narchar

Do my blood test results indicate celiac disease?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone, I recently received my blood test results and have attached the relevant info below. I have a endoscopy in the coming week. After reading these message boards it seems like doctors don't always seem to be adapt at diagnosis of celiac or gluten sensitivity, so I want to have as much information as I can. 

Anti Tissue Transglutaminase Antibodies: 4.7 U/mL (RV: < 15.0 U/mL)

Gliadin deaminated IgG Antibodies: 2.70 (RV: <1.00) 

Endomysium IgA Antibodies: Positive (RV: Title 1/10)

Endomysium IgG Ab: Not detected (RV: Title <1/10)

Also, for the Ednomysium tests, what does "Title 1/10) represent? 

Thanks for the help! 

28 minutes ago, narchar said:

Hi everyone, I recently received my blood test results and have attached the relevant info below. I have a endoscopy in the coming week. After reading these message boards it seems like doctors don't always seem to be adapt at diagnosis of celiac or gluten sensitivity, so I want to have as much information as I can. 

Anti Tissue Transglutaminase Antibodies: 4.7 U/mL (RV: < 15.0 U/mL)

Gliadin deaminated IgG Antibodies: 2.70 (RV: <1.00) 

Endomysium IgA Antibodies: Positive (RV: Title 1/10)

Endomysium IgG Ab: Not detected (RV: Title <1/10)

Also, for the Ednomysium tests, what does "Title 1/10) represent? 

Thanks for the help! 

You not be in the US.  Our tests don't look like that.  Why not ask the doctor for an explanation?

13 minutes ago, kareng said:

You not be in the US.  Our tests don't look like that.  Why not ask the doctor for an explanation?

I am an American but I am currently not in the living in the U.S. which is adding to the confusion. I have spoken with my doctor, but as I said, it seems like many people have had troubles with misdiagnosis. 

Thank you for the response. 

The lab ranges are a bit odd, but I think you can tell that you have two positives.  It only takes one positive on the panel to move forward.  I only was positive on the DGP IgA, yet I had significant gut damage.  The next step would be a Gastroenterologist referral to obtain biopsies to confirm a celiac disease diagnosis.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

Karen is right.  Please talk to your doctor because we are not doctors and those lab ranges are a bit different.  I just wanted to stress that it only takes one positive on the panel to move forward.  

Edited by cyclinglady

That is correct that I have two positives. 

I already have a biopsy scheduled for this coming week, but I am wanting to have as much information as I can have before and after. 

I am curious if I return with a negative biopsy if that could mean that I am celiac sensitive or if it means that I have nothing to worry about. 

Thank you for the response! 

1 hour ago, narchar said:

That is correct that I have two positives. 

I already have a biopsy scheduled for this coming week, but I am wanting to have as much information as I can have before and after. 

I am curious if I return with a negative biopsy if that could mean that I am celiac sensitive or if it means that I have nothing to worry about. 

Thank you for the response! 

Hello narchar......you have 2 positives and one of them, the Endomysium IgA, will only be positive from Celiac Disease.  No other disease will trigger a positive on that one.  It certainly is looking like Celiac to me.  Just remember that damage can be very patchy in the small intestine and if they don't take enough samples, a diagnosis can still be missed.  It can even be missed if they take numerous samples.......it all depends on the luck of the draw and if they hit a damaged area.  So, if after the biopsy they tell you no Celiac, a dietary trial is in order.  Gluten sensitivity only will not produce a positive EMA (Endomysium) test.  Good luck and tell them to take MANY samples!

Thank you for all of the information. This is extremely helpful. I had read elsewhere that the Endomysium IgA test was a strong indicator, but it never hurts to double or triple check. I guess it looks like it's time for me to completely appreciate eating gluten before my endoscopy! 

54 minutes ago, narchar said:

Thank you for all of the information. This is extremely helpful. I had read elsewhere that the Endomysium IgA test was a strong indicator, but it never hurts to double or triple check. I guess it looks like it's time for me to completely appreciate eating gluten before my endoscopy! 

Binge away, baby!  ;)