5 5
Boliviab

Could this be possible gluten allergy?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I know its probably hard / impossible to say without proper tests but Im looking for opinions on this please.

I have been having a pain in my lower right abdomen for quite some times now , started probably about 10 to 12 months ago whilst training for a marathon, but only slightly on and off. It got progressively more regular and worse and about from about Aug/Sep onwards I was taking anti inflammatory meds and ibuprofen for the pain quite often. I wasnt really in a position to see a doctor as I was "inbetween several countries" aswell as in between living arrangements. I traveled in india for a bit and ended up taking antibiotics there as I thought it was maybe an infection. I did a course of anti parasite tablets thinking it might be that (and there was some but it didnt stop this pain). End of Oct the pain was quite bad one day and I had been getting quite a few fevers aswell I ended up going to ER in the UK and thinking it might be appendicitis but they tested , said it wasnt , that no signs of infection etc and sent me away. A few weeks after I returned to Bolivia to live and have been since and it was getting worse. I ended up going to hospital again new years day (hadnt drunk anything the night before as felt too bad ) and had a scan. They told me it was a gastric infection , there was swelling and signs of fatty liver stage 1. Gave me antibiotics to take and said cut out fatty things etc. It improved with the antibiotics and anti spasmodics I was given but also would come back on some days so Im thinking it cant be an infection when one day it is bad the next less so and then after that bad again (this is after finishing the ABs) - it must be something effecting it. 

I am veggie over 25 years and recently plant based vegan so overall my diet is pretty healthy anyway but I had never avoided gluten, Then we found some seitan vegan sausages for sale and tried them (and in previous days I had been eating gluten / seitan type stuff also) and I got bad again the next day which made me think it was maybe that and maybe it is an allergy to gluten. So i cut out all gluten and 2 days later in the evening (last night) I felt better than I had for ages , today it is a little bit of a swollen feeling there again (i might have had something with gluten by accident yesterday as wasnt sure of ingredient of some lentil burgers we ate) but not very bad. Also , i have been getting quite itchy all over with some red patches (since avoiding gluten) 

Do this sound like a potential gluten intolerance issue ? The intestine area pain is the bit im most wanting to find the reason for as it has been really effecting my life quality. Would that be a typical symptom of gluten intolerance , a dull aching to sharp throbbing type pain , often after eating in lower to mid right side , sometimes constipation and some improvement after going but not completely?

thanks for any help - I am actually hopeful that I might have found the cause because I dont believe the doctors here will find it themselves (this is from lots of experience here)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:


6 minutes ago, Boliviab said:

I know its probably hard / impossible to say without proper tests but Im looking for opinions on this please.

I have been having a pain in my lower right abdomen for quite some times now , started probably about 10 to 12 months ago whilst training for a marathon, but only slightly on and off. It got progressively more regular and worse and about from about Aug/Sep onwards I was taking anti inflammatory meds and ibuprofen for the pain quite often. I wasnt really in a position to see a doctor as I was "inbetween several countries" aswell as in between living arrangements. I traveled in india for a bit and ended up taking antibiotics there as I thought it was maybe an infection. I did a course of anti parasite tablets thinking it might be that (and there was some but it didnt stop this pain). End of Oct the pain was quite bad one day and I had been getting quite a few fevers aswell I ended up going to ER in the UK and thinking it might be appendicitis but they tested , said it wasnt , that no signs of infection etc and sent me away. A few weeks after I returned to Bolivia to live and have been since and it was getting worse. I ended up going to hospital again new years day (hadnt drunk anything the night before as felt too bad ) and had a scan. They told me it was a gastric infection , there was swelling and signs of fatty liver stage 1. Gave me antibiotics to take and said cut out fatty things etc. It improved with the antibiotics and anti spasmodics I was given but also would come back on some days so Im thinking it cant be an infection when one day it is bad the next less so and then after that bad again (this is after finishing the ABs) - it must be something effecting it. 

I am veggie over 25 years and recently plant based vegan so overall my diet is pretty healthy anyway but I had never avoided gluten, Then we found some seitan vegan sausages for sale and tried them (and in previous days I had been eating gluten / seitan type stuff also) and I got bad again the next day which made me think it was maybe that and maybe it is an allergy to gluten. So i cut out all gluten and 2 days later in the evening (last night) I felt better than I had for ages , today it is a little bit of a swollen feeling there again (i might have had something with gluten by accident yesterday as wasnt sure of ingredient of some lentil burgers we ate) but not very bad. Also , i have been getting quite itchy all over with some red patches (since avoiding gluten) 

Do this sound like a potential gluten intolerance issue ? The intestine area pain is the bit im most wanting to find the reason for as it has been really effecting my life quality. Would that be a typical symptom of gluten intolerance , a dull aching to sharp throbbing type pain , often after eating in lower to mid right side , sometimes constipation and some improvement after going but not completely?

thanks for any help - I am actually hopeful that I might have found the cause because I dont believe the doctors here will find it themselves (this is from lots of experience here)

First - there is no such thing as a "gluten allergy".  Celiac is an autoimmune disease.  Just so you understand.

It could be Celiac or a different gluten intolerance.  I am guessing you aren't going to get tested for Celiac disease.  IF it were me, I would be more concerned that maybe there is still some sort of infection or parasite from the places you have been.  I think I would try to get a good work-up for that first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Karen's point about parasites etc is a good one. They can cause a lot of symptoms similar to celiac /ncgs as you probably know. 

At 11 I had my appendix removed following pain in the lower right side of my torso. On waking up the surgeon told me that it was actually ok, when I asked what caused the pain I think they said it was probably glandular - they didn't know. Later I got pains in the stomach, usually a dull ache although I could get a fierce stabbing pain there too. When I went gluten free those pains stopped. as did my chronic sciatic backache which Ive subsequently realised was probably due to inflammed tissues pressing on nerves.

I would ask the Bolivian doctors if they can get any celiac blood testing done. The standard ttg may not be beyond their labs. can't hurt to ask?

Give your diet my guess is you've had a lot of gluten for a long time. If its an issue for you expect a bumpy ride when removing it. 

Best of luck!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ,  i was thinking that an intolerance and allergy were about the same thing really but sorry if im wrong. I know celiac is an autoimmune disease but was thinking that is different again, more serious and was erring on the side of my possible issue not being that but more of the intolerance type. Clearly im just guessing though and dont know about this stuff , hence the posting for advice,

The problem with trying to get tested is that in bolivia there are very limited tests and doctors are unreliable so you have to rely on yourself to certain degree. I have heard of a test here and was planning on looking into that but it made sense to try to get some opinions and advice online first so Im in a better position to understand if any tests here are actually reliable enough.

I dont think there is an issue with travel parasites etc as I have already taken the medications thats would kill them like a course of albendazol and praziquantel and that was after a 2 week anti parasite cleanse. That did feel like it got rid of anything and the only issue I have been left with is this pain as described.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jmg said:

Karen's point about parasites etc is a good one. They can cause a lot of symptoms similar to celiac /ncgs as you probably know. 

At 11 I had my appendix removed following pain in the lower right side of my torso. On waking up the surgeon told me that it was actually ok, when I asked what caused the pain I think they said it was probably glandular - they didn't know. Later I got pains in the stomach, usually a dull ache although I could get a fierce stabbing pain there too. When I went gluten free those pains stopped. as did my chronic sciatic backache which Ive subsequently realised was probably due to inflammed tissues pressing on nerves.

I would ask the Bolivian doctors if they can get any celiac blood testing done. The standard ttg may not be beyond their labs. can't hurt to ask?

Give your diet my guess is you've had a lot of gluten for a long time. If its an issue for you expect a bumpy ride when removing it. 

Best of luck!

 

Yeah , i will look into getting tested - like you say there is no harm in it . What I found very interesting is the part where you say "Later I got pains in the stomach, usually a dull ache although I could get a fierce stabbing pain there too. When I went gluten free those pains stopped. as did my chronic sciatic backache which Ive subsequently realised was probably due to inflamed tissues pressing on nerves." - I also started to get chronic sciatic nerve pain on the right side over a similar time period and am wondering if its the same kind of thing. If I could solve both those things it would be life changing for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:


Celiac disease can be dormant for years til a strain/stress to the immune system makes it come out. Many of us have had this issues, your infection run in might have triggered the dormant genes for the disease if you had them. I would follow up with the testing, see about getting a full celiac blood panel if you can, you have to be eating gluten for 12 weeks daily prior to testing. http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

 

If not celiac it could be another food intolerance/sensitivity I suggest keeping a food diary and tracking what you eat, seasonings, how it is cooked etc. And how you feel later. Change up our diet more and look for patterns.  Here is stuff to read up on. https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/are-food-sensitivities-for-life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Boliviab said:

I also started to get chronic sciatic nerve pain on the right side over a similar time period and am wondering if its the same kind of thing. If I could solve both those things it would be life changing for me

I was completely floored by the realisation after I went gluten free of just how badly it had been affecting me. Before then I had all these different things which I was either barely coping with, ignoring, trying to pretend they weren't there etc. I went gluten free and suddenly all sorts of different things started to resolve. It blew my mind!

Try and get a blood test now before cutting it, its so much easier than going back on it for a gluten challenge. 

If the test is negative, don't assume its not an issue for you. My test was negative but I responded to the diet. 

Lots of help and advice here if you need it :)

Best of luck!

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jmg said:

I was completely floored by the realisation after I went gluten free of just how badly it had been affecting me. Before then I had all these different things which I was either barely coping with, ignoring, trying to pretend they weren't there etc. I went gluten free and suddenly all sorts of different things started to resolve. It blew my mind!

Try and get a blood test now before cutting it, its so much easier than going back on it for a gluten challenge. 

If the test is negative, don't assume its not an issue for you. My test was negative but I responded to the diet. 

Lots of help and advice here if you need it :)

Best of luck!

Matt

yeah , i might try go tomorrow if I can find out - i literally stopped 2 days ago so unikely to be out of my system and if im due to go for a test tomorrow I could maybe try eating something witha bit of gluten in tonight or something to "top up" as it were

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Boliviab said:

yeah , i might try go tomorrow if I can find out - i literally stopped 2 days ago so unikely to be out of my system and if im due to go for a test tomorrow I could maybe try eating something witha bit of gluten in tonight or something to "top up" as it were

A couple of days gluten-free probably won't matter.  but it doesn't work that way.  It isn't gluten in your system" they are testing for.  Gluten is not in your blood.  It is the antibodies your body makes to gluten that the blood test looks for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kareng said:

A couple of days gluten-free probably won't matter.  but it doesn't work that way.  It isn't gluten in your system" they are testing for.  Gluten is not in your blood.  It is the antibodies your body makes to gluten that the blood test looks for.

my thinking was that if I ate gluten tonight again , then the reaction would be there tomorrow not that there would be gluten for them to find exactly. So from what your saying It would make sense - i.e. if my body was going to react to gluten with antibodies then by eating gluten say tonight it would mean they would be in my system tomorrow. Now of course they could be in my system anyway from the gluten I ate a few days ago , but it would be more of a sure thing if id eaten it the day before I would have thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:


2 minutes ago, Boliviab said:

my thinking was that if I ate gluten tonight again , then the reaction would be there tomorrow not that there would be gluten for them to find exactly. So from what your saying It would make sense - i.e. if my body was going to react to gluten with antibodies then by eating gluten say tonight it would mean they would be in my system tomorrow. Now of course they could be in my system anyway from the gluten I ate a few days ago , but it would be more of a sure thing if id eaten it the day before I would have thought.

So the simple explanation is - You eat gluten.  It travels along and gets to your small intestine.  For some reason, your small intestine feels it is an invader.  but instead of making antibodies that "attack" the gluten, the small intestine cells make antibodies that attack itself.  Sort of misguided, but that's what happens.  Now these antibodies are in the small intestines .  It can take weeks to make enough of them in the small intestine for them to make it to the blood stream in big enough numbers to show up on a Celiac blood test. 

So, one meal of gluten, after a long period gluten-free, probably wouldn't effect the level of antibodies in the blood.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kareng said:

So the simple explanation is - You eat gluten.  It travels along and gets to your small intestine.  For some reason, your small intestine feels it is an invader.  but instead of making antibodies that "attack" the gluten, the small intestine cells make antibodies that attack itself.  Sort of misguided, but that's what happens.  Now these antibodies are in the small intestines .  It can take weeks to make enough of them in the small intestine for them to make it to the blood stream in big enough numbers to show up on a Celiac blood test. 

So, one meal of gluten, after a long period gluten-free, probably wouldn't effect the level of antibodies in the blood.  

ok so eating gluten tonight wouldnt really have an effect then but i wouldnt likely still have them in my system after just 2 days of gluten free anyway. Basically the sooner the better I have the test really to have best chances.

On a seperate note - i have just seen that I have developed a rash all over my upper body. I felt a bit itchy yesterday but this is a full on red rash all over my torso , arms  part of my back . Legs feel itchy also but arent as red.Could this be an effect of stopping gluten for just 2 days? and if so would that happen  regardless of me being celiac / gluten intolerant or not or could it be an indication of something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Boliviab said:

ok so eating gluten tonight wouldnt really have an effect then but i wouldnt likely still have them in my system after just 2 days of gluten free anyway. Basically the sooner the better I have the test really to have best chances.

On a seperate note - i have just seen that I have developed a rash all over my upper body. I felt a bit itchy yesterday but this is a full on red rash all over my torso , arms  part of my back . Legs feel itchy also but arent as red.Could this be an effect of stopping gluten for just 2 days? and if so would that happen  regardless of me being celiac / gluten intolerant or not or could it be an indication of something?

I don't see that stopping gluten would cause a rash for anyone.

 

You might want to look at this site 

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/

 

Edited by kareng

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Boliviab said:

eah , i might try go tomorrow if I can find out - i literally stopped 2 days ago so unikely to be out of my system and if im due to go for a test tomorrow I could maybe try eating something witha bit of gluten in tonight or something to "top up" as it were

If you only stopped 2 days ago no problem. Try and get a test arranged. 

if that can't happen, trial the diet and keep a journal tracking any response. I found that really helpful as some changes are subtle and gradual. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

DH (dermatitis herpetiformis) is an itchy rash caused by celiac disease.You should keep eating gluten until all celiac testing is completed.  Usually testing is a blood antibodies test first, followed by an endoscopy later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jmg said:

I was completely floored by the realisation after I went gluten free of just how badly it had been affecting me. Before then I had all these different things which I was either barely coping with, ignoring, trying to pretend they weren't there etc. I went gluten free and suddenly all sorts of different things started to resolve. It blew my mind!

Ditto, ditto, ditto!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Boliviab said:

ok so eating gluten tonight wouldnt really have an effect then but i wouldnt likely still have them in my system after just 2 days of gluten free anyway. Basically the sooner the better I have the test really to have best chances.

On a seperate note - i have just seen that I have developed a rash all over my upper body. I felt a bit itchy yesterday but this is a full on red rash all over my torso , arms  part of my back . Legs feel itchy also but arent as red.Could this be an effect of stopping gluten for just 2 days? and if so would that happen  regardless of me being celiac / gluten intolerant or not or could it be an indication of something?

BoliviaB,

DH rash can occur in Celiac's who reindtroduce wheat/gluten after a break from gluten.

However I want to go/see that the parasite route has also been exhausted.

The fever's (for most Celiac's anyway) are not typically but low grade inflammation is.

I had annual bronchitis issues and ear aches that went away after stopping gluten.

You did not say if your were a native Bolivian or not but if you are you  probably know about Chagas disease carried by the Kissing Bug.

A blood test will confirm that the Chagas parasite's were killed with your AB's round.

Though many AB's rounds can be as long as 2 months . . . not just two weeks for complete control.

I wonder if you have Chagas (possibly) and it is causing you colon problems.  GI problems can be a sign of advanced Chagas complications.

If you are having your blood drawn again it should be (re)checked.

In the US (since it is not endemic) as it is in Bolivia people typically find out if they have it (Chagas) by giving blood.

Chagas is considered a Neglected Tropical Disease (NTD) in the US but in Bolivia it should be ruled out as a possible cause of your fever(s) and GI problems.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/chagas/disease.html

quoting

"a dilated esophagus or colon, leading to difficulties with eating or passing stool" can be a sign of chagas.

if you hadn't mentioned parasites in your regimen I might not of mentioned it.  And in the UK if they didn't know your country of origin or your home country they might not of think to ask about it since it is a Neglected Tropical Disease and therefore had no reason to suspect Chagas to test your blood for it.

I was only aware of it because it has begun to show up in Texas and CNN run an article about it a couple of years ago.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/24/health/kissing-bugs-chagas-disease/index.html

 If you have an outdoor dog --- dog's can also contract Chagase disease from the bite of the Kissing Bug much like in the US dog's can get heart worm from a mosquito bite.

The CDC (the US health agency) says most people are assymptomatic but GI problems can be a severe sign of undiagnosed Chagas in about 30% of the population.

quoting again

"In people who have suppressed immune systems (for example, due to AIDS or chemotherapy), Chagas disease can reactivate with parasites found in the circulating blood. This occurrence can potentially cause severe disease." . . (NCGS and/or undiagnosed Celiac Disease (my words) could certaintly complicate someone's response to the Chagas parasite).

This might be higher in Bolivia. . . and probably is since Chagas is endemic to Bolivia.

The good news a blood test can help you find out if undidangosed Celiac or undiagnosed Chagas is causing your problems or if it is a complicated mix of the two.

**** this is not medical advice but it explains your fevers' better than Celiac (usuallY) but the rash defiantly could be a DH reaction to gluten.

I hope this is helpful.

2 Timothy 2:7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included.

posterboy by the grace of God,

ETA: Here is the FAQ link from the CDC on Blood Screening for Chagas disease in the US.

 https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/chagas/gen_info/screening.html

Again I hope this helpful.

 

 

Edited by Posterboy
To Add CDC's FAQs on Blood Screening for Chagas Disease in the US

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Boliviab said:

When I went gluten free those pains stopped. as did my chronic sciatic backache which Ive subsequently realised was probably due to inflamed tissues pressing on nerves."

Me too. I still get transient lower back pain occasionally when my bladder or colon is full. It goes away immediately on voiding.

Regardless of anything other diseases you may have, being wheat free gives you relief so even if not Celiac you are Non Celiac Wheat Sensitive. There are over 200 symptoms that are improved with GFD gluten free diet. Google it. It is an impressive list. In any case, while it is good to have a diagnosis, there is only one treatment, do not eat wheat and deal with the inevitable malnutrition damage.(think Biafra babies 1970.) Most will improve over time. Whatever doesn't improve should be investigated to be safe, but realize that recovery may take years.

Wheat flour used should be limited to Paper Mache sculpture and library paste.:P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wheatwacked said:

Wheat flour used should be limited to Paper Mache sculpture and library paste.

I would say no even then....it belongs in its own little corner in hell. We have had members get sick from cross contact touching and handling paper mache, playdough, and dry wall spackle containing wheat then touching their mouths, or food.....heck you can inhale the powder from the sanding spackle and have it get trapped in the mucus in you respiratory tract to run down your stomach and make you sick......has happened to a few on many occasions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
5 5

  • Who's Online   18 Members, 1 Anonymous, 967 Guests (See full list)

  • Top Posters +

  • Recent Articles

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/19/2018 - Could baking soda help reduce the inflammation and damage caused by autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, and celiac disease? Scientists at the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University say that a daily dose of baking soda may in fact help reduce inflammation and damage caused by autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, and celiac disease.
    Those scientists recently gathered some of the first evidence to show that cheap, over-the-counter antacids can prompt the spleen to promote an anti-inflammatory environment that could be helpful in combating inflammatory disease.
    A type of cell called mesothelial cells line our body cavities, like the digestive tract. They have little fingers, called microvilli, that sense the environment, and warn the organs they cover that there is an invader and an immune response is needed.
    The team’s data shows that when rats or healthy people drink a solution of baking soda, the stomach makes more acid, which causes mesothelial cells on the outside of the spleen to tell the spleen to go easy on the immune response.  "It's most likely a hamburger not a bacterial infection," is basically the message, says Dr. Paul O'Connor, renal physiologist in the MCG Department of Physiology at Augusta University and the study's corresponding author.
    That message, which is transmitted with help from a chemical messenger called acetylcholine, seems to encourage the gut to shift against inflammation, say the scientists.
    In patients who drank water with baking soda for two weeks, immune cells called macrophages, shifted from primarily those that promote inflammation, called M1, to those that reduce it, called M2. "The shift from inflammatory to an anti-inflammatory profile is happening everywhere," O'Connor says. "We saw it in the kidneys, we saw it in the spleen, now we see it in the peripheral blood."
    O'Connor hopes drinking baking soda can one day produce similar results for people with autoimmune disease. "You are not really turning anything off or on, you are just pushing it toward one side by giving an anti-inflammatory stimulus," he says, in this case, away from harmful inflammation. "It's potentially a really safe way to treat inflammatory disease."
    The research was funded by the National Institutes of Health.
    Read more at: Sciencedaily.com

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/18/2018 - Celiac disease has been mainly associated with Caucasian populations in Northern Europe, and their descendants in other countries, but new scientific evidence is beginning to challenge that view. Still, the exact global prevalence of celiac disease remains unknown.  To get better data on that issue, a team of researchers recently conducted a comprehensive review and meta-analysis to get a reasonably accurate estimate the global prevalence of celiac disease. 
    The research team included P Singh, A Arora, TA Strand, DA Leffler, C Catassi, PH Green, CP Kelly, V Ahuja, and GK Makharia. They are variously affiliated with the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts; Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi, India; Innlandet Hospital Trust, Lillehammer, Norway; Centre for International Health, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway; Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts; Gastroenterology Research and Development, Takeda Pharmaceuticals Inc, Cambridge, MA; Department of Pediatrics, Università Politecnica delle Marche, Ancona, Italy; Department of Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York; USA Celiac Disease Center, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York; and the Department of Gastroenterology and Human Nutrition, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India.
    For their review, the team searched Medline, PubMed, and EMBASE for the keywords ‘celiac disease,’ ‘celiac,’ ‘tissue transglutaminase antibody,’ ‘anti-endomysium antibody,’ ‘endomysial antibody,’ and ‘prevalence’ for studies published from January 1991 through March 2016. 
    The team cross-referenced each article with the words ‘Asia,’ ‘Europe,’ ‘Africa,’ ‘South America,’ ‘North America,’ and ‘Australia.’ They defined celiac diagnosis based on European Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition guidelines. The team used 96 articles of 3,843 articles in their final analysis.
    Overall global prevalence of celiac disease was 1.4% in 275,818 individuals, based on positive blood tests for anti-tissue transglutaminase and/or anti-endomysial antibodies. The pooled global prevalence of biopsy-confirmed celiac disease was 0.7% in 138,792 individuals. That means that numerous people with celiac disease potentially remain undiagnosed.
    Rates of celiac disease were 0.4% in South America, 0.5% in Africa and North America, 0.6% in Asia, and 0.8% in Europe and Oceania; the prevalence was 0.6% in female vs 0.4% males. Celiac disease was significantly more common in children than adults.
    This systematic review and meta-analysis showed celiac disease to be reported worldwide. Blood test data shows celiac disease rate of 1.4%, while biopsy data shows 0.7%. The prevalence of celiac disease varies with sex, age, and location. 
    This review demonstrates a need for more comprehensive population-based studies of celiac disease in numerous countries.  The 1.4% rate indicates that there are 91.2 million people worldwide with celiac disease, and 3.9 million are in the U.S.A.
    Source:
    Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018 Jun;16(6):823-836.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2017.06.037.

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/16/2018 - Summer is the time for chips and salsa. This fresh salsa recipe relies on cabbage, yes, cabbage, as a secret ingredient. The cabbage brings a delicious flavor and helps the salsa hold together nicely for scooping with your favorite chips. The result is a fresh, tasty salsa that goes great with guacamole.
    Ingredients:
    3 cups ripe fresh tomatoes, diced 1 cup shredded green cabbage ½ cup diced yellow onion ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro 1 jalapeno, seeded 1 Serrano pepper, seeded 2 tablespoons lemon juice 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar 2 garlic cloves, minced salt to taste black pepper, to taste Directions:
    Purée all ingredients together in a blender.
    Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. 
    Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, as desired. 
    Serve is a bowl with tortilla chips and guacamole.

    Dr. Ron Hoggan, Ed.D.
    Celiac.com 06/15/2018 - There seems to be widespread agreement in the published medical research reports that stuttering is driven by abnormalities in the brain. Sometimes these are the result of brain injuries resulting from a stroke. Other types of brain injuries can also result in stuttering. Patients with Parkinson’s disease who were treated with stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus, an area of the brain that regulates some motor functions, experienced a return or worsening of stuttering that improved when the stimulation was turned off (1). Similarly, stroke has also been reported in association with acquired stuttering (2). While there are some reports of psychological mechanisms underlying stuttering, a majority of reports seem to favor altered brain morphology and/or function as the root of stuttering (3). Reports of structural differences between the brain hemispheres that are absent in those who do not stutter are also common (4). About 5% of children stutter, beginning sometime around age 3, during the phase of speech acquisition. However, about 75% of these cases resolve without intervention, before reaching their teens (5). Some cases of aphasia, a loss of speech production or understanding, have been reported in association with damage or changes to one or more of the language centers of the brain (6). Stuttering may sometimes arise from changes or damage to these same language centers (7). Thus, many stutterers have abnormalities in the same regions of the brain similar to those seen in aphasia.
    So how, you may ask, is all this related to gluten? As a starting point, one report from the medical literature identifies a patient who developed aphasia after admission for severe diarrhea. By the time celiac disease was diagnosed, he had completely lost his faculty of speech. However, his speech and normal bowel function gradually returned after beginning a gluten free diet (8). This finding was so controversial at the time of publication (1988) that the authors chose to remain anonymous. Nonetheless, it is a valuable clue that suggests gluten as a factor in compromised speech production. At about the same time (late 1980’s) reports of connections between untreated celiac disease and seizures/epilepsy were emerging in the medical literature (9).
    With the advent of the Internet a whole new field of anecdotal information was emerging, connecting a variety of neurological symptoms to celiac disease. While many medical practitioners and researchers were casting aspersions on these assertions, a select few chose to explore such claims using scientific research designs and methods. While connections between stuttering and gluten consumption seem to have been overlooked by the medical research community, there is a rich literature on the Internet that cries out for more structured investigation of this connection. Conversely, perhaps a publication bias of the peer review process excludes work that explores this connection.
    Whatever the reason that stuttering has not been reported in the medical literature in association with gluten ingestion, a number of personal disclosures and comments suggesting a connection between gluten and stuttering can be found on the Internet. Abid Hussain, in an article about food allergy and stuttering said: “The most common food allergy prevalent in stutterers is that of gluten which has been found to aggravate the stutter” (10). Similarly, Craig Forsythe posted an article that includes five cases of self-reporting individuals who believe that their stuttering is or was connected to gluten, one of whom also experiences stuttering from foods containing yeast (11). The same site contains one report of a stutterer who has had no relief despite following a gluten free diet for 20 years (11). Another stutterer, Jay88, reports the complete disappearance of her/his stammer on a gluten free diet (12). Doubtless there are many more such anecdotes to be found on the Internet* but we have to question them, exercising more skepticism than we might when reading similar claims in a peer reviewed scientific or medical journal.
    There are many reports in such journals connecting brain and neurological ailments with gluten, so it is not much of a stretch, on that basis alone, to suspect that stuttering may be a symptom of the gluten syndrome. Rodney Ford has even characterized celiac disease as an ailment that may begin through gluten-induced neurological damage (13) and Marios Hadjivassiliou and his group of neurologists and neurological investigators have devoted considerable time and effort to research that reveals gluten as an important factor in a majority of neurological diseases of unknown origin (14) which, as I have pointed out previously, includes most neurological ailments.
    My own experience with stuttering is limited. I stuttered as a child when I became nervous, upset, or self-conscious. Although I have been gluten free for many years, I haven’t noticed any impact on my inclination to stutter when upset. I don’t know if they are related, but I have also had challenges with speaking when distressed and I have noticed a substantial improvement in this area since removing gluten from my diet. Nonetheless, I have long wondered if there is a connection between gluten consumption and stuttering. Having done the research for this article, I would now encourage stutterers to try a gluten free diet for six months to see if it will reduce or eliminate their stutter. Meanwhile, I hope that some investigator out there will research this matter, publish her findings, and start the ball rolling toward getting some definitive answers to this question.
    Sources:
    1. Toft M, Dietrichs E. Aggravated stuttering following subthalamic deep brain stimulation in Parkinson’s disease--two cases. BMC Neurol. 2011 Apr 8;11:44.
    2. Tani T, Sakai Y. Stuttering after right cerebellar infarction: a case study. J Fluency Disord. 2010 Jun;35(2):141-5. Epub 2010 Mar 15.
    3. Lundgren K, Helm-Estabrooks N, Klein R. Stuttering Following Acquired Brain Damage: A Review of the Literature. J Neurolinguistics. 2010 Sep 1;23(5):447-454.
    4. Jäncke L, Hänggi J, Steinmetz H. Morphological brain differences between adult stutterers and non-stutterers. BMC Neurol. 2004 Dec 10;4(1):23.
    5. Kell CA, Neumann K, von Kriegstein K, Posenenske C, von Gudenberg AW, Euler H, Giraud AL. How the brain repairs stuttering. Brain. 2009 Oct;132(Pt 10):2747-60. Epub 2009 Aug 26.
    6. Galantucci S, Tartaglia MC, Wilson SM, Henry ML, Filippi M, Agosta F, Dronkers NF, Henry RG, Ogar JM, Miller BL, Gorno-Tempini ML. White matter damage in primary progressive aphasias: a diffusion tensor tractography study. Brain. 2011 Jun 11.
    7. Lundgren K, Helm-Estabrooks N, Klein R. Stuttering Following Acquired Brain Damage: A Review of the Literature. J Neurolinguistics. 2010 Sep 1;23(5):447-454.
    8. [No authors listed] Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Weekly clinicopathological exercises. Case 43-1988. A 52-year-old man with persistent watery diarrhea and aphasia. N Engl J Med. 1988 Oct 27;319(17):1139-48
    9. Molteni N, Bardella MT, Baldassarri AR, Bianchi PA. Celiac disease associated with epilepsy and intracranial calcifications: report of two patients. Am J Gastroenterol. 1988 Sep;83(9):992-4.
    10. http://ezinearticles.com/?Food-Allergy-and-Stuttering-Link&id=1235725 
    11. http://www.craig.copperleife.com/health/stuttering_allergies.htm 
    12. https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/73362-any-help-is-appreciated/
    13. Ford RP. The gluten syndrome: a neurological disease. Med Hypotheses. 2009 Sep;73(3):438-40. Epub 2009 Apr 29.
    14. Hadjivassiliou M, Gibson A, Davies-Jones GA, Lobo AJ, Stephenson TJ, Milford-Ward A. Does cryptic gluten sensitivity play a part in neurological illness? Lancet. 1996 Feb 10;347(8998):369-71.

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/14/2018 - Refractory celiac disease type II (RCDII) is a rare complication of celiac disease that has high death rates. To diagnose RCDII, doctors identify a clonal population of phenotypically aberrant intraepithelial lymphocytes (IELs). 
    However, researchers really don’t have much data regarding the frequency and significance of clonal T cell receptor (TCR) gene rearrangements (TCR-GRs) in small bowel (SB) biopsies of patients without RCDII. Such data could provide useful comparison information for patients with RCDII, among other things.
    To that end, a research team recently set out to try to get some information about the frequency and importance of clonal T cell receptor (TCR) gene rearrangements (TCR-GRs) in small bowel (SB) biopsies of patients without RCDII. The research team included Shafinaz Hussein, Tatyana Gindin, Stephen M Lagana, Carolina Arguelles-Grande, Suneeta Krishnareddy, Bachir Alobeid, Suzanne K Lewis, Mahesh M Mansukhani, Peter H R Green, and Govind Bhagat.
    They are variously affiliated with the Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, and the Department of Medicine at the Celiac Disease Center, New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, New York, USA. Their team analyzed results of TCR-GR analyses performed on SB biopsies at our institution over a 3-year period, which were obtained from eight active celiac disease, 172 celiac disease on gluten-free diet, 33 RCDI, and three RCDII patients and 14 patients without celiac disease. 
    Clonal TCR-GRs are not infrequent in cases lacking features of RCDII, while PCPs are frequent in all disease phases. TCR-GR results should be assessed in conjunction with immunophenotypic, histological and clinical findings for appropriate diagnosis and classification of RCD.
    The team divided the TCR-GR patterns into clonal, polyclonal and prominent clonal peaks (PCPs), and correlated these patterns with clinical and pathological features. In all, they detected clonal TCR-GR products in biopsies from 67% of patients with RCDII, 17% of patients with RCDI and 6% of patients with gluten-free diet. They found PCPs in all disease phases, but saw no significant difference in the TCR-GR patterns between the non-RCDII disease categories (p=0.39). 
    They also noted a higher frequency of surface CD3(−) IELs in cases with clonal TCR-GR, but the PCP pattern showed no associations with any clinical or pathological feature. 
    Repeat biopsy showed that the clonal or PCP pattern persisted for up to 2 years with no evidence of RCDII. The study indicates that better understanding of clonal T cell receptor gene rearrangements may help researchers improve refractory celiac diagnosis. 
    Source:
    Journal of Clinical Pathologyhttp://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jclinpath-2018-205023

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      110,244
    • Total Posts
      949,709
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      77,440
    • Most Online
      3,093

    Newest Member
    Jessica08
    Joined
  • Popular Now

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Thanks for the kind thoughts. The test results I got back a few comments ago and I said what they were which was negative on everything. I just don't think it's celiac but something that created this domino affect. I plan on going to my regular doctor because honestly I feel the GI one was useless. When I told her back in Feb that I wasn't sure I'd be able to have the colostomy and endo she said "well then we won't be able to help you". 😕 The peanut butter I bought was organic . I had looked at the Aldi brand which I never had any issues with and it had soy so that's why I looked for a brand that didn't have any soy. I haven't had chocolate since February either due to the soy. I hadn't eaten anything but fresh fruit, vegetables, Chicken or fish since mid Feb. I did have some dried fruit which I seemed ok with but now the last two days I've gotten gas from that :(. I did have prunes awhile back and they also gave me gas which never happened before. I rarely eat prunes as it as always done the opposite of what it commonly is used for .
    • Sounds like the blood test is useless in your case.  Some times people have elevated antibodies for a few months after gluten-free.   The tests have a range for normal because it is normal to have  those numbers.  Two months from now, they may be slightly different.  There are other things that can cause low levels on these tests.  
    • Thank you for your help! Now I am beginning to understand more about this disease.  
    • Becca4130, Cyclinglady is right.  Most have those genotypes but they have found other gene types that doesn't always fit that mold. I haven't always known this (and I am not good at gene tests) I having only been diagnosed on blood serology alone. This verywell article explains it well. https://www.verywellhealth.com/hla-dq8-one-of-the-main-celiac-disease-genes-562571 depending on your ethnicity you might not type out well depending on where your ancestors are from. see their (verywell) paragraph about DQ8 variability by regions of the world. Be your own advocate your nutritionist is right to be cautious. see also this research about variations in genotyping can cause certain world/countries population to fail to show a positive gene typing depending on the region DQ2/DQ8 prevalence in the population mainly in Japan according to verywell. But it has shown up in people of Brazilian (assumingly) Portuguese ancestors as well (different gene typing). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21484038 In their conclusion they noted in a subset of brazilians at least the wrong Regional gene typing test (American or European) might effect someone's test's causing a negative gene typing test. quoting CONCLUSIONS: "In this study, celiac disease was associated with the genotypes DQ2 and DQ8. DQ2 predominated, but the distribution of the frequencies was different from what has been found in European populations and was closer to what has been found in the Americas. The high frequencies of the HLA genotypes DQ2 and DQ8 that were found in first-degree relatives would make it difficult to use these HLA genotypes for routine diagnosis of celiac disease in this group." Assuming you don't have any of this mitigating factors then it is uncommon to be diagnosed as celiac disease without these gene types. You might only be able to get the more vague NCGS diagnosis.  But do a month food allergy elimination diet then when you re-introduce you will know if gluten is the culprit. You won't have to get  a doctor's confirmation of what your body already knows. Here is one more research article but a little older so there is probably newer research that might replace it. that might answer your question entitled "HLA-DQ typing in the diagnosis of celiac disease" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11922565 I hope this is helpful. ******This is not medical advice. 2 Timothy 2: 7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included. Posterboy by the Grace of God,  
    • I would put my money on a latex allergy or intolerance.  You can not even bring latex balloons into the hospital anymore, just the Mylar ones.  Did you call to confirm the “gel”.  It makes not mention of a gel on the Amazon or Costco website.  
  • Blog Entries

  • Upcoming Events