KeriMary

Hopeful but still anxious

Rate this topic

Hi everyone! New to the forum. I was diagnosed in 2012, told to never eat gluten again, and never had a follow-up or anyone really care about the diagnosis. My Endo checked my vitamin D levels (the low level and genetic history lead to my diagnosis) bi-annually which have remained now in the normal range. This level is what I was always told determined if absorption was happening or not. I have never heard of the things everyone on here gets tested for :( I feel so cheated out of my health in a way.

anyways. I have severe, severe brain fog. I used to be so smart, sharp, witty, focused. I even have some personality changes and severe anxiety. I was put on Xanax after I was diagnosed but my tolerance to that medication is outrageous. I have to take three times the prescribed dose (my doctor knows this) in order to get any relief/clarity. I have a weight problem even though I work out four days a week (with a trainer), probably due to my flip floppy thyroid levels. Anyways, that’s my story! I have appointments with a new PCP, Endo, and GI doc in March! Just wanted to share with you all because you’re so kind and helpful. If anyone has any advice for this brain fog, I would be so appreciative. 

I should also mention that I was extremely smart and sharp before stopping gluten, ironic? Like the lack of gluten dumbed me down ? I never ever cheat. I know restaurants aren’t 100%, but I rarely chance that. There may be SOME cross contamination but I never feel repercussions. 

Thanks for reading ☺️

1 hour ago, KeriMary said:

Hi everyone! New to the forum. I was diagnosed in 2012, told to never eat gluten again, and never had a follow-up or anyone really care about the diagnosis. My Endo checked my vitamin D levels (the low level and genetic history lead to my diagnosis) bi-annually which have remained now in the normal range. This level is what I was always told determined if absorption was happening or not. I have never heard of the things everyone on here gets tested for :( I feel so cheated out of my health in a way.

anyways. I have severe, severe brain fog. I used to be so smart, sharp, witty, focused. I even have some personality changes and severe anxiety. I was put on Xanax after I was diagnosed but my tolerance to that medication is outrageous. I have to take three times the prescribed dose (my doctor knows this) in order to get any relief/clarity. I have a weight problem even though I work out four days a week (with a trainer), probably due to my flip floppy thyroid levels. Anyways, that’s my story! I have appointments with a new PCP, Endo, and GI doc in March! Just wanted to share with you all because you’re so kind and helpful. If anyone has any advice for this brain fog, I would be so appreciative. 

I should also mention that I was extremely smart and sharp before stopping gluten, ironic? Like the lack of gluten dumbed me down ? I never ever cheat. I know restaurants aren’t 100%, but I rarely chance that. There may be SOME cross contamination but I never feel repercussions. 

Thanks for reading ☺️

Magnesium, B-vitamins, Vitamin D etc. Should probably be supplemented. For the fog, stress, brain issues I swear by my regime of Liquid Health Stress & Energy, and Liquid Health Neurlogical support 1tbsp each 3 times a day in a beverage before a meal. Works wonders, magnesium is also wonderful, you did not mention constipation or D so I do not know which is best for you. There is Doctors best and Natural Vitality, Doctors best works great for relaxing and is easy on the gut but Natural Vitality is easier absorbed but can be harsh on the gut, it also is great for constipation. Doctors you dose as it tells you, Natural Vitality, you start off at 1/4 tsp and up it slowly to full dose over 1-2 weeks.
Liquid Health also makes Vitamin D3 in a sublingual form. ALL of these can be found on Luckyvitamin.com and on Amazon.
These will help with you fog, and anxiety.

Welcome!  

Get that follow-up testing.  At least help  confirm that you are compliant with the diet and that celiac disease is not the root cause of your brain fog and anxiety.  Once ruled out, your doctors can focus on other possible AI issues that are beyond your control (unlike celiac disease).  For now, you can focus on a good healthy diet.  Consider a modified AIP diet.  I just read a study involving this diet and IBD (autoimmune) done by Scripps in San Diego.  There was a 77% remissions rate.  Amazing!  This can (in theory)  be applied to other autoimmune issues.  It helps to validate that diet can heal.  

http://journals.lww.com/ibdjournal/Pages/ArticleViewer.aspx?year=2017&issue=11000&article=00021&type=Fulltext

here are some follow-up guidelines:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/how-often-should-follow-up-testing-occur/

Hang in there.  Consider Ennis’ tips too, but I prefer and do well without supplements.  My doctor has checked me for deficiencies and so should yours.  You need to really  figure out what is best for you (food, supplements, etc.) 

Edited by cyclinglady

Hi there KeriMary

I think iron is something worth looking into on this one, too.

My teenage daughter has been looking pale recently and has started using the wrong words for things - something that I do when my iron is low.  It made life interesting when I used to have to give talks.  One evening the audience was joining in as I tried to find the right word for 'lantern'.   (I need to get my daughter's iron checked!)