Rate this topic

Does anyone eat Tangerine Smartcakes?  They were recommended to me - they look delicious, are low cal, low sugar and they are said to be made in a dedicated Gluten Free Facility.  However, one of the ingredients in Oat Fiber, but I don't see anything on there about these being Certified Oats.  Nor does the Gluten Free icon on the packaging indicated 'certified'.

I'll probably get in touch with the company to be sure before I order them, but thought I'd check here.

Thanks.

38 minutes ago, Nikki2777 said:

Does anyone eat Tangerine Smartcakes?  They were recommended to me - they look delicious, are low cal, low sugar and they are said to be made in a dedicated Gluten Free Facility.  However, one of the ingredients in Oat Fiber, but I don't see anything on there about these being Certified Oats.  Nor does the Gluten Free icon on the packaging indicated 'certified'.

I'll probably get in touch with the company to be sure before I order them, but thought I'd check here.

Thanks.

Technically, at least on the US, you aren’t supposed to list ingredients as “gluten-free oats” or “gluten-free whatever “.  some still do that.

the website says

Q. How can you guarantee that your products are gluten-free?
A. We have a strict dedicated gluten-free facility that manufactures only gluten-free products. All the ingredients that enter our facility are verified gluten-free.

It should be gluten free.  The cakes are designed for low carb dieters (keto, diabetics).  Just be careful with the substitute sugar — Erythritol.  Your body can not digest it, hence fewer calories.  Maybe not good for a person with GI issues.  Go slowly!  

7 hours ago, Nikki2777 said:

Thanks.

Few things to consider with those, 1. High fiber, if your not used to it there is going to be a adjustment period of bloat, gas, maybe constipation,
2. Erythritol, I use it daily but if you do not use sugar alcohols often there is again a adjustment phase for your gut normally causing diarrea
3. Whey Protein, many with celaiacs can have issues with various forms of dairy.

If you looking for a plain low carb bread look up Julian Bakery....for desserts that are GRAIN free low carb look up KNOWFoods....both better choices then the smart cakes but have some of the same issues.

Thank you, all -- I hadn't seen that on their website, about the "verified gluten free"; perhaps I read too quickly.

And thanks for the heads up about the possible issue - I definitely would have been freaked out by GI issues around eating them.  At least now I'll know.  And I'll look up this Julian Bakery.

44 minutes ago, Nikki2777 said:

Thank you, all -- I hadn't seen that on their website, about the "verified gluten free"; perhaps I read too quickly.

And thanks for the heads up about the possible issue - I definitely would have been freaked out by GI issues around eating them.  At least now I'll know.  And I'll look up this Julian Bakery.

https://julianbakery.com/shop/?fwp_product_categories=bread

https://knowfoods.com/collections/frontpage
^Low carb bread, muffins, waffles, cookies, etc. All low carb and keto friendly great for diabetics
https://www.califlourfoods.com/collections
*^ This is the only one I buy, grain free, low carb crust, and the plant based one is great, NOTE these make a New york style flat crust, I use 15 min prebake before adding toppings to make them extra crispy
Few things that might be of interest, OH and Protes makes low carb chips from vegan plant protein, they recently started selling them at some CVS stores...expenisve but the only chip other then my own I can enjoy now days.