Jump to content
  • Sign Up
  • Join Our Community!

    Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

naomimoore

Do My Tests Point Towards Celiac Disease?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone, 

 

I am sure that this question has been asked multiple times but I am new to this forum as well as the Celiac world. I haven't been feeling like myself health-wise for a couple years now, with my stomach always being bloated, crampy, irritated, and just plain old not feeling well. I am a 20 year old nursing student so I had not had the time to focus on what the issue may be but I finally decided that I wanted to figure it out. I love pasta, but every time I ate it my stomach would expand to the size of a 5 month old pregnant woman and become rock solid :unsure: I got tested for gluten sensitivity and the test came back as having high allergen gluten IgG levels. It says that the normal amount is less than 2.0 mcg/mL and my results read 6.4 mcg/mL. The doctor at my school said the only way to determine if this is Celiac is to get a biopsy and see a GI doctor. It's not easy for me to do that as I am a busy student, out of state. I was wondering if anyone knew if this was a good indication of Celiac or non-celiac gluten sensitivity. I know it is hard to determine from that one test but I'm looking for all the help I can get. Thank you! 

 

- Naomi Moore 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, naomimoore said:

Hi Everyone, 

 

I am sure that this question has been asked multiple times but I am new to this forum as well as the Celiac world. I haven't been feeling like myself health-wise for a couple years now, with my stomach always being bloated, crampy, irritated, and just plain old not feeling well. I am a 20 year old nursing student so I had not had the time to focus on what the issue may be but I finally decided that I wanted to figure it out. I love pasta, but every time I ate it my stomach would expand to the size of a 5 month old pregnant woman and become rock solid :unsure: I got tested for gluten sensitivity and the test came back as having high allergen gluten IgG levels. It says that the normal amount is less than 2.0 mcg/mL and my results read 6.4 mcg/mL. The doctor at my school said the only way to determine if this is Celiac is to get a biopsy and see a GI doctor. It's not easy for me to do that as I am a busy student, out of state. I was wondering if anyone knew if this was a good indication of Celiac or non-celiac gluten sensitivity. I know it is hard to determine from that one test but I'm looking for all the help I can get. Thank you! 

 

- Naomi Moore 

There is a bit more comprehensive full celiac panel for screening then they confirm diagnosis with the biopsy of the small intestine via endoscope. You have to be eating gluten daily for the testing to be accurate I will post a link to read up on it, and some more comprehensive ones if you wish. You can go and get the blood test down now and perhaps see about getting a GI consult and endoscope scheduled for this upcoming spring break if your lucky. Your intial test results and the distention make me think you probably have it. IF confirmed we can help you out more with dealing with this. PS tons of gluten free pasta options so no loss there, heck I even found carb free pasta to help me with my extra restrictions from my additional AI disease. http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, naomimoore said:

Hi Everyone, 

 

I am sure that this question has been asked multiple times but I am new to this forum as well as the Celiac world. I haven't been feeling like myself health-wise for a couple years now, with my stomach always being bloated, crampy, irritated, and just plain old not feeling well. I am a 20 year old nursing student so I had not had the time to focus on what the issue may be but I finally decided that I wanted to figure it out. I love pasta, but every time I ate it my stomach would expand to the size of a 5 month old pregnant woman and become rock solid :unsure: I got tested for gluten sensitivity and the test came back as having high allergen gluten IgG levels. It says that the normal amount is less than 2.0 mcg/mL and my results read 6.4 mcg/mL. The doctor at my school said the only way to determine if this is Celiac is to get a biopsy and see a GI doctor. It's not easy for me to do that as I am a busy student, out of state. I was wondering if anyone knew if this was a good indication of Celiac or non-celiac gluten sensitivity. I know it is hard to determine from that one test but I'm looking for all the help I can get. Thank you! 

 

- Naomi Moore 

Well.....as a nurse, you better get used to taking orders from a doctor.  Fortunately, your school doctor gave you excellent advice.  You will need to see a GI.  What to do now?  Confirm that you took the appropriate test for antibodies (autoimmune).  It sounds like you took a food allergy test (IgG) and that is not the same.    If you can, post the actual verbage  from the test. These are the actual celiac antibodies tests (as Ennis pointed out):

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

Igg antibody versions in celiac testing are often ordered when an IgA deficiency is suspected.  If you just had some blood allergy testing (which is not super accurate for anything (e.g. cat dander, trees, peanuts), ask your school doctor to run the celiac panel.  Any medical doctor can do this.  After confirming you took the proper tests and/or get a positive on the celiac panel,  set up a GI appointment today at home after school is out or considering Spring Break.  Doctors offices may be willing to work around your schedule.   After all, you are a nursing student (you are in the club now).  

Getting  a celiac disease diagnosis can be complicated, especially in your situation.  Please research (college students are good at this) so that you can make an informed decision.   Best bet, is to simply start with the celiac antibodies blood panel.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2018 at 8:31 PM, cyclinglady said:

Well.....as a nurse, you better get used to taking orders from a doctor.  Fortunately, your school doctor gave you excellent advice.  You will need to see a GI.  What to do now?  Confirm that you took the appropriate test for antibodies (autoimmune).  It sounds like you took a food allergy test (IgG) and that is not the same.    If you can, post the actual verbage  from the test. These are the actual celiac antibodies tests (as Ennis pointed out):

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

Igg antibody versions in celiac testing are often ordered when an IgA deficiency is suspected.  If you just had some blood allergy testing (which is not super accurate for anything (e.g. cat dander, trees, peanuts), ask your school doctor to run the celiac panel.  Any medical doctor can do this.  After confirming you took the proper tests and/or get a positive on the celiac panel,  set up a GI appointment today at home after school is out or considering Spring Break.  Doctors offices may be willing to work around your schedule.   After all, you are a nursing student (you are in the club now).  

Getting  a celiac disease diagnosis can be complicated, especially in your situation.  Please research (college students are good at this) so that you can make an informed decision.   Best bet, is to simply start with the celiac antibodies blood panel.  

Thank you for your help! 

 

So if my blood test was simply for the blood allergy testing but came back positive for having high gluten allergen levels what would this mean? That I am at least sensitive to gluten? Or could it mean nothing at all? I have an appointment in a few weeks to see my primary care doctor and get a referral to a GI doctor. I have stopped eating gluten as best I can since the results came back and I feel a little better lately with more energy but I want definite answers before I decide to completely eliminate gluten from my diet full time. However, even if I am non-celiac gluten sensitive I will still want to take gluten out of my diet. Thank you for all of your help! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, naomimoore said:

Thank you for your help! 

 

So if my blood test was simply for the blood allergy testing but came back positive for having high gluten allergen levels what would this mean? That I am at least sensitive to gluten? Or could it mean nothing at all? I have an appointment in a few weeks to see my primary care doctor and get a referral to a GI doctor. I have stopped eating gluten as best I can since the results came back and I feel a little better lately with more energy but I want definite answers before I decide to completely eliminate gluten from my diet full time. However, even if I am non-celiac gluten sensitive I will still want to take gluten out of my diet. Thank you for all of your help! 

If you want accurate tests for Celiac do NOT go gluten free until all testing is complete.  Blood allergy tests don’t seem to be very accurate for food allergies and do not test for Celiac.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Top Posters +

  • Upcoming Events

    • March 24, 2019 Until March 27, 2019
      0  
      NEW ORLEANS GOURMET GLUTEN-FREE mini GETAWAY    March 24 ~ 27, 2019   We have arranged a fun and Gluten-free food filled mini in the city known for it's food and fun.  We have arranged to eat many of the famous dishes that aren't usually Gluten-free at a few of the World Renown restaurants.   Staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street in the center of the French Quarter, you'll be able to enjoy the ambiance of the city at all hours.   Our itinerary will include a Luxury Coach tour of the city and surrounding area - Admission to The National World War II Museum, including the Tom Hanks" 4D film "Beyond All Boundaries" - an exciting Airboat ride and tour through the Bayou.      This it the 3rd time we have visited New Orleans and it has always been well attended, so join us even if you've been there before.  Check out our website for the complete itinerary and cost.    Due to contractual obligations we must have 20 participants by October 31, 2018 to make this a go.      If you have any questions just give us a call at 410-939-3218.  Bob & Ruth info@bobandruths.com (410) 939-3218
    • March 27, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM
      0  
       
       
       
      Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group
       
       
       
      Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.
       
      The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.
       
      The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.
       
      The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • March 30, 2019 Until March 31, 2019
      0  
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 
       
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      86,786
    • Most Online
      4,125

    Newest Member
    Shaun Wong
    Joined
  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      112,056
    • Total Posts
      956,618
  • Who's Online (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Forum Discussions

    I do not have any ideas except to research other autoimmune disorders.  Once you have one,  you can develop more AI issues.  Any possibility of drug side effects?  For example the FDA has a black box warning in a class of antibiotics called fluoroquinilines (e.g. Cipro by Bayer).  These can cause tendon issues.  Here is a list of autoimmune disorders.  Not all are here, but it is a start.   https://www.aarda.org/diseaselist/ Ones associated with vertigo: https://www.hindawi.c
    And he needs to be super strict in his gluten free diet! SUPER strict, not just low gluten. No cross contamination, NONE.  I am so sorry, there are no short cuts with the testing. It flat out sucks but there you have it.  Welcome to the forum!
Hi TDZ, My understanding is the same, a full gluten challenge is needed for the DH diagnosis.  The method the use for DH is to take a skin biopsy from next to a lesion, not on it.  They check the biopsy for IgA antibodies. I don't know of any way to shortcut the process and avoid eating gluten to get tested.  There may be a test some  day that doesn't require it, but for now I don't think there are any out there. One thing he might not have tried is avoiding iodine.  Some of the m
  • Blog Entries

  • ×
    ×
    • Create New...