Ottawa Dude

Cheese that's labelled gluten free?

Rate this topic

My wife is celiac, and she seemed to have gotten sick from the swiss cheese purchased at local grocery store.  We generally stick to products labelled "gluten free", but can't seem to find any regular cheese that's labelled gluten free.  There's vegan cheese, but it tastes terrible.  Is there any milk based cheese that's labelled gluten free?

I have never run across a cheese that is labeled gluten free but I also have never run across a cheese that contains gluten. You just look at the ingredients list. Here is a link to Kraft and how they label gluten on their products.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/healthy-living-ideas/articles/food-safety/label-reading-for-gluten-information.aspx

1 hour ago, Ottawa Dude said:

My wife is celiac, and she seemed to have gotten sick from the swiss cheese purchased at local grocery store.  We generally stick to products labelled "gluten free", but can't seem to find any regular cheese that's labelled gluten free.  There's vegan cheese, but it tastes terrible.  Is there any milk based cheese that's labelled gluten free?

Well many celiacs develop dairy intolerance, lactose intolerance or issues with other proteins like casein an whey. I have lactose intolerance and a whey allergy myself. I only only ever seen wheat used in blue cheese, and in some artisan blends it is very rare for a cheese of dairy or vegan to contain gluten. Bit curious to the brand etc. PS there are some nasty vegan cheeses out there...the good ones cost upward of $6-$12 for 8oz...IE Kite Hill, Leaf Cuisine, Tree Line, RAWKS, and Miyoko. Cheaper ones like go veggie, have a heart, and daiya can be hit and miss.

Call the company and ask about other lines they have and chances for it to be gluten contaminated.

Woolwich dairy makes goat cheeses and says they are gluten free on faq section of their website.

This brand is not sold in my country so i never tried it but i stick to only goat milk products which makes me more comfortable.

The problem can be either gluten or cows milk issue.I would try switching to % 100 goat milk products.I used to have horrible diarrhea,bloating and vomiting issues due to cows milk.

Our celiac association has a gluten free list which is updated daily and theres a section of gluten free cheeses too. As i know some dairy brands have cross contamination issues. If you dont have a list like that check with companies directly

Just now, Rob S. said:

Be careful if you are buying the cheese which is sliced. Good chance of cross contamination if they use the same slicer with products that contain gluten.

It is pretty rare that cheese would have gluten.  There are a few special cheeses with beer, but probably not sliced in a deli.  The health department does not allow cheese to be cut on the meat slicer.  They wouldn't use the cheese slicer for bread....  So the chances of cc are probably low in a typical grocery deli.

2 hours ago, kareng said:

It is pretty rare that cheese would have gluten.  There are a few special cheeses with beer, but probably not sliced in a deli.  The health department does not allow cheese to be cut on the meat slicer.  They wouldn't use the cheese slicer for bread....  So the chances of cc are probably low in a typical grocery deli.

Umm I watch the local deli guys at HEB slice meat and cheese on the same machine all the time....they toss the first 2-3 slices of the product in the trash, then package the rest on the paper and weight it for you and sale.....And yeah I do not buy from the deli....

1 hour ago, Ennis_TX said:

Umm I watch the local deli guys at HEB slice meat and cheese on the same machine all the time....they toss the first 2-3 slices of the product in the trash, then package the rest on the paper and weight it for you and sale.....And yeah I do not buy from the deli....

In most places, that is against nay the health code.  

I don't get anything cut at the deli unless I go to one particular store that will actually clean the slicer for me if I want something.  Plus, they apparently sell all gluten-free items except this one loaf thing they sell.  Otherwise, I get prepackaged cheese.  I think it was just Landolakes cheese I got the other day and the grocery store had a gluten-free label on the price label area. And I believe Sargento also is gluten-free.  Some store brands might be also, and some stores now will state gluten-free on the pricing area even if it does not say so on the package.  There are also gluten-free pre-sliced deli meats but many contain corn or soy, so if you need to be careful with that, read the ingredients. 

I had some sharp cheese (block cheese, not sliced) by Cabot one day though, and most of their cheese are gluten-free, but for some reason that sharp one gave me a stomach ache.  

I guess we all need to experiment.  Keeping a food diary helps.  And sometimes it's not just writing down what you ate, but also the brand.