Jump to content
  • Sign Up
CeliacDaniel

Question about possible Celiac diagnosis

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

So September of 2017 I got some blood test results back from the VA (Veteran's Affairs) my allergy tests came back from a blood draw:

CLAM IgE [QST]         < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
CODFISH  IgE [QST]     < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
COW'S MILK IgE [QST]     < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
CRAB IgE [QST]         < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
EGG WHITE IgE [QST]     < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
GLUTEN IgE [QST]     < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
LOBSTER IgE [QST]     < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
MAIZE/CORN IgE [QST]     < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
PEANUT IgE [QST]     < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
SHRIMP IgE [QST]     < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
SOYBEAN IgE [QST]     < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
WALNUT IgE [QST]     < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final

HONEYBEE [SPL]    0.38 HIGH    kU/L        (><.35)     Final
HORNET, WHITE FACE [SPL]    <0.10    kU/L    (><.35)     Final
YELLOW JACKET [SPL]        <0.10    kU/L    (><.35)     Final
PAPER WASP [SPL]        <0.10    kU/L    (><.35)     Final
YELLOW HORNET [SPL]        <0.10    kU/L    (><.35)     Final

and the most important were:

HONEYBEE [SPL]    0.38 HIGH    kU/L        (><.35) 


WHEAT IMMUNOGLOBULIN E Wheat IgE (Gluten IgE was normal the reading was 0.10)
measurement: kU/L
ref range: <0.10

result 0.12 (weak positive)

Detection of IgE antibodies in serum (Class 1 or greater) indicates an increased likelihood of allergic disease as opposed to other etiologies and defines the allergens that may be responsible for eliciting signs and symptoms.


GLIADIN ANTIBODIES (Ab=Antibodies)
measurement: U
ref range: 20.0-30.0 U

result: 25 (weak positive)

Positive test results for deamidated gliadin antibodies, IgA or IgG, are consistent with the diagnosis of celiac disease.

QUANTITATIVE IMMUNOGLOBULIN A (QIG-IgA)
measurement: mg/dL
ref range: 61-356 mg/dL 

result: 558 (High)

IgG, IgM, IgD normal

The VA doctors are convinced I don't have Celiac Disease, but they are going to run a Tissue Transglutaminase Antibodies (tTG-IgA) and say it's option if I want a biopsy (which I fear because of possible complications.

Also my VITAMIN D total is 33.2 and the Reference Range is 30-140 according to the VA mine Abnormal - Insufficiency 20-39 ng/mL

My other Vitamin panel came back as:

VITAMIN B12 TOTAL     404    pg/mL     (200-1100)     
SERUM, FOLATE        22.6    ng/ml    (3.4-5.4)     

I have been taking the following supplements:

Celiact 
https://celiact.com/products/celiact-multi-support-plus-enzymes

NKO (Neptune's Krill Oil)
500 mg

Vitamin D3
2000 IU every other day

I was taking the supplements since November 2011, then on Jan 7th I got the flu and was not taking the supplements, I went into the ER (emergency room) and I got a bloow draw, and a swab and they found out I had the flu virus A, H3N2 version and I got a low grade fever. I was given 2 tylenol for the fever and my blood tests were normal.

On 1/30/2018 I went back to the ER because of extreme diahrrea and my blood results changed and very specific blood results and changes happened:

Jan 7th 
Monocytes: 0.5

Jan 30th 
Monocyets: 0.9 (HIGH)

Jan 7th

AST: 34
ALT: 24

Jan 30th

AST: 34
ALT: 80 (HIGH)

Jan 7th

Urine PH: 6.0

Jan 30th

Urine PH: 8.0 (HIGH)

everything else is in range and normal values

For the last 6 months I have worked out, I run 2 miles and do crunches, push ups, sit up, pull ups, and in 6 months I have lost 1 lb. I am 5 foot 5 inches and 203 lbs, and now I am 5 foot 5 inches and 202 lbs, I am very frustrated with this.

My diet consists mainly of salmon, lightly salted with pepper, sage, and steamed vegetables and water, in the morning I have a Bananna, Eggs, and water, and at night I eat almonds (wheat and gluten free). I have even quit drinking alcohol, and really work out.

One thing that happens if I do crunches or sit ups I get diahrrea. Also I cannot lay on my back as I will get light headed and my BP will drop and my heart rate will go from 60 BPM to 82 BPM.

I have no clue what has been going on with my body and I feel really frustrated over it. Has anyone experienced these symptoms? Why the sudden spike in liver enzymes? Also, one doctor said I should take immunosuppressants but it would be dangerous, has anyone tried taking immunosuppressants? Does it work? 

Also, I had a deep cleaning on my teeth and it seems I am now back to waking up with brown saliva, and when I spit it out after a while it clears up.

I have cut out gluten and am taking the proper supplements (my doctor approves), but now even more so if I eat vegetables I get a lot of diahrrea, with no weight loss. 

Very frustrating, can anyone offer some insight? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CeliacDaniel said:

So September of 2017 I got some blood test results back from the VA (Veteran's Affairs) my allergy tests came back from a blood draw:

CLAM IgE [QST]         < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
CODFISH  IgE [QST]     < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
COW'S MILK IgE [QST]     < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
CRAB IgE [QST]         < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
EGG WHITE IgE [QST]     < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
GLUTEN IgE [QST]     < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
LOBSTER IgE [QST]     < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
MAIZE/CORN IgE [QST]     < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
PEANUT IgE [QST]     < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
SHRIMP IgE [QST]     < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
SOYBEAN IgE [QST]     < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final
WALNUT IgE [QST]     < 0.10    kU/L    (>< 0.10)    Final

HONEYBEE [SPL]    0.38 HIGH    kU/L        (><.35)     Final
HORNET, WHITE FACE [SPL]    <0.10    kU/L    (><.35)     Final
YELLOW JACKET [SPL]        <0.10    kU/L    (><.35)     Final
PAPER WASP [SPL]        <0.10    kU/L    (><.35)     Final
YELLOW HORNET [SPL]        <0.10    kU/L    (><.35)     Final

and the most important were:

HONEYBEE [SPL]    0.38 HIGH    kU/L        (><.35) 


WHEAT IMMUNOGLOBULIN E Wheat IgE (Gluten IgE was normal the reading was 0.10)
measurement: kU/L
ref range: <0.10

result 0.12 (weak positive)

Detection of IgE antibodies in serum (Class 1 or greater) indicates an increased likelihood of allergic disease as opposed to other etiologies and defines the allergens that may be responsible for eliciting signs and symptoms.


GLIADIN ANTIBODIES (Ab=Antibodies)
measurement: U
ref range: 20.0-30.0 U

result: 25 (weak positive)

Positive test results for deamidated gliadin antibodies, IgA or IgG, are consistent with the diagnosis of celiac disease.

QUANTITATIVE IMMUNOGLOBULIN A (QIG-IgA)
measurement: mg/dL
ref range: 61-356 mg/dL 

result: 558 (High)

IgG, IgM, IgD normal

The VA doctors are convinced I don't have Celiac Disease, but they are going to run a Tissue Transglutaminase Antibodies (tTG-IgA) and say it's option if I want a biopsy (which I fear because of possible complications.

Also my VITAMIN D total is 33.2 and the Reference Range is 30-140 according to the VA mine Abnormal - Insufficiency 20-39 ng/mL

My other Vitamin panel came back as:

VITAMIN B12 TOTAL     404    pg/mL     (200-1100)     
SERUM, FOLATE        22.6    ng/ml    (3.4-5.4)     

I have been taking the following supplements:

Celiact 
https://celiact.com/products/celiact-multi-support-plus-enzymes

NKO (Neptune's Krill Oil)
500 mg

Vitamin D3
2000 IU every other day

I was taking the supplements since November 2011, then on Jan 7th I got the flu and was not taking the supplements, I went into the ER (emergency room) and I got a bloow draw, and a swab and they found out I had the flu virus A, H3N2 version and I got a low grade fever. I was given 2 tylenol for the fever and my blood tests were normal.

On 1/30/2018 I went back to the ER because of extreme diahrrea and my blood results changed and very specific blood results and changes happened:

Jan 7th 
Monocytes: 0.5

Jan 30th 
Monocyets: 0.9 (HIGH)

Jan 7th

AST: 34
ALT: 24

Jan 30th

AST: 34
ALT: 80 (HIGH)

Jan 7th

Urine PH: 6.0

Jan 30th

Urine PH: 8.0 (HIGH)

everything else is in range and normal values

For the last 6 months I have worked out, I run 2 miles and do crunches, push ups, sit up, pull ups, and in 6 months I have lost 1 lb. I am 5 foot 5 inches and 203 lbs, and now I am 5 foot 5 inches and 202 lbs, I am very frustrated with this.

My diet consists mainly of salmon, lightly salted with pepper, sage, and steamed vegetables and water, in the morning I have a Bananna, Eggs, and water, and at night I eat almonds (wheat and gluten free). I have even quit drinking alcohol, and really work out.

One thing that happens if I do crunches or sit ups I get diahrrea. Also I cannot lay on my back as I will get light headed and my BP will drop and my heart rate will go from 60 BPM to 82 BPM.

I have no clue what has been going on with my body and I feel really frustrated over it. Has anyone experienced these symptoms? Why the sudden spike in liver enzymes? Also, one doctor said I should take immunosuppressants but it would be dangerous, has anyone tried taking immunosuppressants? Does it work? 

Also, I had a deep cleaning on my teeth and it seems I am now back to waking up with brown saliva, and when I spit it out after a while it clears up.

I have cut out gluten and am taking the proper supplements (my doctor approves), but now even more so if I eat vegetables I get a lot of diahrrea, with no weight loss. 

Very frustrating, can anyone offer some insight? 

I can not speak about the allergy tests, but you can have both a wheat allergy and have celiac disease.  That said, it sounds like you have not been consuming gluten daily and that could explain your “weak positive” DGP.  The IgA test just checks you for a deficiency and is used as a control test in the case of celiac disease.  Your result is high, like mine.  It can also indicate autoimmune issues.  No sense getting the TTG test unless you are back in a full gluten diet (1 to 2 slices of bread daily) for 8 to 12 weeks (2 to 4 weeks for the endoscopy).  An endoscopy is still considered the Gold Standard in diagnosing celiac disease.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

Celiac disease can impact your liver, but your recent bout with the flu might affect it as well:

https://www.beyondceliac.org/celiac-disease/related-conditions/liver-disease/

As far as your weight, I am not expert, but it sounds like you are starving yourself.  Consider adding  in some fats.  A low carb, high fat might work for you,  but like many diets, everyone is different and reacts differently.  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

I ate two eggs, smothered in butter, non fat plain yogurt spiked with heavy cream and coffee with cream for breakfast.  For Lunch a salad (plenty of olive oil) and chicken wings.  Had some cheese.  Ate grilled chicken, butter green beans, an artichoke with mayo, and sautéed spinach with bacon for dinner.    I do have diabetes as well and now my HA1c is in the normal range because of this diet (gluten free of course).  

I am in pretty good shape and always have been, but I can tell you that diet is key to weight loss and not exercise.  The only time I lose weight faster than I can inhale food is while training for a triathlon or a century bike ride.  Exercise is great for your health, but not really for weight loss.  

So, you need to be sure you are on  a gluten diet if you want to pursue a celiac diagnosis.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does Celiac Disease affect the liver? If I stay away from gluten and or wheat could it then not affect the liver?

I try and stay away from sugar, but do eat fats. My recent bout with the flu and the liver issue, I am eating a lot of banana's right now. 

What possible other autoimmune issues with high QIG-IGA? And is my QIG-IGA that high?

Also, have you heard of http://immunogenx.com/ they are working on a drug for Celiac Disease. 

Also, it seems you are saying I am not eating gluten, which I agree with you. Does this mean my Celiac Disease is being controlled? I am afraid of liver problems for sure.

Edited by CeliacDaniel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, CeliacDaniel said:

How does Celiac Disease affect the liver? If I stay away from gluten and or wheat could it then not affect the liver?

I try and stay away from sugar, but do eat fats. My recent bout with the flu and the liver issue, I am eating a lot of banana's right now. 

What possible other autoimmune issues with high QIG-IGA? And is my QIG-IGA that high?

Also, have you heard of http://immunogenx.com/ they are working on a drug for Celiac Disease. 

Also, it seems you are saying I am not eating gluten, which I agree with you. Does this mean my Celiac Disease is being controlled? I am afraid of liver problems for sure.

I think you should discuss most of these questions with your doctor.  At Celiac.com, we are a community of members who can only offer our own experiences with dealing with celiac disease and tips about maintaining a gluten free  diet.  We can not diagnosis you on the internet.  In order to get a definitive celiac disease diagnosis, you would need an endoscopy.  It sounds like you are against this procedure.  I can not tell you if you have celiac disease, if it is controlled, if you have any other autoimmune issues, or if you have any liver problems.  Only a doctor can tell you that.  

I have heard of ImmunogenX.  This potential medication is a long way from being released to the public.  The only means of treating celiac disease is to adhere to a gluten free diet and any pharmaceutical solution is a LONG way off.   How do I know for sure?  I recently attended a lecture on celiac disease given by Dr.  Sheila Crowe, the 2017 President of the American GI Association.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

I think you should discuss most of these questions with your doctor.  At Celiac.com, we are a community of members who can only offer our own experiences with dealing with celiac disease and tips about maintaining a gluten free  diet.  We can not diagnosis you on the internet.  In order to get a definitive celiac disease diagnosis, you would need an endoscopy.  It sounds like you are against this procedure.  I can not tell you if you have celiac disease, if it is controlled, if you have any other autoimmune issues, or if you have any liver problems.  Only a doctor can tell you that.  

I have heard of ImmunogenX.  This potential medication is a long way from being released to the public.  The only means of treating celiac disease is to adhere to a gluten free diet and any pharmaceutical solution is a LONG way off.   How do I know for sure?  I recently attended a lecture on celiac disease given by Dr.  Sheila Crowe, the 2017 President of the American GI Association.  

I see, well at least I am not eating gluten to the best of my abilities. Yeah I know you can't diagnose me, but I did find an interesting article from NIH about CS and Liver problems, the site is https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3941070/ 

Yes from what you said my QIG-IGA is high and so is yours, have you tried Immunosuppressants? 

Yes, and also careful from what I've read some vegetables can cause similar symptoms. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CeliacDaniel said:

I see, well at least I am not eating gluten to the best of my abilities. Yeah I know you can't diagnose me, but I did find an interesting article from NIH about CS and Liver problems, the site is https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3941070/ 

Yes from what you said my QIG-IGA is high and so is yours, have you tried Immunosuppressants? 

Yes, and also careful from what I've read some vegetables can cause similar symptoms. 

 

Why would I take immunosuppressants?  I never had an organ transplant and I do not have an autoimmune disorder that recommends taking them.  I would strongly recommend getting a second opinion if you have had a recommendation from a medical doctor to take an immunosuppressant when you do not have a diagnosis of anything that may require it.  There are risks and benefits to ANY drug. 

You are right.  There is a correlation between celiac disease and liver issues.  

“Celiac Disease is a multi-system disorder that may affect several organs. Liver abnormalities are common extraintestinal manifestations of celiac disease. Isolated hypertransaminasemia, with mild or nonspecific histologic changes in the liver biopsy, also known as “celiac hepatitis”, is the most frequent presentation of liver injury in celiac disease. Both, histologic changes and liver enzymes reverse to normal after treatment with a gluten-free diet in most patients. Celiac disease may also be associated with severe forms of liver disease and/or coexist with other chronic liver disorders (i.e., autoimmune liver diseases). The mechanisms underlying liver injury in celiac disease are poorly understood.”

Just because you have had one set of elevated liver tests, does not mean you have celiac disease.   I explained before that even the flu you had can affect your liver test results.  Your IgA is high.  It can be high for many reasons.  So what?  It is not as high as mine and I am not concerned.  But I have done my research, talked to my doctors and I am happy.  

If you are unhappy with the VA, consider getting tested for celiac disease outside of the VA.  Please do not try to diagnose yourself.  It can be very dangerous.  You can go gluten free.  That is your choice.  It is not harmful if you eat a varied diet rich in nutrients.  And see if your symptoms improve.  

I wish you well! 

Edited by cyclinglady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to ask my doctor to test me for other possible autoimmune disorders, but I understand that most is just a marker and not an actual disease. 

So I won't worry about the QIG-IGA, it sounds a little elevated. But that is about it.

Yeah if you can think of anything else let me know. I take multivitamin called Celiact, which seems to be working wonders. Then again marketing can be effectual. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...