted alongside gastroenterologist Dr. James Daveson, who called the vaccine “a very exciting potential new therapy that has been undergoing clinical trials for several years now.”
    Dr. Daveson said the investigational vaccine might potentially restore gluten tolerance to people with celiac disease.The trial is open to adults between the ages of 18 and 70 who have clinically diagnosed celiac disease, and have followed a strict gluten-free diet for at least 12 months. Anyone interested in participating can go to www.joinourtrials.com.
    Read more at the website for Australia’s University of the Sunshine Coast Clinical Trials Centre.

    Source:
    FoodProcessing.com.au

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/19/2018 - Could baking soda help reduce the inflammation and damage caused by autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, and celiac disease? Scientists at the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University say that a daily dose of baking soda may in fact help reduce inflammation and damage caused by autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, and celiac disease.
    Those scientists recently gathered some of the first evidence to show that cheap, over-the-counter antacids can prompt the spleen to promote an anti-inflammatory environment that could be helpful in combating inflammatory disease.
    A type of cell called mesothelial cells line our body cavities, like the digestive tract. They have little fingers, called microvilli, that sense the environment, and warn the organs they cover that there is an invader and an immune response is needed.
    The team’s data shows that when rats or healthy people drink a solution of baking soda, the stomach makes more acid, which causes mesothelial cells on the outside of the spleen to tell the spleen to go easy on the immune response.  "It's most likely a hamburger not a bacterial infection," is basically the message, says Dr. Paul O'Connor, renal physiologist in the MCG Department of Physiology at Augusta University and the study's corresponding author.
    That message, which is transmitted with help from a chemical messenger called acetylcholine, seems to encourage the gut to shift against inflammation, say the scientists.
    In patients who drank water with baking soda for two weeks, immune cells called macrophages, shifted from primarily those that promote inflammation, called M1, to those that reduce it, called M2. "The shift from inflammatory to an anti-inflammatory profile is happening everywhere," O'Connor says. "We saw it in the kidneys, we saw it in the spleen, now we see it in the peripheral blood."
    O'Connor hopes drinking baking soda can one day produce similar results for people with autoimmune disease. "You are not really turning anything off or on, you are just pushing it toward one side by giving an anti-inflammatory stimulus," he says, in this case, away from harmful inflammation. "It's potentially a really safe way to treat inflammatory disease."
    The research was funded by the National Institutes of Health.
    Read more at: Sciencedaily.com

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/18/2018 - Celiac disease has been mainly associated with Caucasian populations in Northern Europe, and their descendants in other countries, but new scientific evidence is beginning to challenge that view. Still, the exact global prevalence of celiac disease remains unknown.  To get better data on that issue, a team of researchers recently conducted a comprehensive review and meta-analysis to get a reasonably accurate estimate the global prevalence of celiac disease. 
    The research team included P Singh, A Arora, TA Strand, DA Leffler, C Catassi, PH Green, CP Kelly, V Ahuja, and GK Makharia. They are variously affiliated with the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts; Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi, India; Innlandet Hospital Trust, Lillehammer, Norway; Centre for International Health, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway; Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts; Gastroenterology Research and Development, Takeda Pharmaceuticals Inc, Cambridge, MA; Department of Pediatrics, Università Politecnica delle Marche, Ancona, Italy; Department of Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York; USA Celiac Disease Center, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York; and the Department of Gastroenterology and Human Nutrition, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India.
    For their review, the team searched Medline, PubMed, and EMBASE for the keywords ‘celiac disease,’ ‘celiac,’ ‘tissue transglutaminase antibody,’ ‘anti-endomysium antibody,’ ‘endomysial antibody,’ and ‘prevalence’ for studies published from January 1991 through March 2016. 
    The team cross-referenced each article with the words ‘Asia,’ ‘Europe,’ ‘Africa,’ ‘South America,’ ‘North America,’ and ‘Australia.’ They defined celiac diagnosis based on European Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition guidelines. The team used 96 articles of 3,843 articles in their final analysis.
    Overall global prevalence of celiac disease was 1.4% in 275,818 individuals, based on positive blood tests for anti-tissue transglutaminase and/or anti-endomysial antibodies. The pooled global prevalence of biopsy-confirmed celiac disease was 0.7% in 138,792 individuals. That means that numerous people with celiac disease potentially remain undiagnosed.
    Rates of celiac disease were 0.4% in South America, 0.5% in Africa and North America, 0.6% in Asia, and 0.8% in Europe and Oceania; the prevalence was 0.6% in female vs 0.4% males. Celiac disease was significantly more common in children than adults.
    This systematic review and meta-analysis showed celiac disease to be reported worldwide. Blood test data shows celiac disease rate of 1.4%, while biopsy data shows 0.7%. The prevalence of celiac disease varies with sex, age, and location. 
    This review demonstrates a need for more comprehensive population-based studies of celiac disease in numerous countries.  The 1.4% rate indicates that there are 91.2 million people worldwide with celiac disease, and 3.9 million are in the U.S.A.
    Source:
    Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018 Jun;16(6):823-836.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2017.06.037.

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/16/2018 - Summer is the time for chips and salsa. This fresh salsa recipe relies on cabbage, yes, cabbage, as a secret ingredient. The cabbage brings a delicious flavor and helps the salsa hold together nicely for scooping with your favorite chips. The result is a fresh, tasty salsa that goes great with guacamole.
    Ingredients:
    3 cups ripe fresh tomatoes, diced 1 cup shredded green cabbage ½ cup diced yellow onion ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro 1 jalapeno, seeded 1 Serrano pepper, seeded 2 tablespoons lemon juice 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar 2 garlic cloves, minced salt to taste black pepper, to taste Directions:
    Purée all ingredients together in a blender.
    Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. 
    Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, as desired. 
    Serve is a bowl with tortilla chips and guacamole.