Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Diagnosed for years, recent unknown exposure put me in the hospital. This time around, instead of bathroom issues, I’m just extremely bloated and retaining lots of water (8lbs in 3 days, don’t eat nearly enough for it to be real weight) How long until this goes away and is there anything I can do to help heal so this awful bloat goes away?  Help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:


I am so sorry that you are ill!   Unfortunately, I do not have any solutions for you other than to stay hydrated and rest.   Let’s hope other members can offer good advice.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am having the same problem right now. I can't eat and when I do my abdomen bloats and I don't know why. It doesn't matter what I eat or drink. I also burp, or try to, a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi jms,

I am so glad that you posted this as I am having a similar issue and am hoping you get some answers.

Mine started on December 10th, according to my food/symptom diary.   I have bloating in my upper abdomen...stomach area I'm thinking.  I also feel like I need to burp all the time and do.  I sound like I have been downing beers all day.  It's frustrating and I don't know how to make it stop.

Googling has led to it possibly being gastritis, along with some scarier things, but I am pretty sure if I go to the Dr he will think gastritis and want to start a PPI, which I don't want.

I hope you get some answers that can help all of us!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What did the hospital’s diagnosis?  Did they assume it was just a celiac flare up?  Did they test your antibodies?  Any new processed foods ingredients that you might have reacted to?  If it does not resolve soon, make an appointment with your GI.  I do not recall other members reporting retaining water like that, but with celiac disease nothing surprises me.  

I have had my “glutening” symptoms change dramatically (including long recoveries) and for piece of mind, I did get my celiac antibodies checked to actually confirm the glutening (usually am due for an annual follow-up anyway).  My antibodies were elevated the few times I went in over the last five years.   And just so you do not think that I am the “Boy Who Cried Wolf”, I see my doctor because I have passed out (“the captain will turn the flight back — your call”), paramedics insisted, 1000 hives daily for almost six months, broke some bones, severe symptoms (vomiting, ab pain), lasting for over a month and I have YET to identify the gluten source.  So, it was not due to eating a big gluteny donut on purpose.     I am sure my issues are not just celiac disease but a cocktail of things unique to me, so newbies do not worry!  😊

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:


17 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

I have had my “glutening” symptoms change dramatically (including long recoveries) and for piece of mind, I did get my celiac antibodies checked to actually confirm the glutening (usually am due for an annual follow-up anyway).  My antibodies were elevated the few times I went in over the last five years.   And just so you do not think that I am the “Boy Who Cried Wolf”, I see my doctor because I have passed out (“the captain will turn the flight back — your call”), paramedics insisted, 1000 hives daily for almost six months, broke some bones, severe symptoms (vomiting, ab pain), lasting for over a month and I have YET to identify the gluten source.  So, it was not due to eating a big gluteny donut on purpose.     I am sure my issues are not just celiac disease but a cocktail of things unique to me, so newbies do not worry!  😊

 

I appreciate this a lot cyclinglady.  I've been asked if I was glutened and I really don't think so.  Usually my gluten exposures have resulted in massive D, body aches, headaches for 3 weeks or so.  This is literally just upper abdominal bloating and burping.  Uncomfortable, but that's it for a little over a month.

I do wonder though...in December I ate out twice.  Both times at a gluten free restaurant, though.  But I usually only eat out about twice a year.  I switched to a new gluten free flour because I wanted to try one.  Should be fine right?  Maybe I am not as careful about handwashing all the time as I was?  My youngest started school this year and she has gluten there every day.  I have also gone out for coffee several times recently, which should be fine?  But who knows anymore.

It does give me pause to think that maybe it is a very slight gluten exposure and not something terrible...so thank you for that!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting...  I've just seen an incredible hospital nutritionalist about my recently elevated numbers.  I thought I had gastritis with burping and upper bloating and burning over the summer.  But it was gluten all along as my TTG went up to the 80s, and yet I thought I was being sooo good.  Just goes to show.  She reckoned a few glutenings in the autumn as I ate out in places that clearly didn't know what they were doing, plus some meds I was taking that contained gluten (my mistake) could be responsible.

So, to get over all this  my coeliac clock in terms of diet has had to be reset, in the sense that:

  • I've been told my lactose intollerance is probably back, because of damaged villi, so stay off dairy for a while;
  • no oats for one year (but I've never been able to eat pure oats since DX so I don't wish to try them again in a hurry anyway)
  • and I've been told to avoid eating out for three months. 

Then I'm going to have another TTG test.  Will report back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, icelandgirl said:

It does give me pause to think that maybe it is a very slight gluten exposure and not something terrible...so thank you for that!

Might be worth a TTG test, Icey?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, cristiana said:

Might be worth a TTG test, Icey?

I think you could be right.  I am going to ask my gastro Doc.  Just sent him a message about it.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by icelandgirl
Forgot to add something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cristiana said:

Might be worth a TTG test, Icey?

Thank you again for suggesting this!  I heard back from my Dr and he has ordered labs.  He said we'd start there and then decide next steps based on those results.  I am going to do a walk in to the lab tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:


On 1/10/2018 at 7:58 PM, Jms13 said:

Diagnosed for years, recent unknown exposure put me in the hospital. This time around, instead of bathroom issues, I’m just extremely bloated and retaining lots of water (8lbs in 3 days, don’t eat nearly enough for it to be real weight) How long until this goes away and is there anything I can do to help heal so this awful bloat goes away?  Help!

I'm so sorry to hear this. Are you still in the hospital? What did your doctors say about the bloating? It's probably not this, but have they ruled out ascites? I would need a little more background before I try to answer. Let us know.

Plumbago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I was totally gluten-free. Wasn’t having any of my “normal” celiac symptoms. Just the bloating, so I went into my docs to find out what it was. The bloating was so bad by the end of the night I looked 9 mos pregnant. The doctor reviewed my blood work and sent me straight to the hospital for a pint of blood and 3 iron infusions. They did a cat scan which didn’t show anything. After three days, I went home. My antibodies were highly elevated so my GI did another endoscopy. He said I’m getting exposure somewhere, intestine not in good shape. I’ve replaced appliances since that’s the only thing I can think of that could’ve been the issue. I am extremely cautious with all I put in my mouth now.  I am still getting iron IVS, but the bloating is worse than ever and now I’m gaining weight. None of my doctors seem to care about the bloating, they are more concerned with the severe anemia. I’m trying to find a nutritionist in my area but haven’t really found one that specializes in celiac. I’m not a large person, typically weigh around 125-130 and I’m 5’6 but since I got out of the hospital I’ve gained almost 9 lbs and I’m eating approx 1400 calories a day. My stomach is almost flat in the morning and looks 9 mos pregnant by nighttime so it’s definitely not normal . I know some weight gain can be normal but I’ve been diagnosed with this disease for 16 yrs and always maintained my weight. So I don’t understand what is happening right now. I’ve had zero symptoms of exposure aside from this bloating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jms13 said:

I thought I was totally gluten-free. Wasn’t having any of my “normal” celiac symptoms. Just the bloating, so I went into my docs to find out what it was. The bloating was so bad by the end of the night I looked 9 mos pregnant. The doctor reviewed my blood work and sent me straight to the hospital for a pint of blood and 3 iron infusions. They did a cat scan which didn’t show anything. After three days, I went home. My antibodies were highly elevated so my GI did another endoscopy. He said I’m getting exposure somewhere, intestine not in good shape. I’ve replaced appliances since that’s the only thing I can think of that could’ve been the issue. I am extremely cautious with all I put in my mouth now.  I am still getting iron IVS, but the bloating is worse than ever and now I’m gaining weight. None of my doctors seem to care about the bloating, they are more concerned with the severe anemia. I’m trying to find a nutritionist in my area but haven’t really found one that specializes in celiac. I’m not a large person, typically weigh around 125-130 and I’m 5’6 but since I got out of the hospital I’ve gained almost 9 lbs and I’m eating approx 1400 calories a day. My stomach is almost flat in the morning and looks 9 mos pregnant by nighttime so it’s definitely not normal . I know some weight gain can be normal but I’ve been diagnosed with this disease for 16 yrs and always maintained my weight. So I don’t understand what is happening right now. I’ve had zero symptoms of exposure aside from this bloating. 

Look up the Fasano diet

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding what you say is severe anemia, if there are reduced red blood cells then often the heart increases output to compensate. But only in really really severe anemia. Is it possible the doctors think if the anemia is corrected then the bloating will be too? You've left the hospital - does that mean the iron deficiency is corrected?

So they think you have iron deficiency anemia (though we don't know your levels). How is your B12 level? Lack of adequate B12 can cause bloating. So can hypothyroidism.

I recommend a hands-on physical assessment. Seems like such a daring thing to ask for these days. Also, having a tummy is sometimes an adjustment those of us in middle age have to make. I don't mean to suggest that is what it is (we don't know your age), or to make light of anything, but that that may be a possibility. There are many other things that can cause bloating, and a 9 pound gain is something that should not be trivialized.

Plumbago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, plumbago said:

Regarding what you say is severe anemia, if there are reduced red blood cells then often the heart increases output to compensate. But only in really really severe anemia. Is it possible the doctors think if the anemia is corrected then the bloating will be too? You've left the hospital - does that mean the iron deficiency is corrected?

So they think you have iron deficiency anemia (though we don't know your levels). How is your B12 level? Lack of adequate B12 can cause bloating. So can hypothyroidism.

I recommend a hands-on physical assessment. Seems like such a daring thing to ask for these days. Also, having a tummy is sometimes an adjustment those of us in middle age have to make. I don't mean to suggest that is what it is (we don't know your age), or to make light of anything, but that that may be a possibility. There are many other things that can cause bloating, and a 9 pound gain is something that should not be trivialized.

Plumbago

My hemoglobin was 6 at time of blood transfusion, iron saturation was 4% and ferritin was 3, iron 18.  I am still receiving iron infusions via outpatient, hemoglobin is on the rise since receiving the blood but hemotolgist said the cells are still small. I did go back to my primary care doctor. He is not much help as far as celiac knowledge goes and refered  me back to my GI. I have an appt in 2 weeks with him but did put a call in yesterday about the rapid weight gain and am waiting his reply. I am 44, and I also realize that a tummy and a different metabolism is part of aging. However 9 lbs in that short of a time, just doesn’t seem right all things considered. 

Edited by Jms13
Looked up blood work, had numbers wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jms13 said:

e is not much help as far as celiac knowledge goes and refered  me back to my GI.

 

My only suggestion on hearing this is to take a picture of your abdomen in the morning when it is flat, and then another one later in the day when you look 9 months pregnant, put the two images in one file (like a before and after) to show to the hematologist and ask him or her if that is normal. If his/her office provides web portal services, send it electronically. Good luck and keep us posted.

Plumbago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, that’s a good suggestion. I have appointments with all 3 of my doctors in the next two weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, kareng said:

Look up the Fasano diet

Thank you, I am researching that now. I’m wondering if I am a non responsive celiac. Something to definitely discuss with my GI doctor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jms13 said:

My hemoglobin was 6 at time of blood transfusion, iron saturation was 4% and ferritin was 17. I am still receiving iron infusions via outpatient, hemoglobin is on the rise since receiving the blood but hemotolgist said the cells are still small. I did go back to my primary care doctor. He is not much help as far as celiac knowledge goes and refered  me back to my GI. I have an appt in 2 weeks with him but did put a call in yesterday about the rapid weight gain and am waiting his reply. I am 44, and I also realize that a tummy and a different metabolism is part of aging. However 9 lbs in that short of a time, just doesn’t seem right all things considered. 

Have other anemias been ruled out (you can have more than one type)?   Small red blood cells can also be attributed to Thalassemia.  I say that because my iron-deficiency anemia was often overlooked because I have Thalassemia (that and menstruation).  

Also, Karen’s suggestion of the Fasano diet is a good one.   You might be exposed to a hidden gluten or perhaps become even more sensitive to even 20ppm.  

Maybe an endoscopy is in order.  You might have an ulcer or chronic gastritis (another reason as to why your glutening symptoms have changed.)

Edited by cyclinglady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Maybe an endoscopy is in order.

They did - look upthread and one of the OP's comments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:


7 minutes ago, plumbago said:

They did - look upthread and one of the OP's comments.

Dang.....another hasty reply by me!  I guess I was thinking about myself.  I need to post an update on my progress which could help a few people.  Great catch and thank you.  😄

So, Karen’s advice to go on the Fasano diet temporarily might be the best solution for active celiac disease.  

Edited by cyclinglady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Dang.....another hasty reply by me!  I guess I was thinking about myself.  I need to post an update on my progress which could help a few people.  Great catch and thank you.  😄

So, Karen’s advice to go on the Fasano diet temporarily might be the best solution for active celiac disease.  

I hope you do, I would love to know what you learned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3

  • Who's Online   21 Members, 1 Anonymous, 487 Guests (See full list)

  • Top Posters +

  • Recent Articles

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/23/2018 - If you’re looking for a great gluten-free Mexican-style favorite that is sure to be a big hit at dinner or at your next potluck, try these green chili enchiladas with roasted cauliflower. The recipe calls for chicken, but they are just as delicious when made vegetarian using just the roasted cauliflower. Either way, these enchiladas will disappear fast. Roasted cauliflower gives these green chili chicken enchiladas a deep, smokey flavor that diners are sure to love.
    Ingredients:
    2 cans gluten-free green chili enchilada sauce (I use Hatch brand) 1 small head cauliflower, roasted and chopped 6 ounces chicken meat, browned ½ cup cotija cheese, crumbled ½ cup queso fresco, diced 1 medium onion, diced ⅓ cup green onions, minced ¼ cup radishes, sliced 1 tablespoon cooking oil 1 cup chopped cabbage, for serving ½ cup sliced cherry or grape tomatoes, for serving ¼ cup cilantro, chopped 1 dozen fresh corn tortillas  ⅔ cup oil, for softening tortillas 1 large avocado, cut into small chunks Note: For a tasty vegetarian version, just omit the chicken, double the roasted cauliflower, and prepare according to directions.
    Directions:
    Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a cast iron or ovenproof pan until hot.
    Add chicken and brown lightly on both sides. 
    Remove chicken to paper towels to cool.
     
    Cut cauliflower into small pieces and place in the oiled pan.
    Roast in oven at 350F until browned on both sides.
    Remove from the oven when tender. 
    Allow roasted cauliflower to cool.
    Chop cauliflower, or break into small pieces and set aside.
    Chop cooled chicken and set aside.
    Heat 1 inch of cooking oil in a small frying pan.
    When oil is hot, use a spatula to submerge a tortilla in the oil and leave only long enough to soften, about 10 seconds or so. 
    Remove soft tortilla to a paper towel and repeat with remaining tortillas.
    Pour enough enchilada sauce to coat the bottom of a large casserole pan.
    Dunk a tortilla into the sauce and cover both sides. Add more sauce as needed.
    Fill each tortilla with bits of chicken, cauliflower, onion, and queso fresco, and roll into shape.
    When pan is full of rolled enchiladas, top with remaining sauce.
    Cook at 350F until sauce bubbles.
    Remove and top with fresh cotija cheese and scallions.
    Serve with rice, beans, and cabbage, and garnish with avocado, cilantro, and sliced grape tomatoes.

     

    Roxanne Bracknell
    Celiac.com 06/22/2018 - The rise of food allergies means that many people are avoiding gluten in recent times. In fact, the number of Americans who have stopped eating gluten has tripled in eight years between 2009 and 2017.
    Whatever your rationale for avoiding gluten, whether its celiac disease, a sensitivity to the protein, or any other reason, it can be really hard to find suitable places to eat out. When you’re on holiday in a new and unknown environment, this can be near impossible. As awareness of celiac disease grows around the world, however, more and more cities are opening their doors to gluten-free lifestyles, none more so than the 10 locations on the list below.
    Perhaps unsurprisingly, the U.S is a hotbed of gluten-free options, with four cities making the top 10, as well as the Hawaiian island of Maui. Chicago, in particular, is a real haven of gluten-free fare, with 240 coeliac-safe eateries throughout this huge city. The super hip city of Portland also ranks highly on this list, with the capital of counterculture rich in gluten-free cuisine, with San Francisco and Denver also included. Outside of the states, several prominent European capitals also rank very highly on the list, including Prague, the picturesque and historic capital of the Czech Republic, which boasts the best-reviewed restaurants on this list.
    The Irish capital of Dublin, meanwhile, has the most gluten-free establishments, with a huge 330 to choose from, while Amsterdam and Barcelona also feature prominently thanks to their variety of top-notch gluten-free fodder.
    Finally, a special mention must go to Auckland, the sole representative of Australasia in this list, with the largest city in New Zealand rounding out the top 10 thanks to its 180 coeliacsafe eateries.
    The full top ten gluten-free cities are shown in the graphic below:
     

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/21/2018 - Would you buy a house advertised as ‘gluten-free’? Yes, there really is such a house for sale. 
    It seems a Phoenix realtor Mike D’Elena is hoping that his trendy claim will catch the eye of a buyer hungry to avoid gluten, or, at least one with a sense of humor. D’Elena said he crafted the ads as a way to “be funny and to draw attention.” The idea, D’Elena said, is to “make it memorable.” 
    Though D’Elena’s marketing seeks to capitalizes on the gluten-free trend, he knows Celiac disease is a serious health issue for some people. “[W]e’re not here to offend anybody….this is just something we're just trying to do to draw attention and do what's best for our clients," he said. 
    Still, the signs seem to be working. D'elena had fielded six offers within a few days of listing the west Phoenix home.
    "Buying can sometimes be the most stressful thing you do in your entire life so why not have some fun with it," he said. 
    What do you think? Clever? Funny?
    Read more at Arizonafamily.com.

    Advertising Banner-Ads
    Bakery On Main started in the small bakery of a natural foods market on Main Street in Glastonbury, Connecticut. Founder Michael Smulders listened when his customers with Celiac Disease would mention the lack of good tasting, gluten-free options available to them. Upon learning this, he believed that nobody should have to suffer due to any kind of food allergy or dietary need. From then on, his mission became creating delicious and fearlessly unique gluten-free products that were clean and great tasting, while still being safe for his Celiac customers!
    Premium ingredients, bakeshop delicious recipes, and happy customers were our inspiration from the beginning— and are still the cornerstones of Bakery On Main today. We are a fiercely ethical company that believes in integrity and feels that happiness and wholesome, great tasting food should be harmonious. We strive for that in everything we bake in our dedicated gluten-free facility that is GFCO Certified and SQF Level 3 Certified. We use only natural, NON-GMO Project Verified ingredients and all of our products are certified Kosher Parve, dairy and casein free, and we have recently introduced certified Organic items as well! 
    Our passion is to bake the very best products while bringing happiness to our customers, each other, and all those we meet!
    We are available during normal business hours at: 1-888-533-8118 EST.
    To learn more about us at: visit our site.

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/20/2018 - Currently, the only way to manage celiac disease is to eliminate gluten from the diet. That could be set to change as clinical trials begin in Australia for a new vaccine that aims to switch off the immune response to gluten. 
    The trials are set to begin at Australia’s University of the Sunshine Coast Clinical Trials Centre. The vaccine is designed to allow people with celiac disease to consume gluten with no adverse effects. A successful vaccine could be the beginning of the end for the gluten-free diet as the only currently viable treatment for celiac disease. That could be a massive breakthrough for people with celiac disease.
    USC’s Clinical Trials Centre Director Lucas Litewka said trial participants would receive an injection of the vaccine twice a week for seven weeks. The trials will be conducted alongside gastroenterologist Dr. James Daveson, who called the vaccine “a very exciting potential new therapy that has been undergoing clinical trials for several years now.”
    Dr. Daveson said the investigational vaccine might potentially restore gluten tolerance to people with celiac disease.The trial is open to adults between the ages of 18 and 70 who have clinically diagnosed celiac disease, and have followed a strict gluten-free diet for at least 12 months. Anyone interested in participating can go to www.joinourtrials.com.
    Read more at the website for Australia’s University of the Sunshine Coast Clinical Trials Centre.

    Source:
    FoodProcessing.com.au

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      110,282
    • Total Posts
      949,894
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      77,983
    • Most Online
      3,093

    Newest Member
    Colleen Gorlick
    Joined
  • Popular Now

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • While not the best (less specific), AGA antibodies still have some value.  For the most part, most labs are now just running the newer DGP tests in the U.S. Some posters reside in countries that may not have the most current tests.  I assume the DGP was run, but I could be wrong.  Maybe the OP can clarify. Here is a study to back my claim: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5553580/
    • IgA 678 Tissue Transglutaminase IgA 2 units Tissue Transglutaminase IgG 3 units Giliadin IgG 24 units Giliadin IgA 62 Units but Endomysial Ab negative?
    • It looks like you were tested with the old anti-gliadin antibodies, which unfortunately are not good tests for Celiac Disease.  These old tests show that at some point gliadin has gotten into your system and an antibody has formed against it.  It may be a sign that you had "leaky gut".  These kinds of antibodies can come and go and overall are not very helpful in establishing a diagnosis. But there are some other blood tests that still might be useful:  the tissue transglutaminase (tTG-IgA) and the newer gliadin test:  deamidated gliadin peptide antibodies (DGP IgA and DGP IgG).       Some doctors will proceed with a biopsy if you have symptoms and negative celiac blood tests, because even in Celiac Disease blood tests are negative about 10% of the time.  There are some screening checklists here:  http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/screening-checklists.html If you have all the right tests and they are negative, you could still have non-celiac gluten sensitivity or other types of food sensitivity.  At that point you could do an elimination diet to determine what is causing symptoms.
    • Wow!  I wish you the best on your upcoming Ironman.  I have done some sprints and relays, but never an Ironman.  Usually, I do Century Rides.  Like you, I am on a lower carb, high fat gluten-free diet.   Hey, I am looking at two Nunn containers right now in y kitchen.  One, citrus fruit does have corn, dextrose.  The other, Pomergranate Blueberry does not.  It simply has sugar (non-GMO sourced).  
    • Welcome!  At 235, your Immunoglobulin A is normal.  In the case of celiac disease, this test validates the other IgA celiac tests (it is a control test).  The positive gliadin IgA is elevated.  This means you should get referred to a Gastroenterologist for an endoscopy to obtain small intestinal biopsies.  You do not need all the celiac blood tests to be positive.  In fact, I just had only the elevated gliadin IGA and my biopsies revealed some moderate to severe patches of damaged villi.   Keep eating gluten until you see the Gastroenterologist.  In the meantime, keep researching celiac disease and ask questions!  
  • Blog Entries

  • Upcoming Events