Amy W

My husband has celiac but I don't. Do I need to know anything during pregnancy?

Rate this topic

My husband and I are wanting to grow our family soon :). He has celiac. He was diagnosed very young and has been gluten-free ever since. We keep a gluten-free house for simplicity sake but since i don't have it i'm not completely gluten-free, just mostly. He carries both genes which to my understanding means our kids will have celiac (please! correct me if I'm wrong on that). My questions are: Do i need to be completely gluten-free during pregnancy? Do i need to be completely gluten-free while breastfeeding? I've read that celiac can cause difficulty getting pregnant and play into miscarriages but does that only apply if the mother is the one with celiac? Thanks in advance for any help! I've already been learning so much just reading around :)

Since you don't have celiac disease you should be able to eat gluten during pregnancy and even while breast feeding. Your child won't necessarily develop celiac disease just because it carries a gene for it--only a small percentage of those with the gene develop celiac disease. More info:
https://www.celiac.com/articles/24573/1/Is-the-Amount-of-a-Babys-First-Gluten-an-Important-Factor-in-Celiac-Disease/Page1.html

Your children have a 10 to 15% chance of developing celiac disease (first-degree relative).  Not a huge risk, so I would not worry!  There have been many studies about introducing gluten at specific times  and dosages to children.  A large one was just finished and they found that it did not matter when Gluten was introduced.  The bottom line is no one really knows.  

https://www.gluten.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Gluten-Commentary-August-2015.pdf

I just attended a celiac seminar with Dr.  Sheila Crowe, a celiac expert and 2017 President of the American Gastroenterologist Association.  She said that researchers now think that Enteric infections (e.g. virus) might be the culprit in triggering celiac disease.  Let’s face it, so many people do not develop celiac disease until later in life.  

Celiac disease can be linked to infertility but that often resolves in a gluten free diet and does not apply to you, a non-celiac.  

So, the bottom line is no one has any hard answers to your questions.    Your best bet would be to consider breastfeeding, have a vaginal birth, and let that toddler play in the dirt to help build up a good gut bionome and immune system.  Eat a healthy diet, rest  and exercise for a good pregnancy outcome.  

Keep researching, so that you will make the best decisions that work for you and your family.  There is no one right and perfect way!  

Not to mention it's FUN! And fun is good for the psyche. Aw heck, just invite me over & I'll play in the dirt with the little one too.:lol:

Gluten free food is not regulated as it is a "specialty food." What this means is that unlike gluten-containing bread and other grains, gluten free bread has no required fortifications (iron, B vitamins, and folate). I'm almost positive that your doctor has recommended folate fortification to you and hopefully you are testing your vitamin levels.

Plumbago