Rate this topic

Hi all!! I am rather new to having celiac disease. I was Glutened Thursday and am trying to figure out the culprit. Has anyone gotten sick from Monat shampoo? They claim it’s gluten free, but I newly used it on my hair before bed and woke up the next morning ill? TIA for any info

Edited by April36

3 hours ago, April36 said:

Hi all!! I am rather new to having celiac disease. I was Glutened Thursday and am trying to figure out the culprit. Has anyone gotten sick from Monat shampoo? They claim it’s gluten free, but I newly used it on my hair before bed and woke up the next morning ill? TIA for any info

Unless you were singing in the shower and swallowed a bunch of shampoo, chances are it was NOT the shampoo.  I think I would be choking or vomiting just from swallowing any soap, gluten free or not.

If you are new, expect  setbacks.  It can take months to heal (sometimes years). It takes time to build up antibodies or time for them to stop increasing.   Many celiacs have intolerances that are often temporary (e.g. lactose, soy, corn or Xanthan Gum).  Did you eat out?  Eat any oats?  

Review our Newbie 101 thread posted at the top of the “Coping” section of the forum.  

I hope you figure it out.  

Edited by cyclinglady

It is very easy to ingest shampoo and conditioner in the shower. I am a mouth breather and get both in my mouth all the time when rinsing. Monat’s products are NOT gluten free as they claim. Majority of their products contain hydrolyzed wheat protien and/or wheat amino acids. It is said that the gluten molecule is too large to pass through the skin, but if you have broken skin or a rash, it can pass through. Monat has other harsh chemicals in their products as well, which have been known to cause rashes and skin leasions, therfore creating that opening in your skin on your scalp. A lot of people do react negatively to gluten in topically used products. 

Edited by Mrstoe

On 2/11/2018 at 5:47 PM, April36 said:

Yes, I just used 3 days of Monat and have been sick since. I had decided to search and see if there was anything on this product and found this. I wish I had searched before I used the stuff 😩.