Marian mcdermott

Marian mcdermott

Rate this topic

My 8 yr old granddaughter was just diagnosed sunday as type 1 diabetic n about 4 days later was dignosed with CELIAC... My daughter n i do NOT knw where to turn to get extened help for her..its hard trying to get the proper food she needs...we being told there is NO extra food stamps that she can get to her with the proper foods...ANY SUGGESTIONS AND /HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED...

37 minutes ago, Marian mcdermott said:

My 8 yr old granddaughter was just diagnosed sunday as type 1 diabetic n about 4 days later was dignosed with CELIAC... My daughter n i do NOT knw where to turn to get extened help for her..its hard trying to get the proper food she needs...we being told there is NO extra food stamps that she can get to her with the proper foods...ANY SUGGESTIONS AND /HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED...

Just feed her plain unprocessed foods.  Cookies , pizza and chicken nuggets aren't that good for her.  Try meats, fruits, veggies, etc.  A dietitian might be helpful as you are also dealing with diabetes. 

Here Are two lists of gluten free foods:

https://celiac.org/live-gluten-free/glutenfreediet/food-options/

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/treatment/

Eating gluten free need not be expensive if you avoid gluten free processed foods.  Read our Newbie 101 thread located at the top of our “Coping” section of the forum for some valuable tips.  Go to the library to get books about celiac disease and Type 1 diabetes or read celiac websites from celiac non-profits or celiac centers like the University of Chicago.  Consider testing other family members as celiac disease runs in families.  

Do not worry, before you know it, your family will be used to dealing with TD1 and celiac disease.  Your granddaughter will feel much better soon.  

Whole foods are simple...I know with blood sugar issues that the cheap stuff like rice, poatoes, fruits all have to be eating in moderation. Try going with low glycemic stews and homemade soups in crock pots, you can use disposable liners to prevent contamination if you can not afford a new crockpot. Try going with stuff like omelettes, scrambles, baked chicken (again you can cook it in a foil lined dish so you do not need to get new cook ware), gluten free labeled turkey bacon and bacon, steamed veggies (get what ever you can get on sale) I go with canned spinach in omelettes often as it is cheap, If you can not afford all new pans etc. that you need to keep her from getting sick with gluten contaminated cook ware I suggest Nordicware microwave cookware, cheap and you can get hte steamers, grill plates, omelette makers that way.
Helpful links for learning the ropes and finding some brands of safe foods. PS as a diabetic she is going to want to stay away from gluten free processed foods for the most art as most are loaded with starches, sugars, carbs, whole foods lower carb options......they do make low carb, gluten free breads, baked goods etc....I run a bakery and do these myself but they are insane in prices, so whole food again.
https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/
https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/120402-gluten-free-food-alternative-list-2018-q1/