Rate this topic

Hi, 

Im a bit confused about my symptoms so hoping for some insight. I have been suffering from a range of symptoms, which all started just after I had my second child (who is nearly 3 now). I have constipation on and off, mucoua in stool, undigested food in stool,  insomnia which sometimes is very severe...I cannot sleep for days, migraines, sinus pain, vertigo, burning feeling in ears, sore joints, pain in knees and lower back pain. I also suffer from wind when I am constipated. I dont really feel bloated and my stomach doesnt swell or anything. 

I didnt connect it to anything I was eating until recently. I assumed it was stress related. However I have noticed that when I eat grains, they come out undigested and I almost alseays have constipation about 2 or 3 days later. I ate the grain feekah a few days ago...and now am constipated again...with fully recognisable grains. Sorry for tmi! 

I am wondering if the fact the grains are undigested...is this a reliable way of determining that it is the culprit food and that is causing problems? Is it possible just to have an intolerence to grains but be ok with other wheat sources such as bread etc? 

I am also wondering if wheat allergy and/or gluten intolerence or celiac disease, can just develop out of the blue? I havent had any problems before until the past 2-3 years.  Also, can it be triggered by stress/ pregnancy/giving birth? 

My doctors arent the best tbh...so I havent really gone back as I get fobbed off. Im going to try eliminating foods from diet to try to see what helps. 

Any advise etc greatly appreciated.

Karolina

1 hour ago, Karolinamoon said:

Hi, 

Im a bit confused about my symptoms so hoping for some insight. I have been suffering from a range of symptoms, which all started just after I had my second child (who is nearly 3 now). I have constipation on and off, mucoua in stool, undigested food in stool,  insomnia which sometimes is very severe...I cannot sleep for days, migraines, sinus pain, vertigo, burning feeling in ears, sore joints, pain in knees and lower back pain. I also suffer from wind when I am constipated. I dont really feel bloated and my stomach doesnt swell or anything. 

I didnt connect it to anything I was eating until recently. I assumed it was stress related. However I have noticed that when I eat grains, they come out undigested and I almost alseays have constipation about 2 or 3 days later. I ate the grain feekah a few days ago...and now am constipated again...with fully recognisable grains. Sorry for tmi! 

I am wondering if the fact the grains are undigested...is this a reliable way of determining that it is the culprit food and that is causing problems? Is it possible just to have an intolerence to grains but be ok with other wheat sources such as bread etc? 

I am also wondering if wheat allergy and/or gluten intolerence or celiac disease, can just develop out of the blue? I havent had any problems before until the past 2-3 years.  Also, can it be triggered by stress/ pregnancy/giving birth? 

My doctors arent the best tbh...so I havent really gone back as I get fobbed off. Im going to try eliminating foods from diet to try to see what helps. 

Any advise etc greatly appreciated.

Karolina

Celiac disease can be dormant and brought on by stress to the body. Honestly I your the 5-6th person I have seen have this kind of thing triggered by child birth. Yes everything can be accredited to celiac disease but you need to be tested for it. Screening is simple but you need to be eating gluten daily at least 1/2 a slice of bread a day for 12 weeks prior to blood test then they follow up with a endoscope.
http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

To help naturally with your constipation you can try Natural Vitality Calm starting off with 1/4tsp a day and up slowly to the full dose over a week. If you get loose stools back the dose back off.
Other thoughts, your mentioned undigested food this brings about several possible other problems with different things to help out and you need to talk to a doctor about them, I will list my thoughts.
Gut Bacteria. you could lack the good gut bacteria to help break down certain foods and need a good probioitc like Fortify from Natures way.
Low Pancreatic Enzymes, look into enzyme deficiency, but if you lack certain enzymes you can not break down certain foods this is corrected by taking digestive enzymes like Jarrow Enzymes Plus. https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/119919-digestive-enzymes/
Stomach acid not acidic enough, this can be brought on by using PPIs (Nexium and other heat burn meds) too much or other issues, if your stomach acid is not strong enough it compounds by not letting your digestive enzymes work and other issues causing your food not to digest there is a HCL pill to make your acid more acidic and break down foods. 
You could also have a food intolerance to something else or many other issues, please keep a food diary and consider the above and talk to your doctor.

Probiotics - yes. 

Enzymes - yes.

PPIs/low stomach acid - yes.

Doctor needs to confirm celiac disease - yes. 

I agree with Ennis. 

To address the constipation, I would recommend some magnesium. Most of us are deficient in it anyway so, two problems solved at once.  Or, if you are feeling more adventurous, do a vitamin C flush.  

You have so many symptoms... cannot say I can help you with it all. However, I have Menieres disease (tinnitus, vertigo...) and I found that it improved a whole lot after going gluten free. Not because of the gluten-free diet necessarily, but because I corrected some nutricional deficiencies (B vitamin deficiencies can cause that sort of problems). 

If possible, go to the doctor when you are feeling "well". In my experience, if you have some sort of immediate problem to sort, they will only focus on that and not look at the big picture and get to the root of it all. That is why it took me two years of complaining to get a diagnosis.