Rate this topic

Ok so i myself have celiac and have tried a few gluten-free breads. I just deal with not having bread. Well my 9 year old daughter has been put on a gluten-free diet and i was wanting suggestions on which gluten-free bread tastes the best or which does your kid prefer? She feels like there is nothing good for her to take for lunch. 

I’d all but given up on any gluten-free bread until I found Canyon Bakehouse. The others crumble and melt (for lack of a better word) anytime the meat or toppings touch them. I can still have half my already dressed burger left, and it is fine 1-2 days later. 

Edited by Lissyaz

No kids here but my hubby loves Udi's Whole Grain. It's one (which is truly rare) that you don't even have to toast first. I said no kids here but my hubby might as well be one for as picky as he is about foods. 

I had to find something grain free, corn free, and xantham gum free and went with Julian Bakery breads you order online. I reverse engineered their recipe and make my own coconut flour based one in my bakery now that is more flexible. Their seed one.....is still something I order for a treat since I have not been able to recreate it. AMAZING.
I have a list with some bread products on it also
https://julianbakery.com/shop/?fwp_product_categories=bread
*^Grain Free Corn free low carb bread, The seed bread toast just like gluten breads, The almond and coconut each have their own niche. Bread is best used toasted, PS the coconut bread makes awesome french toast

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/120402-gluten-free-food-alternative-list-2018-q1/

Consider not packing her a sandwich for lunch.  It takes time to forget what wheat bread tastes like.  I send my kid off to school with a thermos filled with leftovers (chili, soup, tamales, etc.).  

Canyon Bakehouse is the only major retail bread I truly like. And I liked it back in the beginning. They have mountain white, rye (fake of course), multigrain, bagels (fabulous). I've also tried Udis, Bfree, glutino.

Schar makes a baguette that works for sandwiches.

I like Udi's Rye style bread or Omega flax and fiber because I can get them locally. The best I've tasted is Katz Challah bread. It has a normal taste and texture but it's harder to find in my town.  Katz does mail order but it's better if you can sell a local store on carrying it.

Some of the gluten-free breads seem to bother me and it seems to be because they have ingredients like brown rice and such.  Apparently I am okay with white rice and white rice flour, but brown rice and rice bran bother me a lot. But I have been eating pita bread and rolls from a brand called Against the Grain. They use ingredients like white rice flour and tapioca starch.  The pitas are weird in that I can't seem to open them up, so I just cut them in half or quarters and make sandwiches out of them. Sometimes I even toast them in a fry pan first or you can make a grilled cheese in them. I like making egg and cheese sandwiches, and such too.  And I use them to make thin crust pizzas.  And the rolls are a bit weird too in that they have cheese in them and a different texture, but are tasty.  I made an open face meatball grinder on those which was really good, or do an open face cheese burger in them, etc.   I find them in the freezer section of my local grocery store (which happens to be Market Basket). They are in with the other frozen gluten-free products. 

I also use rice cakes to make open face sandwiches, but when I was a kid my mother used to make me  peanut butter and jelly in between two rice cakes and I even brought them to school at times.

Then there is that cloud bread recipe which is pretty good. I like BLT's on those. but you could use gluten-free cold cuts or pb&j, etc.