This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How can I tell my 2 yr old has been glutened?

GR8ness

GR8ness Rookie

My son turned 2 a few days ago.  Since his Bday he has been acting ornery and today his stomach is distended again but not nearly as bad from before.  He has been fussy all day and more tired.  He still is playing with his cars and smiling but he is fussy.  He used to hit his head and run into things before I guess to try and rid of his pain  he did this twice today poor kid. 

I ordered gluten free pizza and I worry that cross contamination may have occurred.  

He has been gluten-free for almost 3 months since his celiac diagnosis.  Since then he has been speaking more but he still doesn’t tell me when he is in pain.   He doesn’t know how to communicate that yet.  I’m counting down the days and trying to teach him how to say, “tummy hurts,” but he’s just too young to correlate food and pain.  This breaks my heart and I just want to know!! I have no idea what having this autoimmune disease feels like.  What does the pain feel like?  Does your stomach bloat and if so does it happen right away or within a few days?  Anything else I should know?

Thanks so much,

Stressed and Worried Mom

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Since he is little, just into the diet for three months,  and has some catching up to do, consider NOT eating out for the next few months.  He is not going to miss fast food at this age.  Most  likely, it was the pizza.  Dining out is like playing Russian roulette.  It takes time to get down all the things you need to explain to the chef or manager.  Know that wheat flour can stay  in the air for up to 24 hours or coat the surfaces of a kitchen.  So, pizza restaurants and bakeries can be very tricky.  I personally avoid them.  

Want pizza?  Get a certified gluten-free one in the freezer section.  

Let’s face it.  The Standard American Diet has produced a nation of sick and overweight people.  Simply converting everything over to a gluten free version is not good in my opinion.  Eating Whole Foods in their natural state is better.  Not that I do not cheat...I just made two batches of gluten free cookies today.  But I will freeze them and have them on hand for parties, etc.  

Everyone responds differently, but I am sure he is hurting.  It sound like you can tell he is uncomfortable because he is exhibiting comparable symptoms prior to his diagnosis.  But do not beat yourself up.  You are doing a fine job.  There is a steep learning curve, but you will get there!  

Hugs!  

Ennis-TX Grand Master
6 hours ago, GR8ness said:

My son turned 2 a few days ago.  Since his Bday he has been acting ornery and today his stomach is distended again but not nearly as bad from before.  He has been fussy all day and more tired.  He still is playing with his cars and smiling but he is fussy.  He used to hit his head and run into things before I guess to try and rid of his pain  he did this twice today poor kid. 

I ordered gluten free pizza and I worry that cross contamination may have occurred.  

He has been gluten-free for almost 3 months since his celiac diagnosis.  Since then he has been speaking more but he still doesn’t tell me when he is in pain.   He doesn’t know how to communicate that yet.  I’m counting down the days and trying to teach him how to say, “tummy hurts,” but he’s just too young to correlate food and pain.  This breaks my heart and I just want to know!! I have no idea what having this autoimmune disease feels like.  What does the pain feel like?  Does your stomach bloat and if so does it happen right away or within a few days?  Anything else I should know?

Thanks so much,

Stressed and Worried Mom

"Ordered Pizza" NO pizza from a chain despite saying gluten free is actually going to be gluten free -_- They cook it in the same ovens, use hte same ladle to spread the sauce, reach in to the same ingredient pins often after touching a gluten pizza, and some even use the same pizza cutter. They are "Fad Diet" gluten free not medical.
As mentioned above go to the freezer section and get one from your local store. Again as mentioned for hte first few months your going to want a whole foods only diet with no to very little processed foods to boost his healing and keep it simple. The SAD diet is not very good for us anyway. You might want to avoid dairy for a few weeks after each exposure to help a bit with easing digestion or remove it completely.

GR8ness Rookie

Thanks guys.  We just started introducing dairy back into his diet.  I literally have kept him in a “bubble” at my house and for the most part, been making homemade, organic gluten-free meals.  Since it was his birthday, and had a recommendation from someone who has a gluten intolerance, I thought I would give this pizza place a try.   

But you guys are right, he doesn’t know how to tell me he is sick and I’m still learning A LOT.  I’ll be more diligent for sure.  Once I think I get it, I feel like I’m back to square one.  I didn’t know just having flour in the air can cause him to be sick too.  So much to learn!! 

knitty kitty Grand Master
On 2/26/2018 at 3:50 PM, GR8ness said:

Thanks guys.  We just started introducing dairy back into his diet.  I literally have kept him in a “bubble” at my house and for the most part, been making homemade, organic gluten-free meals.  Since it was his birthday, and had a recommendation from someone who has a gluten intolerance, I thought I would give this pizza place a try.   

But you guys are right, he doesn’t know how to tell me he is sick and I’m still learning A LOT.  I’ll be more diligent for sure.  Once I think I get it, I feel like I’m back to square one.  I didn’t know just having flour in the air can cause him to be sick too.  So much to learn!! 

Sign language for babies might allow you and  your son to communicate better.  Babies taught sign language are less fussy and not delayed in learning to talk.  

Keep a food journal for your son, with notations for bowel movements, bloating and behavior changes.  Food journals help in pinpointing problematic food and progression of symptoms.  Also a handy record for the doctor.  

Be encouraged.  

GR8ness Rookie

Thank you!! I didn’t think to make a journal!!! 

Omg I tried sooo hard with sign language.  He was so sick he would just look at me like in a daze.  I guess this is what “brain fog” means.  He would do it sometimes even though I did it so much. I did stop though.  I’m sure he will pick it up now. He is speaking so much more even within posting this comment.  He’s even grown so much too!!  

Ill for sure write a journal and introduce sign language again 

thanks 

Archived