Rate this topic

Hi, I am having a problem with reading Kaiser's test results for IgG  and IgA.  My dr told me to come in for more lab work because my test results were abnormal....are they?

COMPONENT YOUR VALUE STANDARD RANGE
TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE IgG 1.13 Index <=0.90 Index
Tissue transglutaminase IgA 0.43 Index <=0.90 Index

43 minutes ago, PAMAYA76 said:

Hi, I am having a problem with reading Kaiser's test results for IgG  and IgA.  My dr told me to come in for more lab work because my test results were abnormal....are they?

COMPONENT YOUR VALUE STANDARD RANGE
TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE IgG 1.13 Index <=0.90 Index
Tissue transglutaminase IgA 0.43 Index <=0.90 Index

Welcome!  You do have a positive TTG IgG and while not common, it is a positive.  The next step is further bloodwork or a Gastroenterologist (GI) referral.  What is strange is that they did not run a Immunoglobulin A test to see if you are IgA deficient or to help validate the TTG IgA test (used as a control test in the case of celiac disease).  

Your doctor should order the rest of the celiac panel which includes the DGP IgA, DGP IgG, EMA and the Immunoglobulin A tests.

A better explanation can be found here:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

Usually, a PCP at Kaiser is only authorized to do the basic celiac screening.  You might insist on the GI referral if your PCP can not order the rest of the panel.   It is a way to help keep costs down and honestly, the TTG test catches most, but not all celiacs (like me).  A GI at Kaiser has full access to all GI lab tests.  

Do you have any other autoimmune issues (e.g. thyroid, type 1 diabetes, etc.)?    That can impact testing a bit.  What made you or the doctor suspect celiac disease?  Were you consuming gluten?  All celiac testing requires you to be on a full gluten diet.

Edited by cyclinglady

No, not off the hook.  You still had a positive.  He probably needs to order the rest of the panel.  Even if he says he did a GI consult who said that your result is odd, but requires no further testing, I would recommend getting another doctor (within Kaiser) who migh be more celiac-savvy and complete the testing.  

Your IgA is normal so the TTG IgA test should have worked.  Looks like it did not.  I have celiac disease and I have NEVER had a positive TTG IgA Or TTG IgG.  There is a reason why there are several celiac tests.  Not all of them are 100% accurate.

At this point you might have celiac disease or Non-celiac gluten sensitivity.  In either case gluten could make you sick.  Untreated, years later, you could be like me and start fracturing your bones or adding on new autoimmune disorders.  I had no GI issues when I was diagnosed.  I had two different anemias, but since one was genetic, I learned to live with the other “you must have heavy periods.”  A GI diagnosed me when I went in for a routine colonoscopy.  He gave me the celiac blood test which only had the DGP IgA being positive (not common at all) yet my endoscopy revealed moderate to severe damage.  Two months later, back fractures.  There is no way for me to build up much bone at my age (50’s).  

The choice is yours.  But if you do not advocate for yourself, believe me, Kaiser will not.  Not knocking Kaiser.  Most healthcare is like that.  No one has time to save everybody!