Rate this topic

Are there any particular cocoa powders or dutch cocoa powders you have used that are gluten-free and you have not had any issues with?  I saw this recipe that looks yummy maybe for Valentine's Day but was not sure if all cocoa powders are created equal when it comes to gluten issues or cross contamination?  Same with chocolate chips?

Here's the recipe if anyone is interested....

https://kirbiecravings.com/2015/02/4-ingredient-flourless-chocolate-mug-cake.html

1 hour ago, LilyR said:

Are there any particular cocoa powders or dutch cocoa powders you have used that are gluten-free and you have not had any issues with?  I saw this recipe that looks yummy maybe for Valentine's Day but was not sure if all cocoa powders are created equal when it comes to gluten issues or cross contamination?  Same with chocolate chips?

Here's the recipe if anyone is interested....

https://kirbiecravings.com/2015/02/4-ingredient-flourless-chocolate-mug-cake.html

never seen one with gluten.  gluten free bakeries around here use Hersheys

Yeah Hershey in my bakery, the Dark says gluten free in small letters on it, the plain I was cautious about myself but on their website it is listed under the gluten free products and I have been using it in my bakery for the past 2 years. Before that I used a raw expensive one from Big Tree. Only a few brands you need to be concerned about gluten....fact is your more likely to get heavy metals and toxins in your cocoa powder then gluten....they did some extensive testing.  Still Hershey came back among the safest even with those, so safe bet. Chocolate Chips you can look at Enjoy Life, and MyGerbs, Sugar Free chips you have Lilly's, phikind, and a few others. I started playing with Lakanto cocoa bars which are dairy and sugar free.....melting them and using for coatings.

On 2/6/2018 at 3:15 PM, Ennis_TX said:

Yeah Hershey in my bakery, the Dark says gluten free in small letters on it, the plain I was cautious about myself but on their website it is listed under the gluten free products and I have been using it in my bakery for the past 2 years. Before that I used a raw expensive one from Big Tree. Only a few brands you need to be concerned about gluten....fact is your more likely to get heavy metals and toxins in your cocoa powder then gluten....they did some extensive testing.  Still Hershey came back among the safest even with those, so safe bet. Chocolate Chips you can look at Enjoy Life, and MyGerbs, Sugar Free chips you have Lilly's, phikind, and a few others. I started playing with Lakanto cocoa bars which are dairy and sugar free.....melting them and using for coatings.

Thanks.  That is good to know about the cocoa. 

I had just tried Nestle chocolate chips in a cloud bread cookie, and I am not sure if they bothered me.  I think they are gluten free but I am wondering if anything else in them bothered me. I am having a rough few weeks. I am about to go back to basics soon and start over.  When I first stopped eating gluten it took a few weeks, maybe even a month or so, but I started having relief. Now for months I've been having bad bloating again (and on three blood pressure meds and still my blood pressure is high and I get racing pulse at times).  I am so lost.  Not sure if the blood pressure has anything to do with the stomach issues or what.  But I eat the cookie with the chocolate chips and my heart started racing for hours and I felt awful.  

3 minutes ago, LilyR said:

Thanks.  That is good to know about the cocoa. 

I had just tried Nestle chocolate chips in a cloud bread cookie, and I am not sure if they bothered me.  I think they are gluten free but I am wondering if anything else in them bothered me. I am having a rough few weeks. I am about to go back to basics soon and start over.  When I first stopped eating gluten it took a few weeks, maybe even a month or so, but I started having relief. Now for months I've been having bad bloating again (and on three blood pressure meds and still my blood pressure is high and I get racing pulse at times).  I am so lost.  Not sure if the blood pressure has anything to do with the stomach issues or what.  But I eat the cookie with the chocolate chips and my heart started racing for hours and I felt awful.  

Nestles chic chips are gluten-free.  I use them with no problems. But there is a lot of fat and sugar in cookies

5 minutes ago, kareng said:

Nestles chic chips are gluten-free.  I use them with no problems. But there is a lot of fat and sugar in cookies

I used eggs, plain Greek yogurt,  cream of tartar, and a little sugar and vanilla, along with the chocolate chips.  I am starting to wonder if I have issues with vanilla (I used McCormicks though) or anything else in the chocolate chips, like maybe corn syrup or something.  Or maybe it was not the cookies.  I'm having a bad week.  I feel like I am grasping at straws.