Julie1

GIVE ME SUGAR!

Rate this topic

It has been 2 weeks without gluten.  I feel like my digestive system is happy.  BUT I am having crazy sugar cravings!  I know it isn't healthy and I assume it is because I am not eating as many carbohydrates (simple sugars right?).  I eat fruit for breakfast every morning and a balanced lunch and dinner... but what I really want is chocolate, cookies, and SUGAR!!!!  What do I do?  Will it last?  Is there a supplement I should be taking?  I know a lot of gluten food also is enriched with vitamins.  Help!

I had a fair sweet tooth prior to going gluten free.  It didn’t get worse like you are describing, but after long enough gluten free it went away because I didn’t enjoy the avalable gluten free cookies etc.  I don’t remember how long that took, but there is hope for you!

Chocolate is normally magnesium.....if you have normal BMs daily go with doctors best magnesium powder in a tea with a bit of stevia/water enhancer. 
Other cravings mean different things....I always crave chocolate, used to crave fruit but in the past year of not eating fruit, sugars, grains for my other AI disease I now crave nuts, seeds like a mad man sometime binge eating butters from them. Cravings are normally they are a sign of nutrient deficiency, you need to learn what cravings mean one and try to supplement them and eat healthier alternatives. I go with Lakanto Monk Fruit sweetened chocolate bars and raw cocoa nibs...chew those nibs for a good 5-10mins til liquid to satisfy the binge, whole pumpkin seeds take forever to chew and help also. I also take liquid vitamin supplements from Liquid health.
Try eating more nuts, seeds, cocoa nibs bit a bit of a stevia dusting...bit bitter bit sweet helps as a in between and a gum like Spry sugar free when you know you have eaten enough and waiting for your body to know. Quick chart I found for cravings....I have a full on medical one on my wall with what cravings mean what lol.
https://natureworksbest.com/naturopathy-works/food-cravings/

Why not eat sugar?  Going gluten free does not mean you have to give up sugar or even simple carbs.  Old timers, like me, will advise not eating out and to try to avoid processed foods.  Anything that you can do to expedite healing with nutritionally dense foods is best.  But heck, you deserve a treat!  

I love Endangered Species Chocolate with Coffee!  Yum!  Bake some chocolate chip cookies.  

Indulge!  It is Friday! ?

There is no reason not to have a sweet now and then. I enjoy Hersey's dark chocolate chips when a chocolate craving hits.  Do go with mostly whole food but having an occasional gluten-free cookie, cake or piece of candy is okay.  You may want to stay away from dairy for a bit but once healed if you want an occasional bowl of gluten-free ice cream go for it.