Laurie Thompson

Ttga and ttgg same value on blood test

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, Laurie Thompson said:

Just received my ttga and ttgg value on blood test

both test show <1... what does that mean??

Welcome! 

It could mean that you do not have celiac disease.  What were the lab ranges?  Have you been eating gluten every day for the past three months?  All celiac testing requires  a person to be on a full gluten diet.   Was an IgA deficiency test (Immunoglobulin A) run?  In the case of diagnosing celiac disease, it is used as a control test (determines if the TTG IgA test actually worked).  If you are IgA deficient, you might need additional celiac diagnostic tests.  If you think you have celiac disease, then you could ask for the rest of the celiac panel (EMA and DGP), because although the TTG is the most common celiac screening test, it does not catch all celiacs (like me).  If my doctor had not run the entire celiac panel, my diagnosis would not have been made.  ?

learn more about testing:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

Edited by cyclinglady

A study in both Norway and Australia backs up some of that earlier research, pointing the finger at a sugar chain called fructans rather than gluten. Both are found in wheat, barley, rye, and more.

In the research, 59 non-celiacs who ate a gluten-free diet were asked to eat special cereal bars. One type contained gluten, another fructans, and the third had neither. The participants were split into three groups, with each person eating one bar a day for a week, before having a week’s break and then eating the next bar. They didn’t know which bar was which.

The results showed that the fructans bar triggered bloating 15 percent more than the control bar, and gastrointestinal symptoms 13 percent more. However, the gluten bar was found to be no different from the control bar.

This suggests that gluten sensitivity may not be correct and that fructans may instead be the cause. This could open up foods that are low in fructans but high in gluten, like soy sauce, while also lowering the risk of developing type 2 diabetes for people that were on a gluten-free diet.

So it may not be gluten causing your problems. Not sure how this would affect the tests? The above article was printed in November 2017.