Bedfordjennifer

Gluten sensitivity and shortness of breath

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed as having an upper respiratory infection in  summer of 2016 which I was given many different meds, (prednisone, nebs, inhalers, anxiety meds, antibiotics, etc) and my shortness of breath never got better. I would try to work and exertion would make it worse. Went to PCP, urgent care and ER a few times, then admitted to hospital.   Of all the tests they ran everything was fine. I finally went to an endocrinologist, (at the end of my rope) and he was able to diagnose a gluten sensitivity. Took me off all meds and now I feel great except when I accidentally eat gluten then I will feel short of breath a day later. Last year I had a cold and for about a week was very short of breath and unable to work. (Im a L and D nurse). Currently I am getting over a sinuous type headache from 2 weekends ago and last Tuesday I was feeling very short of breath. I’ve been to PCP multiple times and still short of breath despite the meds. All labs are normal and X-ray and CT scans are normal. I feel best when I wake in the morning until I start to do simple tasks. I can sleep fine and lay flat without problems. Anyone else have any ideas or experience this before? I just want to feel better, not helpless and able to function normally. 

7 minutes ago, Bedfordjennifer said:

Anyone else have any ideas or experience this before? I just want to feel better, not helpless and able to function normally. 

Hi Jennifer,

One idea, have you tried excluding dairy? I've found that dairy is causing my asthma, blocked sinuses etc. Since the New Year I've completely excluded it, including small amounts in processed gluten free foods and I'm feeling heaps better. Breathing improved, mental sharpness etc.  There does appear to be a link between gluten sensitivity and dairy issues: https://www.glutenfreesociety.org/is-dairy-sabotaging-your-gluten-free-healing/

Aside from that, could you be getting glutened somewhere, somehow? 

Matt