Jump to content
  • Sign Up
LilyR

White Rice Flour Baking Recipes? No Xanthan Gum?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I am trying to avoid corn products right now (and oats, soy, and ingredients like xanthan gum and guar gum).  I also cannot seem to tolerate brown rice or rice bran.  I was wondering if anyone has found or tried any baking recipes that use things like white rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, things like that - and that do not contain corn flour, xanthan gum, etc?  The only thing I've seen so far are cloud bread chocolate chip cookies and one chocolate mug cake. I haven't tried either yet, but probably will.  But I was looking for more recipe options if anyone has any? Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LilyR said:

I am trying to avoid corn products right now (and oats, soy, and ingredients like xanthan gum and guar gum).  I also cannot seem to tolerate brown rice or rice bran.  I was wondering if anyone has found or tried any baking recipes that use things like white rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, things like that - and that do not contain corn flour, xanthan gum, etc?  The only thing I've seen so far are cloud bread chocolate chip cookies and one chocolate mug cake. I haven't tried either yet, but probably will.  But I was looking for more recipe options if anyone has any? Thanks. 

 

Got many grain free options here, I got a flatbread/pizza. dinner rolls, lemon cake, mug cakes, I avoid grains, and starches and the carbs and sugar rushes are really bad for my other autoimmune disease. I tend to use psyllium husk for a doughy binder, as it seems to break down easier and not bind to fats and float in my stomach like other gums.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/blogs/blog/1202-gluten-free-and-specialty-diet-recipes/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much. That looks like a great variety.  I will have to try some.  I seem to get bloating with using too much almond flour (or eating nuts in general, not sure if it's the fiber), or foods and flours with lots of fiber. The soft almond butter cookies sound so good. What is xylitol though? And can you find it in grocery stores (what aisle) or do you order it? I love the idea of the portobello pizzas - yum!  The vegan cheesy garlic knots sound really good too.  I wonder if I could substitute some white rice flour for some of the ground almond and coconut flour just to reduce some of the fiber content a bit?  And maybe use regular cheese?  They sound really good. Thanks for sharing. I love soups too so will check out those recipes as well.  

 

I'd love to find some crispy or crunchy cookies, or scones, or quick breads like banana bread, etc. that use mostly things like white rice flour, tapioca flour, maybe potato starch (I have not used or bought that yet, but I seem to tolerate potatoes well). Or recipes like pizza dough or flat breads or any rolls or breads.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, LilyR said:

Thank you so much. That looks like a great variety.  I will have to try some.  I seem to get bloating with using too much almond flour (or eating nuts in general, not sure if it's the fiber), or foods and flours with lots of fiber. The soft almond butter cookies sound so good. What is xylitol though? And can you find it in grocery stores (what aisle) or do you order it? I love the idea of the portobello pizzas - yum!  The vegan cheesy garlic knots sound really good too.  I wonder if I could substitute some white rice flour for some of the ground almond and coconut flour just to reduce some of the fiber content a bit?  And maybe use regular cheese?  They sound really good. Thanks for sharing. I love soups too so will check out those recipes as well.  

 

I'd love to find some crispy or crunchy cookies, or scones, or quick breads like banana bread, etc. that use mostly things like white rice flour, tapioca flour, maybe potato starch (I have not used or bought that yet, but I seem to tolerate potatoes well). Or recipes like pizza dough or flat breads or any rolls or breads.  

Oddly I find rice, carbs, starches make me bloat, between the gut bacteria breaking them down and my ulcerative colitis flaring with them it becomes painful annoying and causes all kinds of stool issues and bleeding.

My dad did the cheddar biscuit version with dairy cheese just fine. The almond and coconut ratio is pretty much needed a rice flour will really mess with the oils, fats and give it a gummy texture.
Xylitol is a sugar alcohol/sugar replacement you might get by with real sugar like coconut sugar for a low gycemic one that will give a deep nutty flavor. Also if your not used to xylitol it can mess with your gut. I order online like from luckyvitamin by the 5lb bags for use in my bakery for some customers.

I found some good grain free pizza crust and crust mixes I use....again I do not stomach grains, and avoid gums and starches. Bit ,more like a cross between a flat bread pizza and new york style one, Depending on prebake you can get a soft chew or a extra crsipy....found cutting them into shapes to be fun and making crackers with them nice. NOTE I use the plant based dairy free one. https://www.califlourfoods.com/collections

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2018 at 9:47 AM, LilyR said:

I am trying to avoid corn products right now (and oats, soy, and ingredients like xanthan gum and guar gum).  I also cannot seem to tolerate brown rice or rice bran.  I was wondering if anyone has found or tried any baking recipes that use things like white rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, things like that - and that do not contain corn flour, xanthan gum, etc?  The only thing I've seen so far are cloud bread chocolate chip cookies and one chocolate mug cake. I haven't tried either yet, but probably will.  But I was looking for more recipe options if anyone has any? Thanks. 

I never use gums, and only use plain rice flour with normal baking ingredients. I am allergic to soy and can't hack oats. I just use "normal" recipes as rough templates when I bake. I think that the trap many cooks fall into is being too obsessed with following the recipe to a T. The trap many gluten-free cooks is making things more complicated than necessary, IMHO.

In my experience, the key to gluten-free baking in particular is to add the right amount of liquid ingredient to achieve the correct consistency for what you're trying to make. gluten-free flours absorb liquid differently than wheat flour, and this is very variable between different types of flours/mixes. Most gluten-free recipes come out badly if you use a different mix than the recipe author did, which is why I never use them! To avoid this, add the liquid components slowly until the correct consistency is achieved.

I find that adding an extra egg or a bit of extra baking powder is helpful sometimes as well. This makes for a less crumbly texture (a hazard with rice flour) and improves rising. If you're making muffins or loaf, add milk to make them big and fluffy (tell your gluten baking friends this tip as well).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, apprehensiveengineer said:

I never use gums, and only use plain rice flour with normal baking ingredients. I am allergic to soy and can't hack oats. I just use "normal" recipes as rough templates when I bake. I think that the trap many cooks fall into is being too obsessed with following the recipe to a T. The trap many gluten-free cooks is making things more complicated than necessary, IMHO.

In my experience, the key to gluten-free baking in particular is to add the right amount of liquid ingredient to achieve the correct consistency for what you're trying to make. gluten-free flours absorb liquid differently than wheat flour, and this is very variable between different types of flours/mixes. Most gluten-free recipes come out badly if you use a different mix than the recipe author did, which is why I never use them! To avoid this, add the liquid components slowly until the correct consistency is achieved.

I find that adding an extra egg or a bit of extra baking powder is helpful sometimes as well. This makes for a less crumbly texture (a hazard with rice flour) and improves rising. If you're making muffins or loaf, add milk to make them big and fluffy (tell your gluten baking friends this tip as well).

 

Thanks for that info.  I had been wondering how just trying a regular recipe would come out if using mostly white rice flour, maybe add a little coconut flour, which seems thicker.  I made a banana bread and used those flours, but also added some tapioca and let some chia seeds soak in hot water and put those in too.  It came out pretty good. My daughter liked it a lot too.  But i started getting very bloated stomach, and wondered if it was the chai seed or something?  I have no idea.  Maybe once my stomach heals better I'll try it again. The chai seeds got all bloated up  in the water, but after baking they seemed to be the tiny little crunchy seeds again, which I loved that texture in the bread. It reminded me of poppy seeds. But I do wonder if that was too much fiber for my stomach,  I had noticed even before I stopped eating gluten if I put too many chai seeds in my oatmeal (which I can't eat oats anymore), it bloated me.   I need to remember to drink a lot of water when I have things like that too.  

It sure was nice back in the day when eating was not complicated, lol! I sure do miss that. But I hope I can keep learning and hopefully get my stomach in a better place.  It started to at one point, but then started getting worse again.  So, still working on figuring it all out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LilyR said:

But i started getting very bloated stomach, and wondered if it was the chai seed or something?  I have no idea.  Maybe once my stomach heals better I'll try it again. The chai seeds got all bloated up  in the water, but after baking they seemed to be the tiny little crunchy seeds again, which I loved that texture in the bread. It reminded me of poppy seeds. But I do wonder if that was too much fiber for my stomach,  I had noticed even before I stopped eating gluten if I put too many chai seeds in my oatmeal (which I can't eat oats anymore), it bloated me.   I need to remember to drink a lot of water when I have things like that too. 

Hmm. Hard to say... might want to double check the sourcing on your chia seeds. They're a "newer" food, so I don't know of any data out there on whether they are often contaminated (don't buy them myself). If they're causing problems I'd skip them, even if you're not sure why yet. If you know that you can't tolerate pure oats, CC from gluten-free oats could be something to consider - I don't buy anything from specialty gluten-free companies/lines because of this.

Pre-diagnosis, I noticed that I would feel terrible/sick the day after drinking beer but not after drinking anything else (ie. issue wasn't the alcohol). I ate a massively glutenous diet, so it seems pretty wild that a small amount extra would be noticeable.

Best of luck with the baking though - honestly, I try not to overthink it. I use the exact same pancake, muffin, loaf and pie crust recipes that I always used. The only difference is that I now use rice flour, which I "make" from parboiled rice in a coffee grinder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, apprehensiveengineer said:

Hmm. Hard to say... might want to double check the sourcing on your chia seeds. They're a "newer" food, so I don't know of any data out there on whether they are often contaminated (don't buy them myself). If they're causing problems I'd skip them, even if you're not sure why yet. If you know that you can't tolerate pure oats, CC from gluten-free oats could be something to consider - I don't buy anything from specialty gluten-free companies/lines because of this.

Pre-diagnosis, I noticed that I would feel terrible/sick the day after drinking beer but not after drinking anything else (ie. issue wasn't the alcohol). I ate a massively glutenous diet, so it seems pretty wild that a small amount extra would be noticeable.

Best of luck with the baking though - honestly, I try not to overthink it. I use the exact same pancake, muffin, loaf and pie crust recipes that I always used. The only difference is that I now use rice flour, which I "make" from parboiled rice in a coffee grinder.

That is a good idea to check the chai see package. I never even thought of CC.  But yes, I might as well just stop using them for now.  I miss having some beer every now and then.  I don't drink a lot, but sometimes it just hits the spot.  My husband drinks one very day after work and I miss taking sips.  

So you just parboil the rice, not thoroughly cook it, regular rice (not instant)? And then grind it?  Does it end up dry or moist?  Can you store it at all, or need to use it right away?  I should try that.  I have been getting the packages of white rice flour.  It is very powdery and fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LilyR said:

That is a good idea to check the chai see package. I never even thought of CC.  But yes, I might as well just stop using them for now.  I miss having some beer every now and then.  I don't drink a lot, but sometimes it just hits the spot.  My husband drinks one very day after work and I miss taking sips.  

So you just parboil the rice, not thoroughly cook it, regular rice (not instant)? And then grind it?  Does it end up dry or moist?  Can you store it at all, or need to use it right away?  I should try that.  I have been getting the packages of white rice flour.  It is very powdery and fine. 

It depends a bit on what I'm cooking. Instant (1 minute) rice works best, but I do use parboiled whole grain brown rice (package says it cooks in 20 minutes) for some stuff. The brown rice is a bit more nutritious, but gives a grittier result.... doesn't work for stuff like cookies or scones, but okay for muffins and loaves. Sometimes I do a half/half mix, or mash up some boiled potatoes.

I used to dream of being a homebrewer if that makes you feel any better :blink:!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, apprehensiveengineer said:

It depends a bit on what I'm cooking. Instant (1 minute) rice works best, but I do use parboiled whole grain brown rice (package says it cooks in 20 minutes) for some stuff. The brown rice is a bit more nutritious, but gives a grittier result.... doesn't work for stuff like cookies or scones, but okay for muffins and loaves. Sometimes I do a half/half mix, or mash up some boiled potatoes.

I used to dream of being a homebrewer if that makes you feel any better :blink:!

Oh that would not be fun....letting go of home brewing dreams.  Our neighbor does that and brings samples over from time to time.  He made the best oatmeal stout I've ever had, and I miss knowing I can't even try that again.  Have you tried any of the gluten free beers?  I haven't.  I don't drink often, but it is nice to know you can have a favorite drink when you want. 

 

I can't seem to handle brown rice right now. It might be the extra fiber in it.  That and rice bran seem to bother me.  I will have to try it with white rice though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...