This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened, only new product udi's bread

Lakegirl

Lakegirl Newbie

Im a very sensitive celiac, can't handle cross contamination, and suffer from the rash plus awful gi issues.

Im clearly glutened but the only new thing I ate were udi's bagels and bread.

Any ideas? The packaging doesn't seem very secure compared to say, schar, but it tastes great.

Could it really be the udi's?

Thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
2 hours ago, Lakegirl said:

Im a very sensitive celiac, can't handle cross contamination, and suffer from the rash plus awful gi issues.

Any ideas? The packaging doesn't seem very secure compared to say, schar, but it tastes great.

Thank you

Udis is used by SO many and such a big Celiac brand I doubt they have any gluten. My thoughts would be the other ingredients....many find they react to stuff like xantham gum much like gluten sort of a intolerance that is common among celiacs. Could also be a overload of other ingredients, yeast can cause gut issues in some, the starch load, etc. Remove the bread from your diet, keep a food diary and try to keep your meals the same see how you feel. You can freeze the UDI loaf if you wish to try it again later in a month or so. Mean time try say something else with ingredients you think might be bothering you in a week or two when you start feeling better.

For now go back to a whole food only diet, simple super soft meals of easily to digest foods like super moist soft microwave eggs, soups, stews etc. Avoiding any processed foods to reduce the time it takes for your gut to normalize from the gluten exposure. They make a enzyme that you can get called glidenX that helps you get over it quicker and reduce the symptoms (not a miracle pill but supposed to help).

PS I have glutened myself with minor CC from forgetting to wash my hands after say heading to the grocery store and handling things that I suspect a gluten eater touched with glutened hands from the samples in the store, or the flour dust from god knows where. >.< it is obvious when you do it between meals by CCing the gum or a mint your putting in your mouth after shopping and not eating anything then BAM.

Lakegirl Newbie

Thank you so much for the reply. Ive been diagnosed just over a year and am getting more and more sensitive. I cannot get out of bed, my rash is so itchy and sore I feel like ive been burnt, and horrendous gastro problems. 

I generally dont eat any gluten-free bread or baked goods, and just cant work out how I was glutened. I suspect cc if udi's is ok.

I hate celiac disease. I feel under attack and eating anything is like gambling. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
49 minutes ago, Lakegirl said:

Thank you so much for the reply. Ive been diagnosed just over a year and am getting more and more sensitive. I cannot get out of bed, my rash is so itchy and sore I feel like ive been burnt, and horrendous gastro problems. 

I generally dont eat any gluten-free bread or baked goods, and just cant work out how I was glutened. I suspect cc if udi's is ok.

I hate celiac disease. I feel under attack and eating anything is like gambling. 

First year is brutal, I had to remove ALL processed foods, I had SOO many food intolerance issues and random foods just made me puke. I went to a simple whole food diet, and had to cook all veggies to mostly mush. Found many I could not eat for a long time. Keep a food diary and cut down to only 1-2 foods from each category working with a dietician to make sure you getting all your vitamins/minerals. Rotate the diet and found the foods you can tolerate and keep meals simple, bland/light seasoned with gluten-free seasonings, and cooked to dang near mush (you want to be able to swish it between your teeth before swallowing) I found this the simplest way to eat. I had to move to a whole dedicated gluten-free house also.

kareng Grand Master

My understanding of DH is that it is hard to get rid of.  You may need to check with a doctor about dapsone to help you get it under control.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Udi’s is tested to under 10 ppm.  It should be safe for most.  You might be like me and react to Xanthan Gum.  Not a gluten reaction, but an intolerance that affects my GI tract.  Shar breads do not contain Xanthan Gum, but they do have soy.  

That said, consider browsing through the DH section of the forum.  DH sufferers often need to be on a stricter diet.  They often need to avoid anything with iodine temporarily (not for life).  There are some good tips there by seasoned members who have DH.  

celiacsojourness Rookie

I'm also really sensitive. I do eat Udi's now, though I didn't eat any packaged products for years after my diagnosis. I have, however, been glutened by other gluten free products.

When was the last time you called the companies of foods you eat regularly? There was a peanut butter I used to eat that changed processing facilities. I was sick for over a month, went back to the doctor sure it was something other than celiac, and eventually called every single company that made processed foods I ate and found that the peanut butter was now on shared lines with gluten. Found a new source of peanut butter, and I felt totally fine.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lissyaz Newbie

For some reason I can not eat Udi’s. Makes me VERY sick. I recently found Canyon Bakehouse and ordered some online. Not only did it not make me sick, I couldn’t believe that someone makes gluten-free bread and buns that don’t disintegrate upon contact with meat/veg/condiments, etc. Even when I eat half and save the rest in the fridge for the next day, still not soggy. Killed me to have to throw away my freezer full of udi’s, but it just wasn’t worth the agony.

apprehensiveengineer Community Regular
On 2/5/2018 at 1:05 PM, Lakegirl said:

Thank you

I get DH and can't consume most processed gluten-free alternative foods (including Udi's) without bringing for the fury of the rash. One or two slices on an isolated occasion would probably be fine/minimally harmful, but if I eat 1-2 slices a day for any extended period, I'll be an crusty/itchy mess before long.

I suspect that in my case this is to do with CC from oats. I react to pure, gluten-free oats to the same degree I react to wheat/barley/rye, and can't handle any CC. Because oats can now be considered gluten-free, companies that use them in some of their products are unlikely to do extensive cleaning between runs (because it's all "gluten-free" in their minds). Thus, you could have some amount of oat CC in products that do not contain them as an explicit ingredient. The only way to truly know if this is likely would be to contact the company, but in my experience of doing so, all I got was a "no comment/gluten-free oats are 100% safe for everyone!"

This might not be your problem, but if you cannot tolerate pure oats it might be worth considering. This took me a long time to figure out, so I'd like to think that this might save someone some pain. Personally, I only buy from companies that do not use oats at all (which is quite literally, almost 0 these days). I actually make my own flour using parboiled rice and a coffee grinder, which is if nothing else, ultra-economical :ph34r:.

• 4 years later...
Nancy La Newbie

I was looking for information about Udi breads and found these comments, which are four years old.  does anyone have more current information on Udi's, specifically cross-contamination? Also, I need information about recovery after a contamination (my 14 yo daughter has Celiac Disease).  I'd appreciate any information.  In particular, some people commented on cooking veggies to mush and I am curious why that would be. 

trents Grand Master

Welcome to the forum, Nancy!

What specific info about Udis' bread are you looking for? Do you have any dietary issues besides avoiding gluten that you need to address?

Nancy La Newbie

Just gluten, as far as we are aware. The comments I read about possible cross contamination at their factories caused me to wonder if Udis now has dedicated gluten free facilities. I am trying to pinpoint what caused my daughters recent flare- up. 

knitty kitty Grand Master

Some Celiacs react to rice and corn as though it were gluten.  

The Autoimmune Paleo Protocol diet is scientifically proven to help with healing.  This diet cuts out all grains, dairy, legumes and nightshades for several weeks.  When feeling better, check for reactions after adding one item back to diet.

Keeping a food/mood/poo'd journal can help pinpoint problematic foods.

Check for vitamin and mineral deficiencies!

Nancy La Newbie

Thanks very much. I’ll research this diet.