Auldtwa

projectile vomiting when glutened

Rate this topic

I asked about this a few years ago.  The only response was "yeah, sometimes you vomit."  I've experienced it again and wonder whether there is any newer research on it.  

I have been diagnosed with celiac disease, after severe anemia. My biopsies were "anomalous"  but my blood work wasn't.  I didn't really have gut issues.     I've been gluten free for about 5 years.  I am not particularly sensitive to trace gluten; I can eat a french fry from McDonalds, for example, without ill effect, and I'm not afraid of "made in a facility that also processes wheat." .  But if I get a real dose, the reaction is REALLY strong.  Projectile vomiting for hours, though no lower gut involvement, nor cramps, etc--I just start vomiting like mad.  It is a very distinctive feeling--not at all like food poisoning.  Once was a "gluten free" dumpling that they didn't mention had soy sauce in it. Once was a muffin when the server though I said "pumpkin."  Once was a piece of pizza my daughter had brought home from a group she belongs to in a box labeled "gluten free."  Looks like someone stuck a piece of regular pizza in the box.   The most recent was a sushi mislabeled as crab but apparently imitation crab--there's a huge difference.  The last one was life threatening since I'm now on insulin.  The vomiting put me in diabetic shock and the whole episode got me paramedics, an ambulance ride, and hours in the ER, though once I got sugar in me and anti vomit meds, I was fine.  Almost instantaneously, in fact. 

My question is: how often is this sort of thing (the vomiting, not the diabetic shock, which I understand) a side effect of a big dose of gluten?   Is it typical result of being 'glutened" , or unusual?  Has anyone else experienced this?   I saw a post from a friend who was talking about some other 'eliminate stuff" diet who said that this kind of vomiting can happen if you suddenly ingest whatever it is you've eliminated.  Does anyone know about this?  Is there any research on the mechanism that causes such vomiting? Again, before I went gluten free, bread and other glutening things did not bother my stomach at all.

I now have anti-vomit meds I can use if I start urping, and a hideously expensive glucagon injection system if I pass out from low blood sugar.  If you are diabetic on insulin  as well as celiac, I  do recommend these precautions.  

Edited by Auldtwa

Yeah, last HUGE does for me was in 2016, i lost motor control and was vomiting collapsed on the floor so hard there was blood in it then kept on heaving for hours. One of my friends thought I was dead since I turned white and my fitness tracker said my pulse dropped into the 30s for the episode. Several minor exposures since then but nothing that bad. >.< It causings my immune system to go after my nervous system and my brain.

Heads up you might do what I did, I wear dog tags, one standard with my info on it. one red medical tag with my disease, blood types, allergies, other medical issues and emergency contact info. That way if I collapse in public people know to check the red tags, they are standard for emergency medical info.

Celiac disease is like a chameleon— always changing.  Like you, I was only anemic before my diagnosis (no GI issues).  But each glutening has been different (and I had only cross contamination issues to my knowledge.  Symptoms so different that I went back to my GI for confirmation each time.  I have vomited.  So much that my capillaries break in my face (leopard look) and I have passed out.    Like you, I have been taken to ER.  But what is more worrisome is that with gluten exposures, another autoimmune disorder can emerge, at least for me.  

I have healed from celiac disease (biopsies normal as of 1/2018), but I have a confirmed new autoimmune chronic gastritis on top of my celiac disease and Hashimoto’s.  

Thanks for sharing your story.  

I don't think throwing up when you eat wheat is a very normal symptom of celiac disease.  You should talk to a doctor about it. Projectile vomiting can happen when there is increased pressure in the brain (like a brain bleed) and probably in other cases. Something unusual is going on but I don't know what. It could be a wheat allergy or another complication of celiac disease. I get immediate anxiety and lots of neurological problems but I don't throw up. If you are allergic to wheat (IGE antibodies) that could possibly why your blood test came back normal (the test for celiac disease is different than for a food allergy). I haven't had any blood work so I don't know what I have. 

Some people can eat a food that they are allergic to, but when the go to exercise, drink alcohol or do something that effects their intestine they get an immune reaction. 

Your very quick vomiting does sound more like an allergy than an intolerance.  You could get wheat allergy testing to see if that is part of the problem.

On 2/20/2018 at 9:21 PM, Auldtwa said:

I asked about this a few years ago.  The only response was "yeah, sometimes you vomit."  I've experienced it again and wonder whether there is any newer research on it.  

I have been diagnosed with celiac disease, after severe anemia. My biopsies were "anomalous"  but my blood work wasn't.  I didn't really have gut issues.     I've been gluten free for about 5 years.  I am not particularly sensitive to trace gluten; I can eat a french fry from McDonalds, for example, without ill effect, and I'm not afraid of "made in a facility that also processes wheat." .  But if I get a real dose, the reaction is REALLY strong.  Projectile vomiting for hours, though no lower gut involvement, nor cramps, etc--I just start vomiting like mad.  It is a very distinctive feeling--not at all like food poisoning.  Once was a "gluten free" dumpling that they didn't mention had soy sauce in it. Once was a muffin when the server though I said "pumpkin."  Once was a piece of pizza my daughter had brought home from a group she belongs to in a box labeled "gluten free."  Looks like someone stuck a piece of regular pizza in the box.   The most recent was a sushi mislabeled as crab but apparently imitation crab--there's a huge difference.  The last one was life threatening since I'm now on insulin.  The vomiting put me in diabetic shock and the whole episode got me paramedics, an ambulance ride, and hours in the ER, though once I got sugar in me and anti vomit meds, I was fine.  Almost instantaneously, in fact. 

My question is: how often is this sort of thing (the vomiting, not the diabetic shock, which I understand) a side effect of a big dose of gluten?   Is it typical result of being 'glutened" , or unusual?  Has anyone else experienced this?   I saw a post from a friend who was talking about some other 'eliminate stuff" diet who said that this kind of vomiting can happen if you suddenly ingest whatever it is you've eliminated.  Does anyone know about this?  Is there any research on the mechanism that causes such vomiting? Again, before I went gluten free, bread and other glutening things did not bother my stomach at all.

I now have anti-vomit meds I can use if I start urping, and a hideously expensive glucagon injection system if I pass out from low blood sugar.  If you are diabetic on insulin  as well as celiac, I  do recommend these precautions.  

I'm a coeliac since Aug 2nd 2005 and like you, when I get Gluten-ed I have a terrifying reaction, the vomiting is so intense that i can hardly breathe and then the food is all up, then the Bile and then the blood and when you try and explain to the staff in a restaurant what happens they apologies as if you're being over dramatic. My eye become blood shot, I'm recovering at the moment from an episode where they gave me a full wheat bap instead of the gluten-free one and waiting for an Endoscopy .And you're right it's not like vomiting from a bug or ordinary food poisonoing, i feel like an animal when the whole thing takes over my body

If I get gluten in my diet the next morning I vomit until I end up in the ER. It took me years to figure it out and because I had eliminated gluten they couldn’t do a test for Celiac. I didn’t even realize I could be Celiac. The symptoms started out vague long ago and each year would get worse. I am thankful people blog about their symptoms or I would most likely still be sick. I used to take Gluten Cutters product when I thought I had eaten gluten accidentally but then my store stopped carrying them. Now I use charcoal capsules and they usually work.