cristiana

motivation - lack of

Rate this topic

Most of the people I know who have been diagnosed and follow a gluten free diet have never looked back.

However, for me, since diagnosis, it has been one thing after another. 

The thing is, I realised today one of the biggest things that has changed in the past few years is that I have become so unmotivated.  I have recently been diagnosed with costochondritis, and the burning, stinging pain makes me feel I can't be bothered.  I am borderline anemic but am in the strange situation that I cannot supplement much as I risk getting polycythemia.   I don't have thyroid problems.

Meanwhile, tasks are stacking up around me, things need doing, but I find I do the minimum all the time.  I look at people twenty years my senior in awe and wonder how they achieve so much.

Is there anyone reading this that feels this way?

Has anyone found a way to get motivated again?

Various aspects....yes. I try to set goals and find ways to make myself feel useful. Tell myself I am needed for this, needed for that, look over who benefits from my knowledge and info. Try to do work around the the house "nesting?" after doing something I always feel good about it and try to recall that feeling. Music that makes me feel like a warrior or sympathizes with upbeat notions helps......all else fails I look at funeral cost and consider how bad it would hurt my family if I passed and the cost would put so much burden on my loved ones.

Reinventing old recipes and flavors is always fun, and looking forward to healing a bit more or enjoying something....I look at food holidays and then research a gluten-free/low carb version and pull out flavors/extracts to have fun with that one day.

Weren’t your antibodies up in November?  I would say you are still suffering from an active celiac flare.  It will take time to recover.  Listen to your body and rest.  

You will feel better soon!  

Thank you so much for your replies.

Ennis - I took your advice and played some of my favourite music from years back (I have odd taste - I love music from the 30s and 40s) and I have to say that Fred Astaire, etc,  helped - so thank you for that!  I haven't played it in ages - perhaps it took me back to the time I wasn't feeling ill, so it was a bit like time travel!  

I found some research on the effects of chronic pain and it does demotivate people.  I think perhaps I have got quite depressed about it, RMJ.  I need to tackle that.

I've had months of gastric discomfort and the costochondritis makes me think that I really must be about to have a heart attack or have something else that is seriously wrong that they haven't found yet.  I am not sure it is the pain itself at times, it is the not knowing.  Maybe my latest celiac flare is responsible.

CL - you are right, I shall listen to my body and rest.  I'm having an endoscopy soon and I shall be interested to see if the elevated ttg has caused a huge amount of damage, or whether it might be something else going on.