Ennis_TX

Ulcerative Colitis Treatments

Rate this topic

Thought I would go over what I have been on and done to treat my UC and see if it benefits anyone else. I was diagnosed almost exactly a year ago in February 2017. UC in different people has different flare triggers seemingly most common are Gluten, Diary, Soy. Some cases are Caffeine, Coffee, chocolate, Glucose, Fructose, Sucralose, Carbs. For me the 3 top ones, with sugars and carbs, and certain spices...coffee, caffeine, and chocolate seem fine....SUGAR was the worst causing not just bloody stools but moderate amounts of fruits or added sugars would cause distention. Before diagnosis I thought for years I had bad gut bacteria due to the swelling, gas, and bloody stools.

I was originally put on  Delzicol for it, but after losing my insurance and the prescriptions costing $680 I had to give it up. I turned to dropping all grains, sugars, starchy veggies, and using Marshmallow Powder (1tsp) twice a day. Recently after getting sick with a cold I started Thayers Slippery Elm Lozenges to deal with the sore throat and found that having 3-4 of them a day worked wonders with my UC....was more apparent when I tried getting off them and had a rebound flare that was really bad til I started them back up. And I drink 8oz of Aloe Vera Inner Fillet in a tea twice daily.

SO 300-600mg of Thayers Slippery elm dosed out thought the day
1 tsp marshmallow root powder or 3 capsules from Natures Way twice a day
8oz Aloe Vera Inner Fillet twice a day
with diet has kept it under control almost as good as the RX stuff I was on.....well the RX allowed me to have Mexican spices without flares which...now will flare me if I do not watch it.....I had to give up salsa. (Grew up in a mexican family....so this hit home)

Love to see how others manage it and what others might have as triggers for their flares and the symptoms

Changed

Slipper elm to Nature Way Slipper Elm 3 capsules 2x daily
Same Nature Way Marshmallow Root 3 capsules 2x a day
I dump the capsules out and mix the powder up into tea and down it

Also still take the aloe vera inner fillet 8oz twice a day.
https://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-marshmallow.html
https://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-slippery-elm.html
https://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-aloe-vera.html