This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do symptoms of being glutened change depending on how much you have ingested?

Michelle14

Michelle14 Newbie

I have celiac disease and have been gluten free for 3 years. I have been glutened from time to time by what i have assumed was cross contamination but a few days ago i accidentally ate some cookies that were made with real flour (it was a brand that i have had before that is gluten free but this flavor was not). A few hours after eating the cookies i was violently ill, vomiting and everything. This has never happened to me before. My usual "glutened" symptoms are exhaustion, anxiety, brain fog, ect. These usually last a full 3 days. After throwing up after eating the gluten cookies i didnt feel great but i didnt feel my usual symptoms. Is this normal? Is this because i got the gluten out before it could cause the other symptoms?  Has anyone had similar experiences depending on how much glutened was consumed? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

In my experience, celiac disease is like a chameleon.  Symptoms can vary.  It can be very frustrating.  I have questioned it and actually have gone in for an antibodies check to confirm whether or not gluten has been the culprit (it was).    I also found that a glutening (in my case) can set off a chain of other autoimmune events that can last for months.  

I hope  you feel better soon! 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
3 hours ago, Michelle14 said:

I have celiac disease and have been gluten free for 3 years. I have been glutened from time to time by what i have assumed was cross contamination but a few days ago i accidentally ate some cookies that were made with real flour (it was a brand that i have had before that is gluten free but this flavor was not). A few hours after eating the cookies i was violently ill, vomiting and everything. This has never happened to me before. My usual "glutened" symptoms are exhaustion, anxiety, brain fog, ect. These usually last a full 3 days. After throwing up after eating the gluten cookies i didnt feel great but i didnt feel my usual symptoms. Is this normal? Is this because i got the gluten out before it could cause the other symptoms?  Has anyone had similar experiences depending on how much glutened was consumed? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

It changes and the amount and form seems to cause different levels of symptoms.....back in 2016 June, last time I ate something with actual straight wheat in it. I reacted so violently, withing 30mins I felt first symptoms and knew it was going to be bad, I no sooner made it in my door then my legs gave on me and I collapsed in my door way body unresponsive just motor control loss (gluten ataxia), not sure on the time frames but I was vomiting there on the floor, for hours in and out of it, so bad I had blood in my vomit I assume from capillaries busting with how hard I was heaving. I had a friend who checked on me, my pulse dropping in to the 30s and apparently I turned white and looked like I was not breathing a few times. I have not had a reaction that bad with CC or stuff confirmed since to have small amounts of wheat....

Back in December I got some hemp protein....I was eating it for a week and started having stumbling issues, fog, dropping things, constipation then diarrhea hit.......nima tested the protein as positive sent it to a lab to figure out it was like 16ppm....slow ramping effects....took me over a month for cow pies to stop.
Then come up this week...I got some coconut chips gluten free on the back ....fight I got a tightening under my neck in the lymp nodes....something was up....nima tested positive and found in shared facilities in small print under ingredients....I had luckily been given some of that Gliden X stuff and downed one....I only had mild vomiting and one batch of diarrhea....it was like over the next day...NO noticeable motor control issues.  So I guess it helps with getting over exposure faster.

As Cycling lady says the disease is a chameleon

Michelle14 Newbie

Thank you both for your response! This disease can be so brutal thats for sure. Everytime i get glutened i question my own sanity because it is always because of cross contamination and there is something about not having a solid answer as to where the gluten came from that can have you second guessing yourself and your symptoms, and for me, when i am in a glutened frame of mind i am extra hard on myself and feel so guilty for being sick that i often question myself and if it really is gluten or if it is all in my head. Its awful. It is gluten and that is clear after my mind is back to normal but it is a rough couple of days.  Anyway, thats why it was so weird this time that i was throwing up but didnt have all of the mental symptoms i usually get. Just when you think you've got it all under control, it comes at you harder than ever! Another lesson learned i guess :)

Archived