Rate this topic

Hi everyone. I'm a 29 year old white male in the US who's eaten gluten ny whole life no issues.

Recently I've gotten back in the gym after a long disease-related hiatus. I've been back to it for about 9 months and starting to plateau, so I started looking to supplements to give me an edge. One in particular, yohimbe, seemed to show great promise. I tried it and it made ne a super soldier....I could run for long periods without getting winded, and I was felt no fatigue in between sets on weightlifting. Unfortunately I only got this affect the first time I took it. Seeking to replicate that, I started experimenting with higher doses abd different brands. Last weekend I did something very stupid, I took an extremely high dosage (over 1000 mg). I did finally get a kick from it but it, like my first time, but it was far too much. I was so jittery I couldn't work out. My eyes got bloodshot and my heart started racing so fast I felt it would explode. I was extremely naseaous. I stayed in this state from about 9 at night till 7 in the morning. 

The next day after finally getting some sleep I felt fine. I took off the gym, went to a Persian restaurant and finished the book on the Soviet Afghan war I had been reading. I hadn't had anything to eat so I got quite a bit, 2 kabobs and a bowl of ghormeh sabzi, I did notice they didn't give me any bread but I didn't want to complain so I just ate it all with the rice.

The next day, though, I felt very strange. I woke up and had been bran buds as usual then worked out, I was terribly gassy in the gym though and just felt sick, lots of stomache pain. The next day I was so sick I couldn't go to the gym. I redcued my food intake to a few pieces of toast with butter but I still felt worse. Over the next few days I went to toast with peanut butter, toast, and finally just crackers. I just got sicker and in more pain. Finally on Friday I remembered I had had bo bread on Saturday, so I cut it out and I felt better. Today I felt even better during the day. I didn't eat bread at all until dinner, then I had a single slice. Now I'm curled up in a ball with terrible gas 2 hours later. Is it possible that my stupidity has given me Celiac's disease?

14 minutes ago, Countjulian said:

Hi everyone. I'm a 29 year old white male in the US who's eaten gluten ny whole life no issues.

Recently I've gotten back in the gym after a long disease-related hiatus. I've been back to it for about 9 months and starting to plateau, so I started looking to supplements to give me an edge. One in particular, yohimbe, seemed to show great promise. I tried it and it made ne a super soldier....I could run for long periods without getting winded, and I was felt no fatigue in between sets on weightlifting. Unfortunately I only got this affect the first time I took it. Seeking to replicate that, I started experimenting with higher doses abd different brands. Last weekend I did something very stupid, I took an extremely high dosage (over 1000 mg). I did finally get a kick from it but it, like my first time, but it was far too much. I was so jittery I couldn't work out. My eyes got bloodshot and my heart started racing so fast I felt it would explode. I was extremely naseaous. I stayed in this state from about 9 at night till 7 in the morning. 

The next day after finally getting some sleep I felt fine. I took off the gym, went to a Persian restaurant and finished the book on the Soviet Afghan war I had been reading. I hadn't had anything to eat so I got quite a bit, 2 kabobs and a bowl of ghormeh sabzi, I did notice they didn't give me any bread but I didn't want to complain so I just ate it all with the rice.

The next day, though, I felt very strange. I woke up and had been bran buds as usual then worked out, I was terribly gassy in the gym though and just felt sick, lots of stomache pain. The next day I was so sick I couldn't go to the gym. I redcued my food intake to a few pieces of toast with butter but I still felt worse. Over the next few days I went to toast with peanut butter, toast, and finally just crackers. I just got sicker and in more pain. Finally on Friday I remembered I had had bo bread on Saturday, so I cut it out and I felt better. Today I felt even better during the day. I didn't eat bread at all until dinner, then I had a single slice. Now I'm curled up in a ball with terrible gas 2 hours later. Is it possible that my stupidity has given me Celiac's disease?

Nah....unlikely, at least according to the most current research.  Experts are leaning towards a virus triggering celiac disease.  

But as an athlete, cut out that processed gym crap.  Eat real food!   Your performance on a good diet will improve.  Did you research those products?  Try searching the FDA website for product recalls.  You may be shocked!   And as a Mom, read and follow the label instructions.  That is how people overdose!  Moderation!  

Now, you could have celiac disease.  It is possible.  Get tested though before you go gluten free.  NONE of the tests will work if you are gluten free.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

You could have bad case of food poisoning from the restaurant or from not washing your hands before eating after a nice and dirty gym visit.  It could even be the flu (the flu shot was not super effective this year.  

Hope the book was good!  Lesson learned.  Been there and done other things like that!  ?

I have had slight symptoms all my life, but considered them "Normal" til I did something stupid with alchol and triggered my symptoms to change to much more noticeable ones before linking it to celiac. (short summary to spare you the details). But there are cases where a shock to the body triggers the dormant gene or changes the symptoms.

I am also getting into body building....yohimbe helps with preventing fatigue and in combination with BCAAS can prevent muscle break down especially when you do not eat enough leading to a more cut body build.  The Platue feeling is normal with this supplement....as you do not get that tired hurt feeling. It is best used in 6 weeks on 6 weeks off intervals to reset your body and try using it when cutting out.

I might suggest also you look at stuff higher in zinc for recovery after and pulsing your supplements to reset your body. I rotate my proteins and use plant based ones like Naked Pea in cooking crackers, Pegan (sancha inchi), Jarrow Pumpkin (high in zinc for recovery), MRM Veggie Elite, and I used to use Nutra Key V-Pro often, Julian also makes a gluten free grain free bread called paleo bread great for us body builders (I follow a keto/paleo diet) and they have a whole arrangement of good proteins.

I would follow up with cycling ladies suggestion on getting screened the simple blood test will help, right now your body might just be in shock and not celiac. But best to rule it out anyway.

16 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Nah....unlikely, at least according to the most current research.  Experts are leaning towards a virus triggering celiac disease.  

But as an athlete, cut out that processed gym crap.  Eat real food!   Your performance on a good diet will improve.  Did you research those products?  Try searching the FDA website for product recalls.  You may be shocked!   And as a Mom, read and follow the label instructions.  That is how people overdose!  Moderation!  

Now, you could have celiac disease.  It is possible.  Get tested though before you go gluten free.  NONE of the tests will work if you are gluten free.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

You could have bad case of food poisoning from the restaurant or from not washing your hands before eating after a nice and dirty gym visit.  It could even be the flu (the flu shot was not super effective this year.  

Hope the book was good!  Lesson learned.  Been there and done other things like that!  ?

Thanks for the advice! Problem is, when I eat bread, I get violently sick. I can't continue to eat gluten or I'll be in bed screaming all the time. I'm wondering, do Celiacs usually respond this violently to gluten? It's so bad I can't do anything but lie on bed and scream. 

1 hour ago, Countjulian said:

Thanks for the advice! Problem is, when I eat bread, I get violently sick. I can't continue to eat gluten or I'll be in bed screaming all the time. I'm wondering, do Celiacs usually respond this violently to gluten? It's so bad I can't do anything but lie on bed and scream. 

If you suspect celiac disease, call your doctor and ask about testing while you are still on a gluten diet.  Be sure to tell him about that supplement you took in an “extremely high dose”.    Did you even read about the serious side effects of it?  Maybe you are reacting to it!  

https://www.webmd.com/diet/supplement-guide-yohimbe#1

8 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

If you suspect celiac disease, call your doctor and ask about testing while you are still on a gluten diet.  Be sure to tell him about that supplement you took in an “extremely high dose”.    Did you even read about the serious side effects of it?  Maybe you are reacting to it!  

https://www.webmd.com/diet/supplement-guide-yohimbe#1

Yes I understand about the Yohimbe sides but I haven't had any in over a week.